Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Physical Media Ever Make a Comeback?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Physical Media Ever Make a Comeback?

We all know what's happening with the CD. It probably won't go away entirely as long as bands can sell them on merch tables and playback devices exist (however, how many computers have optical drives these days), but the CD is in its twilight years.

DVD-A was DOA. Periodic attempts to revive the SACD or other DSD-based technology haven't gotten traction in the marketplace. And while Blu-Ray remains viable for movies, Blu-Ray surround audio isn't setting the world on fire.

So physical media seems to be winding down in favor of streaming. What I wonder is whether any kind of physical media could get traction in today's world. Vinyl has gained a niche market by (presumably) cool artwork and being able to hold something in your hand, but is there something that could once again become a mass-market item for music?
    CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

New cars don't have cd players in them. Take that as a pointer for where cd's are going. People aren't going to trash them,but they are yesterdays tech now.
    Streaming, and digital audio as a whole rule now. People have their whole music collections...On their phones...Bluetooth it to the car audio, the house system.

Convenience. Set up your playlists. As a geezer, I still like vinyl, cd's...The "Hold it in your hand" thing. Hell....I still like threading tape on to the old RTR. That used to be my MO with music. I'd buy a new album, record it on to the RTR and the cassette deck at the same time on first listen, then put it back in the sleeve. Listen to iit on the RTR at home, and the cassette on the road or at other's places.

Now? I have about 10 gigs on an MP3 player that links to my trucks system via USB. Except for NPR and Pacifica, the terra stations get little listens from me.

Progress.

Comment

Archival purposes DVD and CD. Would rather burn several CD in addition for copy instead of just one DVD etc.

As far as mass media consumption? Not likely soon.
      Paper books and newspapers and magazines too.
      Most of the content is out on the dig it al highway
      Data into devices

Last edited by nice keetee; 09-15-2018, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton View Post
        So physical media seems to be winding down in favor of streaming. What I wonder is whether any kind of physical media could get traction in today's world. Vinyl has gained a niche market by (presumably) cool artwork and being able to hold something in your hand, but is there something that could once again become a mass-market item for music?
        Live performance is sort of physical media.

Thinking about how I used to listen to music before the Internet was the "streaming" of the day - radio. And, for me, that's still the case today except that the music comes over the Internet to my computer rather than coming through the ether to my radio. In neither case, buying music on physical media was an option - I had (and have) plenty of music without owning the media. And music that I want to keep so I can access it at any time gets stored, by me, on local media, which doesn't make the artist any more wealthy.

It's easy to go from here to "we need a new model to pay musical artists for their work."

--
        "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
        Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

I'm a CD fan through and through. Much better sound quality (and a lot cheaper) than vinyl. Streaming doesn't do it for me. I like a physical product. I also like the booklet that comes with a CD. It interests me to know where the album was recorded, who produced it, who engineered it, and who the band would like to thank etc.

And I like the fact that the booklet contains printed lyrics.

I buy most of my CDs from Amazon and Ebay, either new or second-hand. I can't see that changing in the forseeable future.

I have an excellent CD player and quality headphones. The clarity is wonderful!
          And the men who hold high places must be the ones who start...

Comment

I've toyed with making my music available on a USB thumb drive. It would be great for a merch table because it takes up so little space and doesn't weigh much. It could also have artwork, lyrics, info on how the music was recorded, even stems for remixing. If someone wanted to put all the data on a hard drive with other music, they could and then just re-use the USB stick. The downside is that the price for a USB stick is a lot more than for a blank CD, or even a CD done by cdbaby.
            Last edited by Anderton; 09-16-2018, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by My Dog Has Half an Ear View Post
              I'm a CD fan through and through. Much better sound quality (and a lot cheaper) than vinyl. Streaming doesn't do it for me. I like a physical product. I also like the booklet that comes with a CD. It interests me to know where the album was recorded, who produced it, who engineered it, and who the band would like to thank etc.

And I like the fact that the booklet contains printed lyrics.

