Bass Players that inspire you?

Luke17

• Members

I have always played guitar, both rhythm and lead in the club/bar bands, jams, recording sessions etc. I have been involved in over the years.

Sometimes when a bass player, percussionist failed to appear, if it was an informal type thing, I was always ready to fill the void...Apprehensively.

surprisingly, most of the feedback I received ranged from ‘you don’t suck’ to ‘ hey, nice solid, steady beat.’

After I bought my second home in Puerto Rico, I started bringing percussion type things to local jams along with my guitar, with the ‘locals ‘ in Rincón after some encouragement.

I decided it was time to invest in a decent Bass, to augment the Rogue knock off Fender and Hofner Violin bass that I have...

I bought a Fender Jazz Bass recently, and it opened a whole new world for me...I’m glad I learned on the cheapies, before making the big investment...

I played and love the Ric 4001, both vintage and new..still might want to get one in the future...

Some of my bass heroes have been Chris White of the Zombies , Jack Bruce, John Entwhistle , , anyone of Bob Marleys’ bass guys, Sting, ..more recently Brad Nowell, from Sublime , Flea from RHCP, , Tal Wilkenfeld, , (God...can you get anymore talented and lovelier then her?)

But for a very long time, Paul Denman of Sade’s Band has been my Muse...

IMHO, His bass playing is unique, melodic, and sets up the whole sound of the band..percussion guy is superb....

And who is more lovely and talented, than the exotic, sultry eyed, velvet voiced, Chanteuse, Sade?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2u2eqerRks

so if any of you peeps have bass players/ percussionists you admire, either famous, or obscure, in Rock, Reggae. Skiffle, Ska, Salsa , Jazz, ..whatever...

if you have the time and the inclination to enlighten me.

please do.

gracias,

Luke.

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/www.harmonycentral.com\/forum\/core\/blob:https:\/\/www.harmonycentral.com\/c8ff7d74-45bc-4fa4-b8be-d910dea203e7"}[/img2]

• Members

You touched base on many of my heroes as well..And Wilkenfeld is amazing. I'd add Chris Squire of Yes, Barry Oakley of the Allman Brothers, Stanley Clarke too many bands to list. Got to include Paul McCartney. T-Bone Wolk (Hall and Oates). Nile Rodgers., Stuart Hamm. Bootsy Collins.

• Members

Hey, AJ..nice choices!

Totally neglected my first Bass fav...Chris Squire, what a unique talent. and...my basic love of bass started with Macca..’ Rain, Paperback Writer, I warm up playing along with those beautiful bass runs ..

Sir Paul said he always added the bass lines after the rest of the tune was recorded.

I actually got to meet T-Bone Wolk and chat twice after Hall and Oates shows in Philly, he was a genuinely sweet and unassuming guy....and how could I fail to mention Niles .what an impressive resume he has.

Thanks, Laddie.*

*still thinking about the the mysterious drain on our mutually owned 55 gal. Drum of K-Y Jelly after you mentioned it in a prior post...

most perplexing, when I checked the dipstick recently...down about 3 Quarts.

My Investigative instincts are leading me to believe that you and Bucky got sumpin’ Going on...lol.

• Members
Hey, AJ..nice choices!

Totally neglected my first Bass fav...Chris Squire, what a unique talent. and...my basic love of bass started with Macca..’ Rain, Paperback Writer, I warm up playing along with those beautiful bass runs ..

Sir Paul said he always added the bass lines after the rest of the tune was recorded.

I actually got to meet T-Bone Wolk and chat twice after Hall and Oates shows in Philly, he was a genuinely sweet and unassuming guy....and how could I fail to mention Niles .what an impressive resume he has.

Thanks, Laddie.*

*still thinking about the the mysterious drain on our mutually owned 55 gal. Drum of K-Y Jelly after you mentioned it in a prior post...

most perplexing, when I checked the dipstick recently...down about 3 Quarts.

My Investigative instincts are leading me to believe that you and Bucky got sumpin’ Going on...lol.

Haven't spoken 'Ol Buck in a while unfortunately....So you'll have to turn your considerable investigative powers elsewhere to find the potion pilferer.

