KRK Rockit 6s with 12" KRK sub

• Members

Hi all,

I had a set of KRK Rockit 6s and the matching 12" sub (7years old now) for my home studio where I just listen and play and learn songs etc. I'm a guitar player of 30plus years, active in a local cover band and do a lot of acoustic cover stuff on my own. I mostly used this speaker set up with my Mac computer. I don't do any "real" recording at all... maybe some youtube video making/editing, but no real reference type of recording.

However, this set up sounded GREAT to me! Wow! I LOVED how it sounded to my ears. Very clean music, very clear and crisp with a lot of good low end. I really enjoyed the sound I would get from this set up.

Well, as infamous as KRK is for this. The capacitors in both monitors blew out twice and on the second time, they were both irreparable. Then the sub did the same thing and the whole thing was fried!

I have heard that KRK is known for this. I have had them for about 7 years or so... I GUESS I got my money out of them, but here is where I am.

I have a Behringer Eurolive B1200D-PRO Powered Sub. I have made the KRK 6's into passive speakers.

My question: Is it worth it to buy a small amp to power the now passive KRKs and use the Behringer sub that I have? Will it sound as good as it did?? OR Do I just suck it up and buy a whole new KRK or Yamaha set up?? IF I bought new powered KRK 6's or Yamahas, could I use the Behirnger live sub and if so would it sound good???

OR - just give up and go with Yamaha HS5's and a Yamaha HS8 sub? Would that sound good???

please remember, while I want good quality and clear sound, I don't do any "studio referencing" stuff.

Thank you!!!!!!!!

missing my sound!

• CMS Author
Hi all,

I had a set of KRK Rokit 6s and the matching 12" sub

The capacitors in both monitors blew out twice and on the second time, they were both irreparable. Then the sub did the same thing and the whole thing was fried!

"The capacitors" isn't very specific. There are lots of capacitors in a powered speaker. It's not out of the question that if there's a capacitor at the output of the power amplifier that developed a short, it could put the full DC power supply voltage into the voice coil of the speaker and blow the speaker. It's not a great design - most amplifiers with capacitively coupled output include a fuse in line to protect the speaker from damage in the event of a shorted capacitor. If the output is direct coupled to the speaker (no output capacitor) it's possible that a capacitor within the amplifier circuitry could fail, putting DC across the speaker.

Still, capacitors are replaceable. Loudspeakers are replaceable or, in most cases (this might take some research) can be re-coned, which replaces the blown voice coil.

I have made the KRK 6's into passive speakers.

Well, now that's interesting. As far as I know, all of the Rokit series have separate power amplifiers for the woofer and tweeter rather than a single amplifier and a passive crossover. The Rokit 8s, for which I found the schematic while looking for a schematic of yours, are clearly built that way. Ahead of the power amplifier stages, the woofer channel includes two equalization networks, plus high cut filter, and the tweeter has a very sharp cutoff low cut filters at the output of its amplifier stage to keep lows from blowing up the tweeter. So if you simply disconnected the speaker leads from the circuit board and connected them in parallel, you'd get sound out of both speakers in the cabinet, but it wouldn't sound like the original and you'd be risking damage to the tweeter. It would be possible to cobble up a passive crossover that would at least protect the tweeter with a capacitor, but it's better to get them fixed.

Who told you that the speakers were unrepairable? KRK? Or are you surmising it from people on the 'net who are venting about their problems with similar speakers. I've had a pair of Rockit 5s for more than 10 years and they've been working just fine. If you really want to be able to continue using the speakers that you like, you should investigate repairs further. Any of the capacitors are easily replaceable, probably with better quality components than originally used. The only part that might be difficult to source is the power amplifier module itself. While it's not going to be easy to find a schematic for your speakers, any competent technician should at least be able to diagnose the problem so you can make an informed decision as to whether to keep them or scrap them (or sell them on eBay as "maybe you can fix these or use them for parts).

Archived