Sadistic arranger.....

• Members
[shameless cross-post from another forum section....]

I showed up last night for rehearsal for a show that starts its run this Friday, and I find this in the book.......note the key signature.....

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t2018-10-02 19.53.03.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t137.9 KB ID:\t32356666","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32356666","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

Ya know, I would be fine with it if it were transcribed in B....but Cb?

angry02:philpalm:sm-explode

No fun to sight read that's for sure.

I'd go all enharmonic on it and think of it and use fingerings as though it were in B, once I had it scoped. smiley-wink

• Members

Please tell me a bit more about this devil...

I didn't mean to imply that you were unaware of that bit of gymnastics. Just trying to commiserate a bit with you. smiley-happy

I know of no other way to de- devil it. That's what orchestra players ( violinists anyway), the world over do when presented with awkward key signatures. We think of it enharmonically.

But we don't often have to make it up over the changes and then grab a few notes that the composer/arranger wants, and then go back to play something over the changes, etc.

Anyway, it's the kind of thing I'd have put together in a way that works for me by Friday night and the key signature by then wouldn't matter much anymore.

Good Luck. :)

• Members
Please tell me a bit more about this devil...

I didn't mean to imply that you were unaware of that bit of gymnastics. Just trying to commiserate a bit with you. smiley-happy

I know of no other way to de- devil it. That's what orchestra players ( violinists anyway), the world over do when presented with awkward key signatures. We think of it enharmonically.

But we don't often have to make it up over the changes and then grab a few notes that the composer/arranger wants, and then go back to play something over the changes, etc.

Anyway, it's the kind of thing I'd have put together in a way that works for me by Friday night and the key signature by then wouldn't matter much anymore.

Good Luck. :)

Absolutely. I spent my junior high and high school years as a violinist, and yeah, that's the way I try to think of it. Trouble for me is just sight-reading it. Once I've played through it a few times and worked out the fingerings, its no worse to play than anything else.

It was really amusing, though, to hear about a third of the pit come upon that key change and hit the wall. A few sour notes and several people all muttering impolite things at the exact some moment.......:lol: As I understand it, the only people who like Cb are harpists.

• Members

Play it into a DAW that does decent notation. Note-for-note if not a keyboard player. Set the key/transpose to what you want, print it out.

Might be too much trouble for someone not used to DAW or notation software - but would be a breeze for a sight-reading keyboard player with some software chops.

nat

• Members

Absolutely. I spent my junior high and high school years as a violinist, and yeah, that's the way I try to think of it. Trouble for me is just sight-reading it. Once I've played through it a few times and worked out the fingerings, its no worse to play than anything else.

It was really amusing, though, to hear about a third of the pit come upon that key change and hit the wall. A few sour notes and several people all muttering impolite things at the exact some moment.......:lol: As I understand it, the only people who like Cb are harpists.

Yeah, there likely would have been some crashing around at my old gig. Folks who maybe had an overall glance at their part beforehand and thought they had it covered and then ACK!! Ambushed. And it certainly can seem like someone was out to getcha.

I played some music when I played in The Conductor's Institute, modern stuff, that was without question someone's well planned revenge on orchestra players. Exposed moments of extreme difficulty...parts that didn't lay well for each instrument and somebody knew that damn well. Too evil to have happened by happenstance.

But most of the time it was "...it's no worse to play than anything else." The unmistakeable words of someone who knows his biz. :philthumb:

Archived