Carvin PM-15A speaker tweeter information needed.

Notes_Norton

• Members

This might not be the right place to post this, if not, please let me know where to go. I tried to register on the Carvin forum, but I don't get the automated key e-mail that allows me to verify. Perhaps because Carvin audio is going out of business(???).

Anyway I've used Carvin Passive LM-15 speakers for years and absolutely love them. And when my PA amp gave me trouble a year or so ago, I decided to go with active speakers, figuring I could limp through the gig with one if the other went. Fortunately the PA Amp didn't stop the show, it just exhibited some distortion. I carry spares of a lot of gear, but the spare PA Amp was at home - only so much fits in the van.

So I bought two Carvin PM15A Speakers, and when they arrived, one tweeter was not working. Carvin shipped a new one out immediately and I returned the defective one. Fast forward and I blow a tweeter. So I turned up the good speaker, turned down the bad one, and the gig goes great.

I take the speaker to the music store, and the tech tells me the tweeter is blown, and he needs to order a new one - 5 days or so.

Not a big problem, I've got the old passives and the QSC power amp out and still gigging.

I don't think I should have blown that tweeter, since I've got a 20db pad between the sonic maximizer and the amps, and the volume on the amp has never been turned up higher than about one third. So I figure this is going to be a potential problem and I need to stockpile a tweeter so I can replace it the next day if it happens again. This should have been easy if the Carvin forum was responding to my request, but alas, an hour has gone by with no verification e-mail.

So does anyone know what the make/model of the tweeter I need is? I'm sure if I knew, Parts Express or someone else might have it.

I'm going to ask for the defective part from the tech (who subcontracts out to many music stores) but I don't know if it will tell me anything, and understandably the tech probably wants to protect his business and not tell me what to get.

Please help if you can, and thanks in advance.

Notes

• Members

Thanks.

I finally got an e-mail for Carvin, they didn't give me the vendor number, but I bought 4 drivers.

I guess they are running on a skeleton crew and that's why it took so long to get a response.

Now I need to find out how to get the vendor number. Perhaps when the drivers arrive, there will be a clue.

Notes

Archived