movin on up !

techristian

• Members

To 40mbps sometime today. Would have been up to it yesterday but someone at the cable office needs glasses. The MAC ADDRESS of my modem was incorrectly entered into their system ...an "8" instead of a "B"

Cable is supposedly good up to 200mbps

This is a big jump for me because we are at 5mbps right now.

Dan

• Members

It is a cable service so ON A GOOD DAY I can expect 40 down and 10 up. I also needed the bandwidth for uploading my videos. With DSL I only had 600-700kbps and a 1/2 youtube video took 22 hours to upload....and took over the internet here.....couldn't download anything while the upload was taking place. Now I will be able to do the same upload in 2 hours...during the wee hours of the morning.

BTW I'm on the new system now. Wife likes how fast her games work. I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR GAMES !!

We also got away from BELL. Now we will have VOIP for calling and I keep my old number. So not only are we faster, but this new setup will save me $25 a month.

Dan

• Members
I'm at 75 or 80 ATM - gotta love FiOS, although it was much better when Verizon was handling it - Frontier isn't nearly as good. It's been much less reliable since they took over.

You should LOVE the increased speed Dan - especially if you ever stream music or movies. :)

I am at 120, if you see funny wrinkles on my face that's why. :lol:

Well my days of Internet use are numbered I'm sure. TDS telecom gives us a whopping 1.5mbps on good days. You guys are in another universe.

If you're reading forums, sending email, checking the news and just doing general surfing, that can be okay, but if I was trying to move big files or a lot of them (which I often do), I'd be hating life running at that speed. I get to experience what that's like on a annual basis because the hotels at NAMM have slow service that frequently runs about that "fast" (I regularly test speeds throughout the show) - it can be really frustrating when you're trying to upload hundreds of photos or a couple dozen four or five minute videos and the service is c r a w l i n g....

I feel for you. :(

Are there any faster providers in your area?

• CMS Author

I get to experience what that's like on a annual basis because the hotels at NAMM have slow service that frequently runs about that "fast" (I regularly test speeds throughout the show) - it can be really frustrating when you're trying to upload hundreds of photos or a couple dozen four or five minute videos and the service is c r a w l i n g....

I understand it's below your pay grade, but we could wait until you get home to see your photos and videos. But that's not how we live nowadays - gotta be first to feed the news-hungry gear sluts. I usually post my report about a week after the show. I get frustrated just checking e-mail while I'm at NAMM.

It's been a long time since I've carried anything around the show that has an Ehternet jack, but in the press room, there are direct (not WiFi) connections. Have you tried that? This year, I'm staying at an Air BnB because even the cheap places I've been staying have doubled their rates. With what's probalby a household sharing a cable connection, Internet will probalby be pretty fast.

• Members

Where is that? THE OZARKS ?

The irony is we have friends 5 miles away who are getting 10mbps from the same telecom. We're at the end of a phone line trunk and were told it will never get better only worse (which is true). Can still do downloads at night though.

Luckily for us loosing the Internet is not the end of the world....

Archived