Windows 10 Creator Edition

MikeRivers

• CMS Author

Full Disclosure: I'm slowly moving my Windows XP computers to Windows 7 and I don't know (or yet care) doodlysquat about Windows 10 . . . .

But a letter in the current edition of Recording Magazine praised this new edition of Windows 10 for recognizing both UAC1 and UAC2 USB audio device classes. He compares it to Apple's ability to recognize and use audio interfaces without using a third-party driver. The writer didn't talk about ASIO or control panels that are typically installed as part of "the driver" for modern USB interfaces when used with Windows.

I understand that this can be a bonus for Windows 10 music lovers so they can plug-and-play high resolution D/A converters, but what about recording and low-enough-to-work-with latency? Anybody using this version of Win10 yet and tried no-(3rd party) driver performance?

I'd post the text of the letter but I'm in the process of housebreaking a new phone that has a text-recognition option with the camera which does a pretty good job but I can't figure out how to save the text as a text file (or where it's saved if it's automatically saved). But I'm pleased to report that the phone recognizes an IK Multimedia USB digital mic.

I just finished reviewing those Mackie interfaces and I used my Mac to test them - no drivers, just plug and play because they are core compliant. Latency is nice and low - both when playing back or recording. IMO it would be great if they did something similar for Windows, and it sounds like this might be it.

I have Windows 10 on only one machine - an inexpensive low-power laptop that I use for astronomy and astrophotography. It's really not powerful enough for DAW use. My main DAW is still running Windows 7.

Do you have to buy Windows 10 Creator Edition separately? What's the price? Do you know if they've done anything else that will appeal to musicians, or made any other significant changes with it?

• CMS Author

I have Windows 10 on only one machine - an inexpensive low-power laptop that I use for astronomy and astrophotography. It's really not powerful enough for DAW use. My main DAW is still running Windows 7.

Do you have to buy Windows 10 Creator Edition separately? What's the price? Do you know if they've done anything else that will appeal to musicians, or made any other significant changes with it?

All I know is what I posted. With a Google search, it appears that this is a free update, but that it's being dished out sparely, the words are something like "you'll be notified when it's available for your system." Here's about the most detailed article I found about it on line, which, as I suspected, is all about audiophile DACs and doesn't address recording.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/this-just-in-microsoft-launches-native-class-2-usb-audio-support-wait-what-r647/

Just as an FYI that I'm sure everyone knows' date=' the next big Win 10 version for Fall releases in 7 days. I dunno what's happening driver-wise in that one... but it is around the corner. [/quote']

Thanks for the reminder - Might be time to turn off the automatic updates until I see how reliable it is and whether or not the updates are going to muck up my system - again.

• Members

Admittedly, this is OT and not related to Mikes question...

The only thing I've heard about Win10 Creator is that it was sold on USB sticks at Best Buy and those sticks had a virus that would brick your PC by erasing the BIOS flash on the motherboard. I was never tempted to verify this for myself, though...

Archived