Hey Phil: Did you see the Eclipse?

audioicon

No, I didn't bother going out and getting any solar filters for my telescopes. Frankly, I'd rather have a dedicated solar telescope like the Coronado PST so I could see the sun in H-Alpha (much more detailed than what you'd see by adding a mylar filter to the scopes I have), but they're pretty expensive and I can't justify getting one right now. If it would have been a total eclipse here I might have considered it, but we only hit about 60%, and I wasn't able to travel up north to the path of totality... :(

I did stop what I was doing and watched it for about five minutes on TV. Because of where I live, that was the best possible view I could get of it without traveling out of town.

• Members
No, I didn't bother going out and getting any solar filters for my telescopes. Frankly, I'd rather have a dedicated solar telescope like the Coronado PST so I could see the sun in H-Alpha (much more detailed than what you'd see by adding a mylar filter to the scopes I have), but they're pretty expensive and I can't justify getting one right now. If it would have been a total eclipse here I might have considered it, but we only hit about 60%, and I wasn't able to travel up north to the path of totality... :(

I did stop what I was doing and watched it for about five minutes on TV. Because of where I live, that was the best possible view I could get of it without traveling out of town.

Interesting how you described this. Do you teach astronomy? Honestly. It amazes me when people have different dimensions of interests.

I am not certain I have met or spoken to anyone with such diverse or polarizing and opposite interests such as Music and Astronomy, pretty cool.

I know Ken does Photography as well.

I have to ask, have you listen to the Song Go, by Public Service Broadcasting. It gives me serious chills and goosebumps:

Interesting how you described this. Do you teach astronomy?

:lol: No, and beyond a basic level HS or Jr College course, I wouldn't consider myself qualified to do so, but I've been around astronomers for much of my life. One of my grandfathers worked For Caltech and the Carnegie Institution and used to take me with him occasionally up to Mt Wilson and down to Mt Palomar. I've had the distinct honor of chatting about astronomy over breakfast with such luminaries as Dr. Maarten Schmidt and Dr. Carl Sagan... as a young (10-13 year old) kid. One of my best friends / studio clients is a MIT / Caltech trained astrophysicist. It's bound to have an impact. I even wanted to be an astronomer at one point when I was really young, but frankly it's too much math. ;)

Honestly. It amazes me when people have different dimensions of interests.

I think many or even most people have a broad range of things that they're at least somewhat interested in. I'm less interested in sports and more interested in science, technology, history and the arts than a lot of people I know. It takes all kinds I guess. :)

I know Ken does Photography as well.

I did study photography a bit it school, and hands-down, Ken is the best photographer I know - and by a considerable margin. It's not even close. He's not only technically knowledgeable, he's got a real gift for composition - he's just got a great eye. I adore his work - and him too. Great guy! :philthumb:

I have to ask, have you listen to the Song Go, by Public Service Broadcasting. It gives me serious chills and goosebumps:

Here, let's embed that for everyone:

[video=youtube;BHIo6qwJarI]

I hadn't heard that before now... I don't know what Gene Kranz would have thought of it, but I think it's seriously cool! :philthumb:

I enjoyed that quite a bit - thanks for turning us on to it. :cool2:

• Members

I saw pictures from a friend of a friend in Nashville (on facebook). She said a traveling astronomer from England was visiting. She had a bunch of pictures of their experiments and such. It was, of course, Brian May, who is also an Astronomer-musician.

• Members

I enjoyed that quite a bit - thanks for turning us on to it. :cool2:

No problem, I am always looking for new music and the idea of that song in my opinion is an American Historical Symbol.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge as well.

Archived