British offices of FENDER, KORG, ROLAND, ROLAND raided by investigators

• Members

I am not a UK citizen and not subject to its laws.

The US has different laws, obviously.

In 2017, I purchased 4 made-in-USA Gibsons & 1 made-in-Mexico Fender.

The retail price for the Fender was higher than all of the Gibsons.

It's a fine instrument & all. But honestly, For fit, finish & playability, I prefer

every one of the Gibsons.

One day - I want a new KORG Kronos. I keep pricing them.

I haven't found a bargain price yet.

That's just my experience. YMMV.

• CMS Author

One day - I want a new KORG Kronos. I keep pricing them.

I haven't found a bargain price yet.

Hey, I want to buy a new Weber charcoal grill because the one that I've been using for 20+ years has a part that's [ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"right","data-size":"full","title":"weber-kettle-grills-14401001-64_145.jpg","data-attachmentid":32240440}[/ATTACH]deteriorated so that it no longer performs its function. They no longer make a replacement part, but that doesn't matter because everything has been so rusted together - or maybe forge-welded - so that even if I had a new part I couldn't replace it. And for years, the price for a new grill of the same type (they've removed a part, I guess so they can hold the price) is $149, everywhere, any time. I think that's what I paid for mine, whenever it was that I bought it. No discounts, no sales, never, anywhere. Isn't that price fixing?

There are a few manufacturers - or maybe distributors - of musical equipment that will cut off sales to a dealer if he's caught discounting the products. And, in the US, I suspect that Roland is one of them. Sometimes you can get a discount in the form of a bundle if you can use the other stuff that they throw in cheap with what you really want, a good deal for beginners sometimes, but it doesn't help me much any more.

• Members

Out of my depth here, but my impression is that price-fixing involves collusion between separate companies to fix prices in order to head off competition through price-lowering. If we all agree to keep our prices high, then we all benefit, right?

But for a single company to lay down the law to retail outlets, forcing them to not discount items - I don't think that's price-fixing unless it's part of a grander scheme involving separate suppliers all agreeing to do the same thing. But I could be wrong about that...

Back around 2000 there was a big price-fixing case brought against a whole bunch of music publishers/distributors all participating in some sort of scheme that kept the prices of CDs high and hindered competition. IIRC there was a big settlement with, as usual, no admission of wrong-doing.

nat

Archived