Quincy Jones Interview: A Personality Plastic Surgery Gone Really Bad.

audioicon

• Members

I realized and rightfully so, age can play a big difference when it comes to how people view today's music, and depending on what you grew-up listening to and loved, it is not unusual to find some music un-relatable.

Reading Quincy Jones's recent interview in GQ, I find it hypocritical, that someone who has also produced and written the same kind of songs is suddenly critical of Taylor Swift. But Kendrick Lamar is OK.

Jones was one of the best - during his time and I will always love and respect his work but it's okay to allow other people to be who they are. Being great does not give one a pass to be a total jerk.

Here is a user comment verbatim, just to exemplify my point:

music bigot... if everyone before jones thought the way he does now there would never be a quincy jones. He's not smart, or at least not as smart as he thinks he is. Heck, taylor swift's music makes me ill, i'm sure somewhere in my family there was someone who didn't think the Beatles were any good. EVERYONE deserves their shot, whether they're good bad or indifferent should not matter. Got it, Qunice?

Maybe this is bad aging or some buried unsolved emotional disconnect, but apart from Taylor Swift, there are great artists out there today and just because one cannot relate or does not like the music, it does not take away from the tremendous contribution and effect these artist are having.

Reading the comments about the interview on Rolling Stones, I am not the only disappointed fan.

Somebody should tell Mr. Jones to stop before he completely ruin his legacy.

AI

• Members

He claims to speak 26 languages - writes Mandarin and Arabic ? I think he should sit next to Pat Robertson in the 700 Club. God reportedly told Pat that Trump would be elected president. In case god give Robertson revelations in a language other than English, Quincy could translate. Or maybe he should be in charge of creating peace in the middle-east.

Quincy has a track record miles long. I think his age is catching up with him.

And I think that the guy who produced "It's My Party" by Leslie Gore (which I like BTW) shouldn't be criticizing Taylor Swift's popness.

• Members
He claims to speak 26 languages - writes Mandarin and Arabic ? I think he should sit next to Pat Robertson in the 700 Club. God reportedly told Pat that Trump would be elected president. In case god give Robertson revelations in a language other than English, Quincy could translate. Or maybe he should be in charge of creating peace in the middle-east.

Quincy has a track record miles long. I think his age is catching up with him.

And I think that the guy who produced "It's My Party" by Leslie Gore (which I like BTW) shouldn't be criticizing Taylor Swift's popness.

Apart from the criticism, the interview is just in poor taste.

Talking about girl friends as if he is still in high school.

Looks like some screws are missing.

• Members

It's unfortunate because this man has accomplished a lot.

However, whatever respect I had is gone, especially given his recent interview trashing the Beatles and talking about Michael Jackson.

This guy is just senile and should not be giving interviews.

What a dud!

• Members

How old are you Op? I ask this because you should know the older you get the less of a {censored} you give anymore and you just tell your truth. This is what Quincy Jones is doing and if it offends you then you can’t handle the truth. Quincy truth. I for one think it’s a breath of fresh air.

• Members
How old are you Op? I ask this because you should know the older you get the less of a **************** you give anymore and you just tell your truth. This is what Quincy Jones is doing and if it offends you then you can’t handle the truth. Quincy truth. I for one think it’s a breath of fresh air.

Thanks for the question:

It's a apparent we are not going to agree but I am not one to take an argument personal.

I would disagree with you based on my own personal experiences. I still consider myself a young man but when I was young-er, I would get annoyed at people and had little patience but now that I am a bit older, I have become more sensitive to people and aware of other people's feelings. I have been insulted on this forum for no reason and I just move on as if it never happened, that would not have been the case 10 years ago.

Now, back to the topic, no one on this forum in their right mind and without bias is going to read these interviews and say "he's speaking his mind and this is good." There are certain line you do not cross and certain things you do not say.

I am not questioning his talent or his contributions, however his behavior is completely out of line and I can no longer tell my son to go read about Quincy Jones. This guy is simply ruining his reputation and it will not end good.

Michael Jackson is dead, and I understand they had disagreement and he (Quincy) won some monetary litigation but you do not trash someone when they are no longer here to defend themself, it's disgusting.

