"Friday's Tip of the Week" Now Posted

Anderton

• Members

A little background: For years, I've been posting a "Friday's tip of the week" at Cakewalk's Sonar forum, and it's been very popular. I'm broadening its scope to cover a wider variety of topics, and posting a new tip every Friday at craiganderton.com (click on the "Tips" tab). Because my site doesn't have a forum yet, you're welcome to discuss anything right here.

This week's tip is a trick to add drama that involves tempo changes - but not the speeding up/slowing down you might expect. Check it out! You can also hear my latest song, which showcases this technique.

• Members

Hi Craig and HC forum members,

I take it this is the only Friday Tip thread? I looked back a few pages and didn't see any others.

Anyway, I'm here to ask for recommendations on building virtual electronic drum kits. A recent Friday tip -- which is still at the top of Craig's tips page -- is about "More Expressive Electronic Drums."

My current favorite drum program is Groove Agent SE, which comes with Cubase, but I don't like being locked into Cubase.

I suppose my 2nd favorite is Arturia's Spark 2, and I'll probably go with that unless I learn of something better.

What program(s) do you use to build your electronic kits?

• Members

Welcome, Telecharge! I've always appreciated your expertise in the SONAR forums, and I'm sure your expertise will be appreciated here.

Yes, this is the only tips thread, at least so far. We'll see what happens as more people become aware of "the new digs."

This may sound ridiculously low-tech, but as I've mentioned before, I use the Discrete Drums acoustic drum loops for non-EDM music (although sometimes the DD library sneaks in there as well, with a little processing). Fortunately, the DD libraries include individual hits of the drums included in the loops. This makes it easy to modify the existing loops (e.g., add a snare ghost note on a different track, or add cymbals in off-beat places), but I also use these hits to populate - gasp - SONAR's Session Drummer 3 or Rapture Pro (although I'll probably start moving over to Battery because my next project is more EDM-ish).

The first time I used these "kits" was on

and
from my
project, and I played the drum parts from a keyboard. I make no apologies for the drum parts, I think they sound good :)

One trick is I don't do multisamples with drums or bass. Instead, I use Rapture Pro's filter and amp options to increase brightness and level with harder hits. I guess on one level it's less "realistic," but to my ears it has a better feel because there's more of a continuum instead of sample splits.

Hope this helps...let's see what others say!

• Members

One trick is I don't do multisamples with drums or bass. Instead, I use Rapture Pro's filter and amp options to increase brightness and level with harder hits. I guess on one level it's less "realistic," but to my ears it has a better feel because there's more of a continuum instead of sample splits.

Hope this helps...let's see what others say!

Ooh, I like this. I don't have Rapture Pro, but I do have other instruments where I'm sure I can map velocity to various parameters.

I use Session Drummer, as well, but the parameters are pretty limited in the GUI. I'm guessing you need to go into the SFZ files to get what you want. That is something I've considered, but I'm not sure it's worth the time to do it that way.

I also have Battery, but I've avoided it because I'm afraid I'll get lost in there "experimenting." smiley-wink That's the same reason I've avoided the modular synth in Spark 2.

Thanks for the welcome and the info, Craig. I'll check out those songs, giving special attention to the drums.

• Members

I use Session Drummer, as well, but the parameters are pretty limited in the GUI. I'm guessing you need to go into the SFZ files to get what you want. That is something I've considered, but I'm not sure it's worth the time to do it that way.

SFZ files seem daunting, but they're really not that bad and you can "bake" a lot of expressiveness into them. For example one cool trick - for some of the Rapture Pro 12-string presets, there's just one SFZ file. It combines the two strings needed to make an octave, adds a slight delay to one of the strings, etc.

• Members

I'm not concerned about complexity. For me, it's more about efficiency and using the best tools (that I can afford).

I really like Ableton's drum racks, too, and I've got a bunch of 'em. But again, vendor lock-in. It just feels like my efforts with electronic drum kits have been too scattered, and I would like to focus on one or two programs, or some kind of efficient process for putting it all together.

• Members

I really don't think you can go wrong with Battery. It's been around forever (I wrote the manual for it years ago), there's a ton of content available, and it's not difficult to create your own kits. But it also depends on what type of music you want to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived