If Gibson goes down does Harmony Central?

sventvkg

• Members

Honestly, I`m starting to think online forums are a waste of time. I think the future of forums will be on social media sites or even apps. I look at an app like the Reverb app that is really nicely done. Why can`t forums exist on apps? Even FB groups have more activity than HC forums. I think less and less people are sitting at their desktops and accessing these forums... everything seems to be on the cell phone. I only visit HC and GS when I`m on my desktop because typing via phone on these sites is difficult.

• CMS Author
I think less and less people are sitting at their desktops and accessing these forums... everything seems to be on the cell phone. I only visit HC and GS when I`m on my desktop because typing via phone on these sites is difficult.

If I had to read a forum on my phone and write replies, it would take me three times as lonh as when using a real computer. Forums where people actually had something to say would degrade to quips rapidly if they went to app-only format. At least that's how I see it.

• Members

If I had to read a forum on my phone and write replies, it would take me three times as lonh as when using a real computer. Forums where people actually had something to say would degrade to quips rapidly if they went to app-only format. At least that's how I see it.

I agree with you. However, when I look at forums, I don`t see much except for opinions. Social discourse is a rare thing these days on forums or social media.

• CMS Author

I doubt forums will ever regain the "market share" they had when they were the only game in town, but they do provide functionality you can't get elsewhere. HC isn't the only site where forum traffic has experienced a slow, but steady, increase. As one person said about his theory for the HC increase, "You guys lasted long enough for people to get sick of Facebook."

Just the other day I was looking at some remains of Compuserve to see if I could piece together when the "Unchained Melody" lawsuit was filed, which led to CIS closing the MIDI/Music forum (which was full of MIDI files of music protected by copyright). Before it became a mecca for (usually) crude downloadable misic, there were some pretty heavy technical discussions. But that was 35 years ago.

I was active on the rec.audio and rec.music.makers.synth Usenet newsgroups when rec.audio.pro splintered off to be a technically oriented music newsgroup, and it was, for many years. Now it's mostly about which headphones are best for monitoring.

• Members

You might be looking at the wrong forums. For example, the forum for Sonar is pretty much all tech-related...it's more like peer-to-peer support.

About a year and a half ago, HC forum traffic started increasing after a period of decline.Unfortunately this hasn't led to an obvious increase in involvement, I suspect because so many people access the forums by phone so they just read instead of type. But they do spend time reading. The main theory as to why this happened is because threads have more staying power than the topics that flit by on Twitter or Facebook.

I doubt forums will ever regain the "market share" they had when they were the only game in town, but they do provide functionality you can't get elsewhere. HC isn't the only site where forum traffic has experienced a slow, but steady, increase. As one person said about his theory for the HC increase, "You guys lasted long enough for people to get sick of Facebook."

The first forum I ever joined was the Mackie d8b forum in the late 90s. Back then it was very informative and the only place I could go for help. Then I sold the board and that forum eventually went the way of the d8b... unfortunately. There were some outstanding contributors there like Mike Rivers. Thankfully he is here.

Forums provided a much needed service in the 90s but once the smart phone came along, it seems that things watered down/ dumbed down. Granted, its a heck of a lot easier to contribute to these forums via desktop and laptop which I`m using right now and I also have to deliberately check in from desktop/laptop whereas if I`m on social media, I go there to amuse myself. I guess what I`m saying is that the vehicle that gets me to a forum is a lot slower than the one that gets me to social media.

Unfortunately, its no longer about quality, its about convenience so logging onto HC or GS is a deliberate act whereas signing on to FB or Twitter is more reactionary. I do wonder how HC and GS would benefit if they allowed access to forums via app?

I doubt it would encourage more participation, meaning people are contributing... its just not fun to write via a smartphone and who the heck is going to speak into their phone to contribute to a post? Forums just lend themselves to an older style of communication which seems to be fading.

• Members

Well, I am slowing disconnecting myself from this forum because despite the great intentions and good people on here. I feel the forum has become a dumpster for trolls and total lack of care in regards to security and bots. I reported an issue about security and the problem still persists. No SSL on connections. No Captcha like say RME. In 2018, this is unacceptable.

You try to read anything and you are not sure if it's a real human posting or a Bot.

The most important issue is improvement, this forum has not kept up with Mobile enhancements and it is difficult to use on Mobile device.

All of the problems I have added has nothing to do with the Administrators/Moderators. The idea that Craig or Phil should be responsible for deleting bots at this rate is ridiculous.

Maybe these guys or the person(s) responsible for this process really enjoys whack-a-mole. :lol:

I want to send links to my friends and share post at work, only for HC to scare people off with the bots and possible cyber compromises.

No one is going to cry when I leave, but what I can say with certainty is that I do not believe I am the only person who feels this way.

I do feel this is a great community slowly fading away like a boat left untied at a dock.

If the building looks bad (bots) no one is going to want to visit or hangout.

Archived