Based on interviews I have heard, Quincy hated Billie Jean, he complained about the intro, "It's too long and I can shave through it."

I think Quincy has never gotten over the fact that Michael grew-up musically, and wanted to do other things with other people like Teddy Riley and Dark Child. He never got over this, hence the underline anger.

People like to diminish Michael Jackson contribution but I do not see Bruce Swedien writing a book about Jennifer Lopez in the studio.

Regardless of who did what, they all complimented each other and it was great, why can't Quincy just leave it there?

You say it's a breath of fresh air, I say it's damaging to his legacy.

• Members

One interview should not be used to totally characterize someone, or to use as a reason to shun them forever as a 100% unacceptable person.

Let's face it - lots and lots and lots of top-notch musicians are quite cranky and hyper-opinionated. You should hear my old buddies from the high school rock crowd - jeez, so many of them set their opinions in cement sometime in the 70s and they'll stand by them like they were first principles or something. Ever read Robert Christgau, the acerbic "famed" Village Voice music critic from the 60s-70s? There all in the same cult of sour attitudes about this and that musician and genre and style and whatever.

Personally, I learn almost nothing from negative musical assessments, and almost everything from positive musical assessments. But I still regrettably slip into trashing some music or artist from time to time - it's human and that's my tribe. And the people who don't agree with me are also my tribe.

I love my old cranky friends, and argue with them. And I read Christgau and gain from it. No need to run away from them as if they have the plague or will corrupt the youth or something.

Something is going really wacky in the culture these days where "something somebody SAID!!!" is top-headline material day after day after day. And millions of media addicts repeat and mulitiply the ritual of public shaming and blaming and shunning as if that is the approved road to the moral high ground.

The current era is at LEAST as uptight as the 50s ever were IMHO -

nat

• Members
As we use to say years ago' date=' "Praise in public, criticize in private." In today's word we see little of the former, and much more of the later. I believe primarily because the later brings more clicks and thus more ad revenue. Sad.[/quote']

Yeah, I heard he has a NetFlix special coming up, maybe this is a way to generate traction.

For me, Quincy Jones has always been the most admired person in music and I am just baffled as to why someone with so much accomplishment will behave this way.

The guy has accomplished so much but right now he is on a path to crash into the darkness of another planet.

I just don't get it.

Life goes on.

• Members
"Praise in public' date=' criticize in private."[/quote']

This should be the motto of all musicians (and others of course).

When I hear a band, I tell them what I like about them, and ignore the rest. If someone asks me about that band, it totally depends on who they are as to whether I tell the good or the bad. And if I feel the person needs to learn from the bad, I'll tell the good first.

At least I try to. But I admit, sometimes I fail and resolve to be better the next time.

The Beatles? I love the B sections of their pop songs. They are usually short with inventive ways to get you release from the tonic key and back into the verses. I don't care if they did it or Mr. Martin did, I like the product. And the later stuff like the Abbey Road Medley is sublime.

If someone else played the instruments in the studio, that's OK. The Wrecking Crew, Swampers, and so many others did the same for some of the other biggest stars in the industry.

And remember, a good composer steals, a bad one plagiarizes. Beethoven, Dvorak, Tchaikovsky, Mozart, etc., all were influenced by each other and stole from each other. Dvorak's ninth has a direct quote from Beethoven's ninth, but I believe it was homage. And they all took folk melodies and made symphonies out of them.

We take what we learned from others, mix them together, add some original ideas, and come up with something new. It's how it's done.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

I dunno. I see a lot of slagging on people in the industry going on in this forum every day. People seem to be upset that Jones did it because he dared to touch on the sacred cow that is The Beatles. But he's got as much right to be critical of their musical abilities as anyone here does of whatever latest pop star they want to deride as being 'no talent', IMO.

Classy of him to do so? Maybe not, but he's 85 and has a resume that very few in the business have ever touched. And he's got everyone talking about him just as a couple of TV specials about him are to air. So it seems like he still hasn't lost his touch to produce and create 'hits'. :)

Go for it, QJ. :thu:

• Members

I found the interview refreshing. Jones has been around a long time and has been at the top for most of it so he can say whatever he wants. People get offended when anyone disagrees about The Beatles being the greatest, but I`m glad I`m not the only one who thinks they were overrated.

