When Do We Stop Looking for New Music

• Members

According to a new study that would be around age 30. This according to a survey of 1000 Britons conducted by Deezer. It was noted that this 'musical paralysis' varried both by sex and country. The reason this occurs seems to be a simple one - time, or more specifically, a lack of time. The good news appears to be that even though we stop searching for more new music, we still want to find the time to do just that.

More at RAIN News: http://rainnews.com/most-listeners-reach-musical-paralysis-by-age-30-deezer-finds/

and Digital Music News: https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2018/06/08/deezer-study-musical-paralysis-peak/

• Members

I see this happening a lot younger than 30 - basically once you get out of college, your social context takes a huge turn - and for most folks I've observed, it's the social context they take musical cues from.

Musicians, at least musicians of a certain type, are different than the consumer-only group. 'Tho I do know die-hards who haven't gotten past Steely Dan yet.

Time? How much time does it take to dial up a "new best of" playlist from a streaming service? Maybe people self-report that lack of time is the issue - maybe lack of time hanging out with other kids, driving around, going to clubs, etc. But sheer lack of time....sounds like a less lame answer than the perhaps truer, "I've just kind of lost interest."

nat

• CMS Author
According to a new study that would be around age 30.

Thanks. I feel much better now. Being at least peripherally involved with the industry of music, I've always felt a little guilty about caring that I don't give a hoot about new music. Back before I was 30, there hardly was any new music other than pop radio tunes I didn't give a hoot about anyway.

I'm interested in hearing new artists who sing and play the old music that I enjoy. I can accept a certain amount of "contemporizing," but I still don't give a hoot about most of the new music that manages to find a way to my ears without me trying to find it.

• Members

Hopefully we non-casual musicians are not completely average in this respect. Most contemporary popular music that hits my ears has minimal content of interest to me. But that doesn't mean I don't discover new music. There's plenty of music prior to 1960 that has caught my ears. After age 30, I came to appreciate Ellington/Strayhorn, Perry Como, Frank Sinatra (particularly with the Nelson Riddle arrangements), Louis Armstrong (way back in the early 1930's), T Bone Walker, and many others whose names I don't even know.

I used to listen to Bob's Scratchy Records. It was a weekly on KDHX in St. Louis. Bob had collected records since the late 50's. He played all sorts of Black Rhythm & Blues from the 40's and '50's. Also your standard Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters variety blues. He also played garage punk records that I didn't care for He died an early death and his show died with him. Currently I have become enthusiastic about Chris Thile's "Live From Here" Saturday night radio show on NPR. I keep hearing great music on the show by people I've never heard of before.

There's a lot of music in the air these days I have zero interest in. But it one pokes around a little, there's some fantastic music too.

• CMS Author

David -

It sounds like what you're discovering now is old music, and some newly made music with its roots in the old music you're enjoying. And it's true that the Internet provides the corridor. There are random searches, "guided" searches such as you get from the music streaming services, and you have access to broadcasts or podcasts where the music is curated by knowledgeable, real people who study and collect music and make it available for your listening and learning.

My "playlist" consists of links to streaming broadcasts so I get several 1 to 3 hour chunks weekly, of music - early country music, blues (both old and contemporary), R&B, trad jazz, a little bluegrass, swing, and African. When I'm in the car, I usually listen to the local classical music FM station. I don't go to dance clubs, so I don't care about being the first on my block to hear the tune that'll be hot in the clubs next weekend, or the pseudo-classical atmospheric music when there's plenty of real classical music that doesn't tax my brain.

Shall we start a list of our favorite Internet streams and sources? Here are some of mine:

Bluegrass Country https://bluegrasscountry.org/

Dick Spottswood, Jay Bruder, Ivy Sheppard, Joe Bussard

http://wevl.org - Swing Shift Shuffle, Deep Blues Show

https://www.kbcs.fm/ - Music of Africa

https://www.wwoz.org/ - Just about any time I feel like "turning on the radio" without paying too much attention to what's playing.

