Which is your favourite reverb plugin?

Mats Nermark

• Members

I use the UAD EMT-140 plate the most. I always EQ the return to cut-out the bottom end (much like the Abbey road plates were setup).

I also have the EMT-250 emulation, the AKG BX-20, and the Lexicon 224 emulation, but the '140 gets the most use by far.

• Members

I'm going to give a vote for the UAD EMT-140 as my most used Reverb for master bus at the very least. I have used the native reverb designer in Logic Pro X with a comp to sidechain a lot. Now that I am transitioning to Cubase Pro I have found its convolution reverb really good so far too.

• Members

I created my own impulses for use in convolution reverbs, and they're my go-to IRs. They don't sound like "real" rooms, more like idealized "CGI" rooms, but that's the effect I like.

Of the various commercial options, they all have different strengths. For example. I really like Softube's TSAR-1 on vocals, but not so much on drums.

• Members

My favorite is the UAD Lexicon 224. The tails are ridiculous.

Big fan of the UAD EMT 140 and EMT 250.

The UAD AKG BX20 is loaded with character and vibe which is nice on guitars, organ, and vocals.

Waves Abbey Road plates and H-Reverb are nice as well.

The Soundtoys Little Plate is also amazing. Very limited in the tweak department but it is really lush... and it was a free gift around Thanksgiving.

• Members

I use SIR, a free vst convolution verb, most of the time. I have an extensive collection of impulses, lots of reverbs but also speaker cabs and other stuff.

I also sometimes use PSP PianoVerb which simulates using a speaker to excite a piano with the sustain pedal held down. In the right place it can be quite musical sounding.

• Members

This question has been asked and discussed exhaustively on the GS forum. So exhaustive that it causes a migraine for anyone looking to buy a reverb plugin. But with that said, here are a list of plugins I have used.

1. Eventide Room 2016 (Best all around reverb)
  2. FabFilter Pro R (Okay, just did't feel it. I am not sure what I am paying for, the distracting graphics or the sound.)
  3. TC VSS3 (Mehh)
  4. Valhalla Plate (Very Good)
  5. Eventide UltraVerb (Too much going on, features stand in the way of making music, compressor and reverb, come on!)
  6. Lexicon PCM Native (Sounded like tin foil to me)
  7. Waves Abby Road Plates (Best plate I have ever heard but too CPU intensive On my rig, unusable)

• Members

Do they have the ability to place a compressor before the reverb?

Yes, it has a Post/Pre/Off toggle switch.

One thing I really find annoying is you cannot link the controls.

I am one of those people who like to buy things that only does a specific task. And I know that can seem strange but for me it's just a turn off, having a compressor in a reverb plugin.

However, given what you have stated, I can see why they may have done so.

I do use the Eventide Stereo Room and in my opinion this is one of the best sounding reverb out there, Especially when used with a tube microphone such as the RODE NTK2 which I used often.

Archived