With that said, I think he`s a bit bias but who isn`t?

• Members

Had I been in Q's position, I would have been more circumspect in my words.

Craig, over the years you have always been well mannered, the voice of calm and the center of rational.

However, I can see why you and or some musicians would not public criticize Quincy's behavior. Which is exactly my point. Because this is not something people should be doing, well not publicly. You would never say anything like this, even if they were true.

For example: You recently asked that we review your music, if I felt any strong negativity about your work, I would send you a PM I do not think it would be beneficial to anyone to make accusations regarding your creative endeavors.

I think Quincy's comments about Michael Jackson reflects an underline anger, the sadness of irrelevance and the loneliness of sitting in a room and asking yourself why am I no longer the center of attention; or I am 85 and I have nothing to lose, screw the world; or maybe something is wrong there, "Maybe the failure to make Tevin Cambel the next Michael Jackson?"

You mention it's an opinion but given the current climate of conspiracy theories, accusing an artist of stealing can have lasting damage.

So given my lack of knowledge of the music industry: I have added some GIF's of the good old days. I am just confused about why Quincy is so excited, knowing the album receiving the awards if filled with stolen material(s) from other people's works.

I could Imagine Quincy saying: "This stuff is stolen and I want nothing to do with it. I do not want to be an accomplice."

Michael's legal team is going to have a field day with his comment and use it as an appeal to throw out the recent legal victory, any lawyer will attempt to do so.

AI

02aa0851787f1cf92d1462e06612ecbe.gif.bce543870af3ea221b070b683c960400.gif

40c60486a20384f6bb96d44bc89f4f7c.gif.d706e5f18d8e4d98b548ac0abc9ee166.gif

77d13011f552bbb10eb59e3a279fab68.gif.8e563993f73703a416e9a905c8d75df7.gif

• Members

I read through the interview more slowly, to see in more detail what's got people upset about what Quincy J said -

His musical attitudes are stock bebop-era jazz attitudes. The worst thing in the world for those guys is to not have the chops to play with the real talent. It was a thing - to be hard and critical and tough on other musicians was to keep standards up. No one hated certain musicans more than certain other musicians in that culture. Zawinul, in an early session with Jaco cussed him out for "playing all that {censored} over my song." Even Metheny picked up those attitudes way post-bop. Ever hear him tie into Kenny G?? The very well-off Mr G. did one of those lame overdubs over an old Louis Armstrong track, a trick that was popular for a while 10-15 years ago - the mild-mannered Mr. Metheny commented:

....when Kenny G decided that it was appropriate for him to defile the music of the man who is probably the greatest jazz musician that has ever lived by spewing his lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, {censored}ed up playing all over one of the great Louis's tracks (even one of his lesser ones), he did something that I would not have imagined possible. He, in one move, through his unbelievably pretentious and calloused musical decision to embark on this most cynical of musical paths, {censored} all over the graves of all the musicians past and present who have risked their lives by going out there on the road for years and years developing their own music inspired by the standards of grace that Louis Armstrong brought to every single note he played over an amazing lifetime as a musician. By disrespecting Louis, his legacy and by default, everyone who has ever tried to do something positive with improvised music and what it can be, Kenny G has created a new low point in modern culture.....

And he's just getting warmed up...

So many of those old school jazz guys - you better come up with the goods or you're going to hear about it in a way you won't like. Sure it's harsh, it's over the top, it's a way of speaking about people I avoid. The school of jazz has traditionally been a kitchen with a lot of heat. And they all paid their dues, no question - more dues than I've been assessed in my more privileged upbringing. It is what it is - we can get all puritan about it, or roll with it and appreciate the accomplishments of the musicians in spite of their crusty manner.

nat

• Members
I think the dynamic between Quincy Jones and Michael Jackson was complex. I wouldn't be surprised if some of what Q feels is anger at MJ for messing up his life. When I talked with Q I believe he was sincere in his comments about MJ being a great performer.

No doubt, I think Michael's worse enemy was Michael himself. At some point, someone has to be responsible for their actions. And I get tired of people blaming others.

I have also heard interviews were Quincy had nothing but praises and so I am baffled as to how he can make that blanket statement, especially when the guy has young children and he's dead.

