President Trump Signs Music Modernization Act Into Law With Kid Rock, Sam Moore As Witnesses

techristian

• Members

This is mind-bogglingly huge legislation and the biggest overhaul of copyright law in many decades. It will not do much for current big-time stars, but for the smaller to medium sized artists, writers, and producers, this is absolutely huge. The current copyright laws were inadequate to deal with music piracy, and then again when streaming took over sales. The streaming has been a huge problem and for people like myself it has meant thousands and thousands of dollars of lost income. Where I live there was a team of about four of us Grammy members that lobbied hard for a couple years, along with hundreds of Grammy members across the country. We were fighting huge tech and broadcast companies worth billions that spent millions on lobbyists. And we had…. us, and that’s basically it. The fact that we got this omnibus bill through and unanimously is amazing, and I can tell you that not even close to everyone was on board when we started begging and pleading with legislators. The beauty of this bill is that it is really about simplifying things. The biggest component is the MLC for which we already have a very effective model to follow with SoundExchange. We just basically duplicate that and use a database of songs. ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC, and also NMPA/HFA already have backbones for the databasing that we an model for the MLC. The AMP that will finally get producers their streaming royalties will simply work through SoundExchange in a streamlined fashion instead of through clunky and unmanageable letters of direction – it will be automatic. This bill solves MOST of my huge frustrations as a working professional producer/mixer/songwriter. The only other truly frustrating thing is accurate crediting. I’m on the Grammy leadership committee for the Producers & Engineers wing and we are exploring options for that. But the MMA is huge.

• Members

Which is relevant because.......

Glad to see this. My question is how well will it be enforced?

Also an admittedly trivial side note but ...they had people like Sam Moore and Jeff Baxter in attendance and instead decided to single out or "highlight" a schlep like Kid Rock? Seriously?

Archived