Songs that feature a Distressor?

144dB

• Members

Hey all,

The Empirical Labs Distressor is a revered compressor by many, and it's all the more interesting now that UA has a plugin. Slate Digital and Empirical Labs also offer plugin emulations.

What are some songs that feature it's sound? Much like the Beatles are associated with the Fairchild, is there a band or song that comes to mind that features the Distressor prominently?

Getting another compressor plugin isn't going to help me finish projects, but I'm still curious what the distinction is with this unit.

Thanks in advance.

• Members

Not sure if a list of songs was ever compiled or how you would even going about compiling such a list but consider that just about every professional studio in the world owns at least one.

I was in a studio just yesterday that had 6 Distressors!

Its the most versatile compressor in the world. Have you used one? It pretty much does whatever you need it to do and it does it really well from smooth transparent compression on vocals, to adding some "dirt", to completely pulverizing a drum track, it does everything.

So if you`re looking for a reason to buy one, just get it. Honestly though, I own the UAD Distressor and cannot tell the difference.

• Members
Hey all,

The Empirical Labs Distressor is a revered compressor by many, and it's all the more interesting now that UA has a plugin. Slate Digital and Empirical Labs also offer plugin emulations.

What are some songs that feature it's sound? Much like the Beatles are associated with the Fairchild, is there a band or song that comes to mind that features the Distressor prominently?

Getting another compressor plugin isn't going to help me finish projects, but I'm still curious what the distinction is with this unit.

Thanks in advance.

Why distress a track? :)

• CMS Author

Why would any song "feature" a Distressor? It might be the way the sound of a recorded instrument or voice was achieved, but I doubt that it's the Distressor that made the hit (or flop, whatever). Nobody but recording geeks are aware of the Fairchild mastering limiter as being used on Beatles recordings. It's just a tool that a producer or engineer used creatively. You might just as well ask about songs "featuring" the Otari MTR90 recorder, or a Harrison console (Michael Jackson not withstanding), or "featuring" Nuendo (instead of the ubiquitous Pro Tools.

Archived