I'll be happy to help you dispose of the remainders if you'll throw a reach around in on the deal....

I forgot some great bass players as well...You look out over the musical landscape that is the soundtrack of your life..Especially a couple of fellas as long in the tooth as we are, it's easy to overlook some seminal influences....James Jamerson..What DIDN'T he play on? John Paul Jones....Bill Wyman...That run on "Paint It Black"....Donald "Duck" Dunn...Mercy.. Ronnie Lane....More will come for both of us as we meander through our memories.....

T-Bone made a interesting observation about Macca's bass playing in The Beatles. And I quote, "He's never in tune!" He said it as a form of admiration though...That Macca made it all work...I listened intently after that and believe there were sometimes I could hear but wouldn't bet a English pound that I actually did.

John Lennon did actually tune a half note flatter on a lot of those records intentionally.

• Members

I can enjoy listening to the busier bass players, the ones that take leads or, like Jack Bruce, just flat take over sometimes. But I can't say they inspire me in my own music. Except for Jaco.

I can say I've been inspired/influenced by these in my own productions:

Paul, of course. All has been said about his bass playing, so 'nuff said.

Chris Hillman. I was a huge Byrds fan from Mr. Tambourine Man on. Hillman really came into his own on tracks like Eight Miles High, Renaissance Fair, So You Want To Be A Rock and Roll Star, 5th Dimension, etc.

I'm not much of a Dead fan, but I do admire Phil Lesh on bass. I love his tone on stuff like David Crosby's song Laughing on his first solo album. On the busy side often, but he doesn't take over as a rule.

I listen to a good bit of jazz, and the fantastic bassists in jazz are legion. Eddie Gomez, Will Lee, Charlie Haden, Mingus, I listen close to. But I don't really do more than scratch the surface.

nat

• Members

I always enjoyed the Byrds from the get go too, Nat... and Chris Hillman’s pick driven bass on his Guild Star Fire.

I was really surprised to find out about 10 years ago, the the only Byrd to play on the recording of Mr. Tambourine Man cut was Jim ( later Roger) McGuinn.

The rest we’re some pretty awesome session players...Wrecking Crew,

Laurence Knechtel did the bass playing.

Thanks for mentioning Jaco, so many great players that could turn the bass into an up front soloing instrument.

• Members

Yeah, kinda hard to beat Jaco on an inspirational level.

Speaking of levels, Mark King from Level 42. Slap pop that works well with their songs, and even when he cuts loose somehow for me manages to fall short of slap pop-itis.

Also Dave Hope from Kansas. An absolutely seamless part of the band, at any given moment. Perfectly within the context. Can be apparent without taking it too far and then drop right back.

I agree with many already listed.

​​​​​​​ And John Paul Jones!

• Members

whoa...! Holy jeezus..Mark King is incredible, wasn’t at all familiar with him.

now checking out his catalog.

I saw first saw Kansas at the Trenton War Memorial back in 1974?..

Dave Hope wasn’t with them at that point, but Kerry Livgren and Robby Steinhardt, Just blew me away.

They were second on the bill, Mahogany Rush opened, then Kansas, main act was Queen...Freddie stole the show.

That concert was the first time I remember being ‘patted down’ by Security for our bottles of cheap wine, Hashish and our homegrown ‘stink bud’.

We were all like, soooo incensed that ‘ the man’ was taking our goods. Haha.

Anyway, as the tour progressed I learned there was bad blood between Queen Freddie and Kansas..rivalries,

Freddy was making undue demands because Kansas was sorta stealing the show.....

Anyway...I got educated tonight about Level 42 bass player...

Dude R0cks!

• Members
whoa...! Holy jeezus..Mark King is incredible, wasn’t at all familiar with him.

now checking out his catalog.

Anyway...I got educated tonight about Level 42 bass player...

Dude R0cks!

