Dear Musician - A Butterfly Effect

• Members

Simply stated, chaos theory means that (in theory) a butterfly flapping its wings in Mexico can cause a typhoon in China due to subsequent changes in the wind currents it creates. While a typhoon in China may be an extreme representation of the theory, we’ve already seen plenty of examples throughout history in which seemingly insignificant events triggered profound changes. Is there a way “the butterfly effect” can create change in the music world? Hmmm…

FULL ARTICLE HERE

fetch?filedataid=126362

• Moderators

Sadly, Dendy completely missed the concept of the butterfly effect. The point of the butterfly effect is that its inception is so insignificant that the outcome can't be logically traced back.

The series of events he cited in the article are not due to chaos theory.

• Members

To the contrary - The point I was making is that we never know the effect we are going to have on other people in exposing them to music or the making of music and how that may have a huge impact down the road on their life. Even to people we don't know and may never see again.

To some, it's just another gig. To the listener, it may be the reason they picked up a guitar and became the next guitar hero.

D

• Members

There is a large body of new mathematics relating to chaos theory and fractal geometry - it is in it's infancy right now. Perhaps in 100 years (assuming this species survives) there will be a calculus of chaos which could be used to describe and predict these sorts of causal chains.

I suspect these chains extend all the way down to the quantum level, but the longer the chain the greater the exponent on the number of child-effects a single cause can propagate to. I find it interesting, but I don't think I want to develop the science myself; every scientific discovery sooner or later is turned to nefarious purposes. It is enough for me that it exists.

Excellent article, by the way, Dendy.

P.S.

So sorry everyone... I wrote this post while at work and in the 'brain zone'. Just... nevermind.

Archived