Small Mixer Question

Jeff Leites

• Members

I'm confused about powered/unpowered mixers. The Behringer Xenyx 502 is described as an unpowered mixer on the Guitar Center web page, yet it has an input for AC power in. So I would think it contains a pre-amp. Is the power in just for the LEDs and phantom voltage? [h=1][/h]

• CMS Author

"Powered" in the context of a mixer means that it has a power amplifier capable of driving passive, or "unpowered" loudspeakers. If you want to use an "unpowered" mixer with loudspeakers, you either need an outboard power amplifier or powered speakers, which have amplifiers built into the box.

The mixer itself needs a power supply for its internal electronics, but it doesn't provide enough power (or the circuitry) to drive loudspeakers. The best it can do is headphones.

• Members

Thanks Mike. After posting, I noticed that the Behringer I mentioned actually did say "preamp" on the case. I didn't know about mixers with build in power amps. Basically, as a hobby, I've just never been involved at a level where it would have been obvious. I just assumed that for stage work, the power amp was always external.

• Members

I have the Behringer Xenyx X1204USB. It is a nice mixer, and the USB option makes it convenient to use. Also have a M-Audio MobilPre thatI use for recording, as I found it was a bit cleaner (slightly lower noise floor) than the Behringer. The issue with the MobilPre is that drivers are not available for Windows 10, so Windows 8.1 is the highest OS version I can use (and after using Windows 10 for about a year came back to 8.1 anyway). However, I could use either for recording without issue. I do wish the Behringer would have been able to do track for track instead of just a simple Left Right out.

Archived