Dave Smith Instruments is no more...

• Members

Relatively being the operative word. ;)

I don't know about you, but the first time I saw one, it was absolute unobtanium. I did get a Rev 2.2 later, but back in the late '70s, the P5 was WAY beyond my budget.

I got a Rev 3.3 in 1982. I don’t remember what it was. $2K maybe? A lot of money back then for sure. But at least it was in a consumer price range. Anything eleee before it that came close to doing to the same thing was 3-4 times as much.

I got a Rev 3.3 in 1982. I don’t remember what it was. $2K maybe? A lot of money back then for sure. But at least it was in a consumer price range. Anything eleee before it that came close to doing to the same thing was 3-4 times as much.

I remember walking into Hanich Music in West Covina sometime around 1981 or so and being just blown away by what they had in the keyboard department - the P5, the Obie "system" (DSX, DMX, OB-Xa, etc.), the first Emulator... and most of the stuff was several thousand dollars. All gearlust-worthy, but at the time, it was all well beyond my budget. I got my P5 (which I only had relatively briefly) in the mid 80's after they were discontinued, and like yours, mine was purchased used. It was the only way I could afford it.

Archived