So why do blank CDs cost 5X as much as DVDs?

• Members

So why do blank CDs cost 5X as much as DVDs, EVEN THOUGH 4.4gb DVDS CAN HOLD 7X AS MUCH DATA ?

In Canada we have some tax that is SUPPOSED to go to the artists....sort of a type of DRM...but I notice the same thing in the States.

Besides that, they should stop this nonsense, because most music in stored on USB keys today.

BTW ...STAY AWAY FROM WINDATA CDS AT MICROCENTER. 1/2 of them sound like a jet plane taking off in most CD recorders. I don't know if the hub is off center or what the problem is.

In Canada @ bestbuy[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"150","width":"150","src":"https:\/\/multimedia.bbycastatic.ca\/multimedia\/products\/150x150\/104\/10427\/10427081.jpeg"}[/img2]

Compare

$95.95 [h=4][/h]

Dan

• Members

Maybe this is a Canada thing? The last I heard, they were between 15 and 21 cents each in the US.

I have an old Plextor drive that would burn at 52x. Of course, there's no driver for it after WinXP, so it just shows up as a generic cd r/w drive in Win7. What a shame, that was a great CD burner.

• Members
So why do blank CDs cost 5X as much as DVDs, EVEN THOUGH 4.4gb DVDS CAN HOLD 7X AS MUCH DATA ?

In Canada we have some tax that is SUPPOSED to go to the artists....sort of a type of DRM...but I notice the same thing in the States.

Besides that, they should stop this nonsense, because most music in stored on USB keys today.

BTW ...STAY AWAY FROM WINDATA CDS AT MICROCENTER. 1/2 of them sound like a jet plane taking off in most CD recorders. I don't know if the hub is off center or what the problem is.

In Canada @ bestbuy[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"150","width":"150","src":"https:\/\/multimedia.bbycastatic.ca\/multimedia\/products\/150x150\/104\/10427\/10427081.jpeg"}[/img2]

Compare

$95.95 [h=4][/h]

Dan

I hardly burn CDs any more but I think I paid $27.99 for a 100 pack the last time I purchased them. And I'm pretty sure DVDs are a bit more.

• Members
I know that I have burned a 60 minute CD in a few minutes. That is at least 30 times as fast.

Dan

You mean 30x? My burning stuff claims 48x and that takes 5 minutes plus for a maxed out 75 minute+ with the dry run. I got a 52x with Windows XP but something couldn't keep up and it settled on 40x or so.

Archived