The Chief Information Security Officer at Equifax Is a Musician!

Mandolin Picker

• Members

The Chief Information Security Officer at Equifax does not have a degree in computer science, or business finanace, or any other degree that might be related to her position. No the CISO at Equifax has a Master of Fine Arts Degree in music composition.

http://ihypocrite.net/2017/09/09/equifax-chief-information-security-officer-studied-music/

They put at musician in charge of computer security.....

• Members

The thing about credit is, if you screw up you've got a problem. And the bigger problem, to me, is that if they screw up you've got a problem.

I heard Scott Simon on NPR this (Saturday) morning interviewing someone knowledgeable about this. She said that when Yahoo was breached, the head big shot resigned. With $200 million in stock, the infamous golden parachute. I'd like to know how much the Equifax big shot takes in severance. They need to pay penalties with some sting to them, not walk away unbelievably wealthy.

Clark Howard (a.k.a. the Consumer Warrior) has recommended freezing your credit for years. I finally did a couple of years ago.

• Members
The Chief Information Security Officer at Equifax does not have a degree in computer science' date=' or business finanace, or any other degree that might be related to her position.[/url']

I respectfully do not see how this would have changed anything.

I also think some of the most dumbest people I have ever met have degrees in computer science. They do not know the first thing about actual application programming, I do not want to know what a Logical Or is; or the meaning of Algorithms or Heap vs. Stack, please tell me what I can do with it and how it will apply to a business requirement.

This is like saying, someone has a PHD is sports medicine so they can play football really well.

Most organization gets hack, it is that simple. What is disturbing is we will never know unless that information is disclosed to the public.

I also say this when I talk to businesses or when I sit in an interview.

"You need to hire ideas not experts."

Information security is so fluid and acrobatic, what you learn is school does not mean squat to the next hacker. You need people thinking beyond the ordinary, and that is not always indicative of people with degrees.

Sorry if I sound brash, I am not trying to yell at you, I am referring more to the article.

• Members

According to an article I read, the hack occurred as the result of a known vulnerability in a web-based application, "Apache Struts". There was a software patch issued in March this year to plug the vulnerability but it wasn't applied to Equifax's systems! Apparently due to simple laziness and/or ignorance, which is inexcusable.

• Members
According to an article I read' date=' the hack occurred as the result of a known vulnerability in a web-based application, "Apache Struts". There was a software patch issued in March this year to plug the vulnerability but it wasn't applied to Equifax's systems! Apparently due to simple laziness and/or ignorance, which is inexcusable.[/quote']

And that's how most intrusion happens, you will be amazed how lethargic people are when it comes to information Security.

One of the companies I worked for had a problem with their Web Content Filtering.

Employees started getting Popups asking to for credentials to view web pages.

Most of the employees went along and entered their credentials. Now, even though this was legitimate, the IT department never told anyone what was happening, people simply assumed this was normal procedure.

Imagine if this was an intrusion, just imagine.

You had DB Admins entering user name and password into the popup.

They all have degrees.

Archived