In my opinion Quincy and Michael are a product of one. Michael is the product and if you look at the back of the product, you see the active ingredients (Quincy).

So given the relationship I cannot understand how one is accusing the other, when you are also responsible for developing the very product.

In Michael's case, it was the allegations, and the eccentricities and the obliviousness but for Mr. Jones, it will be his own words, especially given today's climate. Speak your mind until your mind gets you in trouble.

Life goes on.

• Members
I read through the interview more slowly, to see in more detail what's got people upset about what Quincy J said -

His musical attitudes are stock bebop-era jazz attitudes. The worst thing in the world for those guys is to not have the chops to play with the real talent. It was a thing - to be hard and critical and tough on other musicians was to keep standards up. No one hated certain musicans more than certain other musicians in that culture. Zawinul, in an early session with Jaco cussed him out for "playing all that **************** over my song." Even Metheny picked up those attitudes way post-bop. Ever hear him tie into Kenny G?? The very well-off Mr G. did one of those lame overdubs over an old Louis Armstrong track, a trick that was popular for a while 10-15 years ago - the mild-mannered Mr. Metheny commented:

....when Kenny G decided that it was appropriate for him to defile the music of the man who is probably the greatest jazz musician that has ever lived by spewing his lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, ****************ed up playing all over one of the great Louis's tracks (even one of his lesser ones), he did something that I would not have imagined possible. He, in one move, through his unbelievably pretentious and calloused musical decision to embark on this most cynical of musical paths, **************** all over the graves of all the musicians past and present who have risked their lives by going out there on the road for years and years developing their own music inspired by the standards of grace that Louis Armstrong brought to every single note he played over an amazing lifetime as a musician. By disrespecting Louis, his legacy and by default, everyone who has ever tried to do something positive with improvised music and what it can be, Kenny G has created a new low point in modern culture.....

And he's just getting warmed up...

So many of those old school jazz guys - you better come up with the goods or you're going to hear about it in a way you won't like. Sure it's harsh, it's over the top, it's a way of speaking about people I avoid. The school of jazz has traditionally been a kitchen with a lot of heat. And they all paid their dues, no question - more dues than I've been assessed in my more privileged upbringing. It is what it is - we can get all puritan about it, or roll with it and appreciate the accomplishments of the musicians in spite of their crusty manner.

nat

Yeah, it's nothing new. And it goes a good bit farther back than be-bop. These are more on the pithy side.

Stravinsky on Messian- "All you need to write like him is a large bottle of ink."

Prokofiev on Stravinsky- "Bach on the wrong notes."

Berlioz on Handel- "A great barrel of pork and beer."

Mendelssohn on Berlioz- "Indifferent drivel, mere grunting, shouting and screaming back and forth."

Brahms on Liszt- "The compositions are getting more and more terrible...my fingers often itch to write the anti-Liszt."

Copland on Vaughn Williams - "Listening to the fifth symphony of Ralph Vaughn Williams is like staring at a cow for 45 minutes."

And isn't *wanker just a term for a guitarist other than oneself? :D

• Members

Well, I prefer that people speak their minds, or what's left of them, to the showbizzy nicey nice gobbledy goop that seems to commonly be the alternative...as in "Ohh Taylor Swift! I luuuuv her!!! She is so amaaaaazing! Taylor! Sweetie!! Luv U Gurlll!!!! Muah! Muah!

That s*** makes me wanna puke - as a lot about society and being a part of one always has.

QJ has a right to his opinion and to speak it as much as several billion other people do. No one's work is above a negative review, well founded or otherwise. It's just when they've been all propped up to super stardom that it comes as some sort of terrible shock, especially to those doing the propping it seems. That said, people, if not QJ, do go too far, regularly. And there are plenty of people willing to drag them through the intermud for doing so. Not exactly justice at the point of a rapier, or pistols at dawn, but a price to pay nonetheless.

• Members
I notice my post on Jones was deleted. Apparently it's OK to rip on some artists (as Jones the did in rants completely devoid of sanity' date=' never mind intellgence) but not others. Odd.[/quote']

Well, maybe you should talk to the Bots, they manage to keep posts alive, sometimes taking over entire sections, not sure how they do it. :D

Archived