• Members
David -

It sounds like what you're discovering now is old music, and some newly made music with its roots in the old music you're enjoying. And it's true that the Internet provides the corridor. There are random searches, "guided" searches such as you get from the music streaming services, and you have access to broadcasts or podcasts where the music is curated by knowledgeable, real people who study and collect music and make it available for your listening and learning.

True enough that my, new (to me) music, is most often old music in terms of age. I sometimes chuckle to myself when some people refer to "modern" music, talking about some current highly processed pop. To my ears the actual musical content is often primitive (setting aside all the sophisticated sonic processing) and simplistic. The more modern music (in actual musical content) would likely be 50-100 years old - Stravinsky, Bartok, Charlie Parker, Thelonious Monk, Ornette Coleman and such.

BTW I used to listen to Joe Bussard's Saturday radio show when I lived in South Carolina. I hope he leaves his massive record collection to a good home when he leaves the planet.

I happened to recall that there is a sample of Bob's Scratchy Records on YouTube. Bob played a lot of mediocre crappy records. And sometimes mixed in was some 1950's R&B diamond with great vocal harmony and an amazing groove. Bob infused his personality into the show - ad libbed bad off color jokes. He was an aging Rock & Roller song writer. He had a band, promoted his gigs on his volunteer (no pay) radio show, sang slightly sharp in his old age. It made for a one-of-a-kind wonderfully entertaining 2 hours. He was a curator for strange and sometimes wonderful music.

The fidelity is horrible. But talking about music is like dancing about architecture.

[video=youtube;wFKvEIzYyf4]

• Members

I'm not going to argue with the general assessment that people stop looking for new stuff generally around 30. It wasn't true for me, not exactly anyway. I was about 40 when Grunge hit the fan and was all in...At least with the music...Didn't run out and buy flannel shirts. I've always been open to new music, but it has to catch me pretty quick. One thing that has never really got me was Progressive country. Just sounds like warmed over early 70's SoCal rock to me.

The Internet...YouTube...SoundCloud...That's where i mine for new stuff now. The only FM radio station down here that plays stuff worth listening to now is the local Pacifica station...KPFT. And the Tiny Desk concerts on NPR.

There's great new stuff out there, a lot of it going over well traveled ground maybe...But you really have to go looking for it.

I'm 65 and my ears are still hungry.

• CMS Author

Just to put another slant on what I've written in this discussion. I never take time to seek out new music, But when I'm listening to music just to hear something while I'm doing something else, occasionally something or someone I've never hear before catches my ear and I might make a note to see what else that artist plays, or who else is playing similar music. But it's usually one of those "Internet rabbit holes" that doesn't prove very fruitful after half an hour or so of poking around.

• Members

I don't normally go out looking to find new music. I still search out the old stuff. I just last night ordered a JSP box set (they have an amazing selection) of Black gospel "Nuggets of the Golden Age of Gospel 1945-1958". So I'm guilty of mostly looking backward. I heard the Wood Brothers on "Live From Here" some time back. I looked 'em up on YouTube and was hooked. Great grooves, great arrangements, great vocal harmonies. They are linked down below. If something crosses my path, I can be won over.

And yes, I'm guilty of musical proselytizing. It's my religion. I'm a Unibeatlian.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PZ8DQQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[video=youtube;nHDxA6YXg10]

[h=1][/h]

• Members

I think for most people, it's either when they get out of college or when they have children of their own. Of course there are some who will always profess to like young music, I find women most likely to do this. I think it keeps them feeling young (while men get red sports cars).

Me? I keep looking, but I quit looking at top40 because most of it bores me. So I go to symphonic music, jazz, and International. But I'm not normal, I'm a musician so I listen differently from the average person.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

Hmmm, interesting. I stopped looking aged about 35, when I got married for a second time to a wife that wasn't interested in music. Big mistake! I'm now looking again. I found a great independent record store in Brighton (UK) a few years ago, that always has something new playing in the shop, and I bought many of the things I heard in there. Having moved away from there, I now subscribe to their mailing list, and each week they send out a list of the week's new releases with a small review (thanks resident-music.com), and I listen to them avidly. Some I hate, but I am picking up a surprising number of new acts that I've not heard of before, and buying new stuff once again. Oh, and I'm 67.....

Archived