Does everyone need their own soundproof booth at NAMM ?

techristian

• CMS Author

Many booths have performances, but they're usually pretty short, 10-15 minutes maybe once an hour. Some are too loud and too long. That's the way it is. But the worst rackets are those created by show attendees trying out drums, basses, and effect pedals. With only a few exceptions, sound level was pretty civilized in the new section where there weren't a lot of guitar amplifiers or drums.

For the past few years, Whisper Room has been placing a few isolation booths in the halls where you could book time to try something in relative quiet, or make noise that won't bother others.

With only a few exceptions, sound level was pretty civilized in the new section where there weren't a lot of guitar amplifiers or drums.

I noticed that too.

It's pretty difficult to have a display of cymbals and drums for people to try out and still keep the SPL down low enough to stay within the rules. "Soundproof" booths would be nice to have, but for some of the larger booths they probably wouldn't be practical.

• CMS Author

It's pretty difficult to have a display of cymbals and drums for people to try out and still keep the SPL down low enough to stay within the rules. "Soundproof" booths would be nice to have, but for some of the larger booths they probably wouldn't be practical.

I don't remember where it was in the show, but I walked (briskly) past someone bashing on a drum kit inside a clear plastic booth. It was by no means quiet, but did keep the sound down to a dull roar. I don't know if the exhibitor was demonstrating drums, or the isolation booth.

I don't really believe that anyone can evaluate a cymbal or a drum on a trade show floor. I think they just want to bang on something because it's there. At least with an amplifier or effect unit, you can get a broad sense of what the knobs and switches do, but you don't have to play loud to do that. And who can tell what a microphone sounds like unless you're looking for a mic to record crowd noise?

Maybe what they need is a couple of "loud" tents outdoors,

Archived