The most mispronounced word in the world...

• Moderators
Considering it pertains to music and singing, I think that we, as musicians, should know how to say it properly. :cop:

It's not care-ee-oh-key, it's kah-rah-oh-kay. :idea:

This has been a public service announcement. :wave:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/whats-hot/this-is-the-most-mispronounced-word-in-the-world/ar-AAAmG5X?li=BBnb7Kz

karaoke has nothing to do with actual musicians, Phil...only wannabes...

Thanks, Phil...you are a veritable font of knowledge. 👍

I have often heard people pronounce ‘Timbre’ as Tamber, and if you check it out, it isn’t totally incorrect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGm24l4LzVM

No credit due to me - I just saw the article, thought it was interesting, and posted it. :0

I've been fighting with the whole timbre / tamber pronunciation thing since middle school when I first heard the right way to pronounce it. Timbre is what I most often hear other people say, so I feel kind of pretentious whenever I say tamber instead, but as I understand it, that's the correct way to pronounce it.

• Members

karaoke has nothing to do with actual musicians, Phil...only wannabes...

It's gone from carol ok to mostly carnal ok; feral hokay too. I've been around this stuff for a decade plus and have yet to utter a word at the mic. Really have nothing to say at random drunks.

• Members

What those famous German microphones, Neuman?

Do you asy "Newman" or "Noy men" ?

It really comes down to whether you pronounce a name in it's original language, or if you prefer to say the hillbilly Americanized version.

The world of high-end bicycling is FILLED with hard to pronounce foreign names like Campagnolo, Shimano, ect.

What those famous German microphones, Neuman?

Do you asy "Newman" or "Noy men" ?

It really comes down to whether you pronounce a name in it's original language, or if you prefer to say it the hillbilly Americanized version.

The world of high-end bicycling is FILLED with hard to pronounce foreign names like Campagnolo.

It's definitely Noy-men, not New-man. At least in most of the world - Hillbilly American English notwithstanding. ;)

MOOG -

does it rhyme with "vogue"?

or

is the double-O like the O in "two"?

I know the answer, but I'd like everyone to fight about it first :)

nat

Bob preferred the pronunciation that rhymes with "rogue", not the one that sounds like the sound a cow makes (with a "g" added to the end of it).

• Members

I mispronounce Karaoke simply because that's what everybody else calls it. I do know the difference. If I was in Japan, I'd pronounce as close to the way they do as I can.

I use the American pronunciations of champagne and chauffeur too.

I don't like Tamber, it sounds pretentious to me too.

I do pronounce Moog with the long O because I think it's proper to pronounce people's names the way they like it. It's a do-unto-others thing.

But no matter which way people say it to me, as long as I know what they are talking about, I'm OK with it.

Notes

• Members

And Karate is not "kur-rat- ee" It's "Kah-dah-tae." Like when I was in a junior in high school... "Be careful, Beck knows that thar kur-rat-ee and he's a brown belt. They're more dangerous than black belts because they have not yet learned to pull their punches. He'll hit you as hard as he can and you'll be dead before you hit the ground." (True story) Hot damn! I've always been an artist. creative musical artist and martial artist. It's all about balance... Yin and Yang.

• Members
My wife's name, Leilani is the most difficult to read. I've heard it mangled a million ways.

How would you pronounce it without looking it up?

Notes

I'd listen to you say it.....That's probably her favorite pronunciation of it. :smiley-lol:

• Members
Well' date=' here in south Jersey, we say "wooder," while the rest of the English-speaking world mostly says "wahter." Not that it has anything to do with music... ;-)[/quote']

Everything has to do with Music....

And every region of this country slaughters the King's English in their own unique way. Ahm from Texas. We pronounce Oil, Awl.

• Members

My wife's name, Leilani is the most difficult to read. I've heard it mangled a million ways.

How would you pronounce it without looking it up?

Notes

Just a guess, but my Brother’s co-teacher at the Punahou school on Oahu is Hawai’ian, and her name is Leilani.

In The Hawai’an laguage you must pronounce each vowel separately, so I am guessing ‘Lee-eye -Lani’ or Lay-Eye-lani?

However, everyone calls her Lei [like the floral wreath) Lon ( like yard grass)-ee.

Lay-Lon -ee.

That’s also how they pronounce it in the song ‘Sweet Leilani’ in the various recordings I have heard also.

Archived