The story of how Ed King, a California 'hippie' helped write 'Sweet Home Alabama'

• Members

On Wednesday Ed King of the southern rock group Lynyrd Skynyrd died. He was 68 and died from cancer. What's not well known is his connection to the song 'Sweet Home Alabama' and how a California 'hippie' came to be an integral part of the song and one of the best known Southern Rock bands in history.

From AL.com

Ed King was from California. Yet the first words we hear before the infectious riff on "Sweet Home Alabama" - "One, two three!" - belong to the Glendale-born King, who co-wrote the song with Gary Rossington and Ronnie Van Zant.

King died Wednesday at age 68 with a plethora of great songs under his belt. But one stands out among the rest, the one that's in response to Neil Young's "Southern Man" and "Alabama."

So how did a Californian come to co-write the rock-and-roll anthem of the American South?

Read the rest at https://www.al.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2018/08/the_story_of_how_ed_king_helpe.html

• Members

Al Kooper sang backup vocals on the recording ...(Left Channel) known fact.

according to a philly Radio Station today, Al uttered the famous phrase ‘Turn it up’ in the intro.

This could be merely conjecture.

• Members

Ed's playing stood out on their records too. His snake like Strat playing weaving in between Rossington and Collin's Gibson onslaught. When he left the band, it's no mystery why they recruited Gaines. Besides being really talented he was also a Strat devotee.

Kooper was a major force in getting the band broken nationally, and instrumental in producing their first couple of albums.

Al is the "Yankee Slicker" referred to in "Working for MCA". Always got a kick out of that. I was a Kooper fan way before LS came around...Boy did he work with some killer musicians.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Been watchin the LS documentary "IF I LEAVE HERE TOMORROW". it explains why ED left and how the band handled its fame. Poorly. they were rejected by NINE major record companies AFTER recording FREEBIRD. very sad watchin this had to stop several times and regroup. They never should have gotten on that plane...

• Members

Well, they got on the plane, It was a matter of logistics and expediency... Ritchie Valens, The Big Bopper, Buddy Holly, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Rick Nelson etc. all got on the plane.

On a tour, you just can’t take a tour bus cross country.

• Members
Well, they got on the plane, It was a matter of logistics and expediency... Ritchie Valens, The Big Bopper, Buddy Holly, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Rick Nelson etc. all got on the plane.

Waylon Jennings gave his seat up. Eric Clapton gave his seat up. They both lost friends. We all lost icons. LS waited too long to upgrade their bird.

Any machine you put your ass in has the potential to kill you. Especially if my wife is driving.

• Members

Waylon Jennings gave his seat up. Eric Clapton gave his seat up. They both lost friends. We all lost icons. LS waited too long to upgrade their bird.

Any machine you put your ass in has the potential to kill you. Especially if my wife is driving.

Haha AJ, your poor dear wife’s ears are probably ringing...again.🙂

• Members

well; I believe it was a matter of RONNIES EGOMANIA, he wantin to be the boss and being needlessly harsh and less than thoughtful about what "could" go wrong with a sick plane engine. a basically dumb ass move which cost him and others their lives. it also seems that when a voice gets bigger/louder than the governments voice that voice is silenced.

• Members

well; I believe it was a matter of RONNIES EGOMANIA, he wantin to be the boss and being needlessly harsh and less than thoughtful about what "could" go wrong with a sick plane engine. a basically dumb ass move which cost him and others their lives. it also seems that when a voice gets bigger/louder than the governments voice that voice is silenced.

Funny...I don't remember LS being politically active at all. It is also a matter of record that RVZ had been complaining about the airplane for weeks, and arguing they needed a new one.

• Members

Funny...I don't remember LS being politically active at all. It is also a matter of record that RVZ had been complaining about the airplane for weeks, and arguing they needed a new one.

Yeah, that’s kinda the version I heard...after reading Rispencer’s post about the Egomania and sick plane engine, I was sort of scratching my cabeza and thinking I must have missed that angle/theory..

• Members

I get what yer tryin to relate luke and joe, It is also a matter of record that terrorists and NOT controlled demolition, brought down building #7/Twin towers even though the world now, "knows" better. it's a matter of record that OJ was found NOT guilty and now everbody "knows" he did it.

it appears from that bit of footage that Ronnie is bullyin the others into gettin on the plane. YOu know how a goode pilot walks around his plane before he takes off? it's to make himself double check EVERYTHING. it' seems that drugs and alcohol played a role in his thought processes and motivations. Was there a second shooter? hell yeah! that was a president and his brother..would whoever kilt Jack and bobby and Martin oh my, might feel the "need" to silence a too strong, popular, almost worshipped voice? what if they ran for office? in conclusion, I like Skynyrd and it sux what happened to a most Iconic group.

Archived