I buy most of my CDs from Amazon and Ebay, either new or second-hand. I can't see that changing in the forseeable future.

I have an excellent CD player and quality headphones. The clarity is wonderful!
              Wit’ you my braddah...👍
              I have 3 high end receivers and turntables that I keep in top shape for my extensive vinyl collection,
              At last count I have 1707 CDs with a quality CD player, a few sets of high end headphones.

Hell, I even have over a thousand cassettes and a Sony Cassette player that I bought from Musicians Friend 3 years ago, but admittedly I don’t mess too much with them.

I stream occasionally, but like you, I thoroughly enjoy reading the booklets, soaking up all that Trivia to the max,
              I have a rather large house, my walk up attic has been converted ( well still a work in progress) to a dedicated room for my audio equipment and storage for my vinyl, CDs, my RTR that was bought in the PX in Saigon. And the clunky cassettes too,( I make sure I have plenty of pencils on hand for rewinding them ...lol)

A third room holds my musical instruments and small Amps, as the finished basement is for jams and get togethers.

I also have a 1916 RCA stand up Oak Victrola in pristine shape in the basement with about 300 78’s in beautiful bound RCA record books that hold Twenty Records each.

I score this from the Granddaughter of the original owner, the Victrola had been in the same location in their house since 1916..I bought it for 100.00 in 2000,; I sent both motor boards and the turntable, out for restoration with all period parts, 200 bucks it cost me, plays beautifully,
              you can buy the needles for cheap on eBay, so I use a fresh needle for each play.

On the road, I have Sirius radio in my little Bimmer Zed-4 and Jeep Cherokee, ..mostly listen to Little Stevie’s Garage Band.

what I enjoy more than reading the pamphlets in the CD’s is the liner notes on the Vinyl album sleeves and covers, just amazing detail, anectodes, often written by other famous musicians of the time, I love the photograph book inserts.
              pieces of music History that I never tire of.

Lucky to have a large house and a very understanding esposa.
              Last edited by Luke17; 09-16-2018, 11:19 AM.

Comment

I don't own a sound system, that extends beyond my own hands and guitar and ears to develop them with, in my home or car.

Now, take me back 45 (±) years and you would see a Tandberg 9000X R-R, Sansui cassette deck, Pioneer PL 115D turntable and 4 Bose 901s in a 14-Square room and acoustic wall/door treatments. Vinyls from 1970 would be sorted in vertical stacks numbering to about 500. Cassettes numbered to about 75 but I preferred vinyl, which I recorded to the Tandberg for listening without having to flip the vinyls.

Six years later I stopped listening to music, Al Stewart's Year Of The Cat being my last cassette purchased, and focused on turning my ear to my own created entertainment with an acoustic. The system I had I sold off by the piece. No regrets at all, I simply enjoy making music now rather than just listening.
                - The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it. - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Idunno View Post
                  I don't own a sound system, that extends beyond my own hands and guitar and ears to develop them with, in my home or car.

Now, take me back 45 (±) years and you would see a Tandberg 9000X R-R, Sansui cassette deck, Pioneer PL 115D turntable and 4 Bose 901s in a 14-Square room and acoustic wall/door treatments. Vinyls from 1970 would be sorted in vertical stacks numbering to about 500. Cassettes numbered to about 75 but I preferred vinyl, which I recorded to the Tandberg for listening without having to flip the vinyls.

Six years later I stopped listening to music, Al Stewart's Year Of The Cat being my last cassette purchased, and focused on turning my ear to my own created entertainment with an acoustic. The system I had I sold off by the piece. No regrets at all, I simply enjoy making music now rather than just listening.
                  Nothing wrong with that, my friend. ..speaking of Al Stewart, we saw him about 6 years ago opening for the Zombies at the Keswick Theatre in Ambler Pa...he looked a little rough around the edges as well as I did, last tiime I saw him perform was in the 1970s.
                  He sounded divine, just him and his acoustic,

Just a side note to what you said about not listening to any music.

