How to Bake Better Beats

techristian

• Members

As a multi-instrumentalist who started on drums, I say emulate Hal Blaine, Bernard Purdie, John Bonham, Al Jackson, Jr., Benny Benjamin, Buddy Rich, Billy Cobham, Carmen Appice, Steve Gadd, Elvin Jones, and a few others of my favorites, mix it up, and see what comes out.

It' helps if you learn your drum rudiments first. At least the first dozen or two.

With modern pads, if you have developed a good ear by emulating your favorites, and if you have the talent, you can probably work up some very good beats.

Now if you want to play drums for a living, I suggest a good kit, a good teacher, and forgiving neighbors.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members
By the way in case anyone wondered...Techristian is referring to the "How to Bake Better Beats" tip, which is in the Tips section of craiganderton.com as the latest "Friday's Tip of the Week."

Yep

I have MIDI keyboards (which I really can't play in real time) Acoustic drums and Pintech nylon mesh pads. I only play the pads for TECHNO and POP stuff. 12 bar blues , country , funk and swing would be better done with real drums. I'm not a stranger to automation, by any means.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2sF0hONp6U

Dan

Archived