McCartney's new album / two new singles...

He's got a new album coming out on September 7 called Egypt Station, and has released two singles in advance of the album release.

For your consideration...

I Don't Know

[video=youtube;aef2eV7GmQw]

Come On To Me

[video=youtube;ZeJLrtFY7Ds]

Thoughts?

• Members

I'm really happy that he's still (very) active and putting out fresh material at...what, 77?

But I'm not terribly impressed by either track. I agree with those who say it sounds sterile and might as well be McCartney 3 in that it sounds like his one-man-band recordings.

• Members

I have a hard time with Old Man Paul voice. He hasn't really settled into it and instead sounds like he's trying to hard to still single like he could when he was 30. And like his later stuff better where's he's not trying so hard to sound contemporary. I liked "Chaos and Creation in the Backyard" from a few years ago. He's doesn't really need to still be aiming for hit singles, does he?

These tracks are all right. But ultimately pretty forgettable, IMO.

• Members
I stopped listening to McCartney after the first time hearing "Silly Love Songs"

I love Silly Love Songs; great bass tone.

Always loved the line 'love doesn't come in a minute, sometimes it doesn't come at all".

I love Silly Love Songs; great bass tone.

And really, it was a good bass line for the era too. Remember, disco was big at the time that song came out, which not only explains the bass line and bass being forward in the mix, but IMO also the Philly style strings on Silly Love Songs too.

IMO, the sleeper song of that album (Wings At The Speed Of Sound) that never got enough credit was Must Do Something About It, which Macca didn't sing, but gave to then-drummer Joe English to sing.

• Members

yeah, he reallly paved the way for hip hop didn't he?

Well, if you’re questioning why he stopped being a groundbreaking trendsetter in pop music after the age of 30— that kind of answers itself, doesn’t it?

but to say he hasn’t tried anything new—I think he’s always been willing to try new things and push himself. Even if the results hasn’t always been successful.

• Members

Well, if you’re questioning why he stopped being a groundbreaking trendsetter in pop music after the age of 30— that kind of answers itself, doesn’t it?

but to say he hasn’t tried anything new—I think he’s always been willing to try new things and push himself. Even if the results hasn’t always been successful.

you're right, i should have been clearer. he used to be a trend setter, is what i was getting at. i guess in your mind that ends at 30. whateva.

• Members

you're right, i should have been clearer. he used to be a trend setter, is what i was getting at. i guess in your mind that ends at 30. whateva.

It kinda does end at 30 in pop music. I’m sure there’s been an exception or two but I can’t think of any offhand.

Archived