I was playing in a bar band from 1979 to 1990, we were the House band, our band did some covers but mostly original tunes...I had no radio in my 1975 Ford Bronco, ..I was in Grad School ( Evenings) at the time and on the long ride home, with no radio down long country roads, I would put on the turns signals to use as a metronome and write lyrics in my head for a new song for our band.

I wrote the partial lyrics/ chords that I came up with on an acoustic guitar,,when I got home, I recorded to a cassette recorder.
                  then went to sleep.

First time I heard any of the commercial music of t that time was when a friend of mine were sitting in a diner, he put some money in the booth juke box selector and a song came on called ‘ Don’t Rock the Boat’ by ‘The Hues Corporation’ and I remember thinking,

‘Man, this is such Bullshît..’
                  BTW, that was some nice gear you owned back in the day, mi amigo. 👍
                  Last edited by Luke17; 09-16-2018, 12:36 PM.

Comment

https://www.extremetech.com/internet...enying-refunds

Eventually discs will require hard ballistic anti theft protection.

Originally posted by Idunno View Post

They want to own this as well.

Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Apple can't refund the money that someone used to purchase a movie that was taken away? That's insane!!

Even if they're "just a storefront," once goods land in the store, the contract is between the store and the consumer.

When Microsoft stopped their streaming music service, they gave multiple months notice and advised everyone to download the files before they went away. Surely Apple could have done the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton View Post
                        Apple can't refund the money that someone used to purchase a movie that was taken away? That's insane!!
                        Agreed, but also. Google won't refund the money that I paid for an app for my Android phone that's been discontinued, and because it needs to "check in" with a host, even the obsolete version won't run any more. I want my $2.99 back!

--
                        "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
                        Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRivers View Post

Agreed, but also. Google won't refund the money that I paid for an app for my Android phone that's been discontinued, and because it needs to "check in" with a host, even the obsolete version won't run any more. I want my $2.99 back!
                          Yeah...but that's a little different. When you buy a movie or song, it doesn't matter if it's been discontinued, and it doesn't need to "check in" with anything. Software is always a gamble. You never know when an OS change is going to hose you.

Comment

"Apple can delete purchased movies from your library without telling you"

"When you buy a movie on iTunes, it’s yours forever, until such a time as when Apple maybe loses the rights to distribute it, and then it will disappear from your library without a trace. This is what happened to Anders G. da Silva, who goes by @drandersgs on Twitter, and who tweeted about losing three movies bought on the iTunes Store.

"When da Silva wrote to Apple to complain about the missing movies, Apple wrote back to him that “the content provider has removed these movies from the Canadian Store. Hence, these movies are not available in the Canada iTunes Store at this time.” For his trouble in notifying Apple that it had disappeared three of his ostensible belongings for incredibly dubious legal reasons, Apple offered da Silva not even a refund, but two credits for renting a movie on the iTunes Store “priced up to $5.99 USD.” After he argued that he was not in the market for rentals and would just like the movies he purchased, please, Apple tried to appease him with two more rental credits."

Read entire article at https://theoutline.com/post/6167/app...=2&zi=5v6mquln

Follow-up and additional information at https://www.publicknowledge.org/news...ays-drms-fault

"In other words, even if you had carefully kept a backup of your iTunes purchase, and it still played in iTunes, actually watching your movie might at best involve dusting off some outdated and little-used software and at worst might not work at all. (I know from experience that Apple doesn't focus much energy on ensuring that the experience of streaming an iTunes library to an iOS device is bug and hassle-free.)"
                            Last edited by Mandolin Picker; 09-18-2018, 04:04 PM.
                            The Mandolin Picker

"Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Comment

I think it's about as likely as horses making a comeback. And like horses there will probably be some around for quite a while for specific needs and for those who are into the aesthetic.

I think that for any sort of substantial comeback to happen the role that music currently plays in the majority of peoples' lives would have to change. Right now it seems that what's important is to have the soundtrack to your life in your pocket. Riding the subway, mowing the lawn, putting the circular saw to a big pile of lumber...gotta have a sidecar of tunes ya know.

Comment

Working...
                              X