And he could probably be singing and singing well not to mention chewing gum while he's doing most that! ^^^

I have a couple of Level 42 albums back in the late 80's, and I knew of Mark King's skills. To listen to them now is sorta a blast from the past that isn't welcome unfortunately. I'd never heard "Mr. Pink" though, and I was quite happy I found it. :thu:

• Members

And he could probably be singing and singing well not to mention chewing gum while he's doing most that! ^^^

I have a couple of Level 42 albums back in the late 80's, and I knew of Mark King's skills. To listen to them now is sorta a blast from the past that isn't welcome unfortunately. I'd never heard "Mr. Pink" though, and I was quite happy I found it. :thu:

Good point Rock Violin, about singing and playing Bass...Listening to Mark Kings style is a new event for me...

I can’t for the life of me, figure out how guys like Mark King, Geddy Lee, (yup, I forgot to mention him, and he influenced my decision to get a Fender Jazz over a Precision,) Sting, Macca,etc. can sing lead vocals and play exceptional and complex bass lines simultaneously..

I saw ‘The Cars’ live 2x and their Bass player Benjamin Orr, had it all, beautiful voice, excellent bass chops, a most handsome Dude, could sing solo and go ‘crazy go nutz’ on the Bass all at once.

alas, he died too young.🙁

ITimothy B.Schmidt and Randy Meisner sang some beautiful self composed songs with sterling vocals, but their bass playing was basic rhythm keeping, ‘ meat and potatoes’ if you will.

Now I thinking about drummers that sing lead and play the drums beyond just keeping the beat and exhibit amazing drumming technique, like a guy I love to hate...Don Henley.

• Members

Leland Sklar...Can't believe he hadn't occurred to me before now. Who didn't he play with/for from the 60's to now even?

A consummate pro, always serves the song with his deft playing and clear tones. Always right in the pocket, not only laying down the foundation for the other instruments and singers to bloom, but moving the songs along, only displaying his prowess in the holes appropriate.

Don Henley? Texas boy...but that don't cut no extra ice with me. I'm about as excited to see the Eagles without Glen Frey as I am to see The Who without Moonie and Ox. Don wrote good tunes with good partners. He was lucky in that respect. Frey and Kootch were great partners. He's ok as a singing drummer I guess.

Of Schmidt and Meisner...I gotta go Meisner all the way, even if he has come to a sad end game.

• Members

Just watched a PBS 2008 show produced by Denny Tesdeco, son of Tommy Tedesco and the famed studio musicians known as ‘The Wrecking Crew’

The bass player was Carol Kaye...remarkable player, came up with that fantastic bass run on the BB’s ‘Good Vibrations’, The opening Bass Line for the theme from ‘Mission Impossible’, The fantastic bass throughout the Monkees song, ‘Pleasant Valley Sunday’

She is also a fantastic guitarist.

• Members

Good point Rock Violin, about singing and playing Bass...Listening to Mark Kings style is a new event for me...

I can’t for the life of me, figure out how guys like Mark King, Geddy Lee, (yup, I forgot to mention him, and he influenced my decision to get a Fender Jazz over a Precision,) Sting, Macca,etc. can sing lead vocals and play exceptional and complex bass lines simultaneously..

I saw ‘The Cars’ live 2x and their Bass player Benjamin Orr, had it all, beautiful voice, excellent bass chops, a most handsome Dude, could sing solo and go ‘crazy go nutz’ on the Bass all at once.

alas, he died too young.🙁

ITimothy B.Schmidt and Randy Meisner sang some beautiful self composed songs with sterling vocals, but their bass playing was basic rhythm keeping, ‘ meat and potatoes’ if you will.

Now I thinking about drummers that sing lead and play the drums beyond just keeping the beat and exhibit amazing drumming technique, like a guy I love to hate...Don Henley.

*RV is cool, Luke. smiley-happy

I think the there's a certain degree of being able to divide one's attention, or allowing it to travel to where it's currently most needed that's inherent in being a good musician, especially the kind of musician that plays music on an instrument with other people playing instruments. You have to be able to divide your attention between what's going on around you and what you are currently doing, perhaps with a thought into the future a ways to anticipate or set up what will be.

Players that can also divide their attention between more than one instrument and then seemingly make it all one are truly amazing to me.

