OK so Microsoft cares

1001gear

• CMS Author

Looks like a way to make an already flimsy jack eveb more vulnerable to physical damage (not covered under the warranty, of course). I think the best solution for most users - and you know that they make mobile devices for most users and not us - is bluetooth wireless earphones (wish I had some myself) and leaving their $500 Beats earphones at home for armchair listening. But for those of us who occasionally need a genuine analog output, I don't think we're going to get anything better than today's mini jack. How thin does a phone have to be, anyway?

I have a function generator app on my phone that I've found useful many times for troubleshooting in the field. I carry a mini stereo to 2xRCA plug cable and a couple of RCA-XLR and RCA-TS adapters to complete the package. And my car radio doesn't have Bluetooth so on long drives, I plug a cassette adapter into my phone's mini jack and stick that in the car's cassette player. Not high fidelity but it beats listening to most of the radio stations that I find along my drives. Sometimes I find an OK FM station, but it's out of range in half an hour or less.

• CMS Author
Why not have something like an analog version of the Lightning jack? It has enough leads to connect to an adapter. Yeah' date=' having to carry around a little adapter is kind of clumsy, but there's no reason why everything has to be "all-digital, all the time." [/quote']

Isn't that what people with a no-headphone-jack iPhone have to do now in order to use their analog earphones? I wonder how many are using an adapter like that, or how many are just caving in and buying new headphones with the Lightning connector. When Apple first came out with those models, I thought they were using spare pins and sending analog audio through to headphones with an adapter, but apparently not - the D/A conversion is in the headphones or adapter.

Of course this also provides them with the opportunity to sell a new dock with a real headphone jack on it.

To 1001 - What's wrong with a bump on the phone? It's not sleek. What's wrong with a phone that's 1/8" thicker than it could be? It's not sleek. Gotta be ahead of the competition, or at least have something that people talk about in a positive way.

• Members

I for one don't like the "Lightning" jack. If it wasn't patented and designed to keep Apple people from buying a competing product, it would be better, but I see no advantage over the tiny USB.

For audio, I still want my cable to be completely shielded. I have an aversion to interference. The devices don't really need to be thinner for me. And wireless ear buds are not my style, YMMV.

Notes

I for one don't like the "Lightning" jack. If it wasn't patented and designed to keep Apple people from buying a competing product' date=' it would be better, but I see no advantage over the tiny USB.[/quote']

I use Micro USB on a few different things, and Lightning on my iPhone - I prefer the Lightning connector. It seems to be more secure / less likely to come unplugged accidentally, and you don't have to worry about the plug / jack orientation like you do with Micro USB.

I still think the idea of doing away with the headphone connector on the latest iPhones is madness. YMMV.

• Members

Orientation isn't a problem for me. Being non-universal is. So I need one cable to charge my iPad, and another to charge my phone. And if that isn't madness enough, a third one to charge my Walkman.

Having one Universal jack/plug is for me a much better idea.

But I admit I'm not average or normal.

Archived