I caught Rush's Moving Pictures show back in college. There was Geddy, singing, playing kybds/bass and Taurus pedals. Once in a while his hands would be free for a moment and he'd stick them up in the air and make like they were a couple of yakking mouths...and the crowd would Roaaaaar! Yep, quite inspiring. :cool3:

• Members

James Jamerson, oh, shît yeah!

Guy had his own distinct sound for sure...

It has been said he never changed his strings, just replaced them singularly as they broke.

I’m guessing from vids I have seen that his strings were flat wound Dibellas.?

The age of his strings supposedly added that ‘muteness’ to his signature sound..well that and the piece of foam he purportedly put under the rear pick up cover on his ‘62 Jazz Bass.

I never see bass players keeping that on..nor Tele guitar players either.

He is another reason I went with the Jazz over the P-bass.

Rainy Sunday afternoon here in Zoo Jersey and I have been playing my Bass on low through a 30 Watt Rogue Bass amp..farkin’ around with the settings.

Might-have to upgrade to a new amp for Christmas..Orange or vintage Fender Bassman head is calling out to me....

Do any of you guys have any other suggestions?

• Members

*RV is cool, Luke. smiley-happy

I think the there's a certain degree of being able to divide one's attention, or allowing it to travel to where it's currently most needed that's inherent in being a good musician, especially the kind of musician that plays music on an instrument with other people playing instruments. You have to be able to divide your attention between what's going on around you and what you are currently doing, perhaps with a thought into the future a ways to anticipate or set up what will be.

Players that can also divide their attention between more than one instrument and then seemingly make it all one are truly amazing to me.

I caught Rush's Moving Pictures show back in college. There was Geddy, singing, playing kybds/bass and Taurus pedals. Once in a while his hands would be free for a moment and he'd stick them up in the air and make like they were a couple of yakking mouths...and the crowd would Roaaaaar! Yep, quite inspiring. :cool3:

Hey Amigo, glad you are OK with R.V. sobriquet. 👍

yeah, so true about Geddy,

smoothest Bass, keyboards, Screeching ‘ choke a Chicken’ Vocals ( but always on key) Live ..over a screaming enthusiastic crowd, and then add the Taurus pedals?

oh my...that is focus and talent.

Seeing them live like you did, puts the band in a Higher Place.

I have always thought that the Canadian Bands like Rush and one of my fave bands ‘Triumph’ give out so much energy as a trio that it sometimes ( for me) defies comprehension.

edit: Saw Rush live in Philly Sept. 1980 at then now defunct Spectrum arena...amazing live band.

• Members

This thread took way too long to get to Geddy. I don’t post often but there are some other names that need mentioning, namely Cliff Burton, John Myung, Doug Pinnick, Steve Harris, Lemmy, and Roger Waters. Pretty much any prog bassist will do though. Just have a listen to The Dance of Eternity by Dream Theater.

• Members

Bringing back some memories..Pogo.^ Thanks. 👍

Casady’s work on Surrealistic Pillow was amazing.

I never did see the Airplane live, but I did get to see Hot Tuna at City Gardens, a rock/ punk venue in my hometown of Trenton NJ back in the early 1980’s.

Jon Stewart who grew up in nearby Lawrenceville NJ, was a bartender there at the time.

Hot Tuna always started their shows precisely at midnight during that time.

They came out Loud and jamming. This was after their initial acoustic gigs.

jack and Norma were pure together...

Epiphone has a signature Jack Casady bass based on Jacks original semi hollow body

I think it came out in 1997.

• Members

Ralph Armstrong - here playing an awesome bass solo with the Jean Luc Ponty band. Gives me goosebumps most every time, as long as I don't pay too much attention to how much the drummer gooses it when Ralph kicks in the fuzz/wah. I understand though. Drumma be like GO! :lol:

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

• Members

Never heard that before! I'm assuming he's playing that on a electric bass, but it has a acoustic type tone that's hard as hell to achieve.

great share! One of those moments when I slap my forehead and think. "Damn! I'd forgot all about him!' (Ponty} I imagine given your instrument of choice, I sound like a Philistine now...Lol...

Archived