Are you a Christopher Nolan type of musician?

• Members

Nolan believes: digital photography is “devaluing what we do as filmmakers.” Are there processes in the music business you feel has devalued or is devaluing the process or state of music production?

In my humble opinion, the proliferation of computer music have given us all an opportunity to do what we love but it has also deeply damaged the quality and respect for music production and recording.

Reading Nolan's interview here: http://www.indiewire.com/2017/07/christopher-nolan-interview-dunkirk-netflix-1201857101/

I am wondering how many of my friends here on HC feel the same. This is not an argument regarding Digital vs. Analog but the process of doing something.

• CMS Author

If you're looking for a technology that has devalued what we do as recording engineers, producers, or music artists, look no further than free or extremely low cost music distribution.

The computer has opened up new frontiers in music composition and performance. There are musical genres today that couldn't exist without a computer. That's not the problem - or if it's part of the problem, it's that we have too much music, which leads to its reduced value.

It's the economy, stupid!

• Members
I like to use different kinds of technology to make innovative, unique music, sometimes using it to make microphone recordings of improvisations without doing much to it at all, while other times using it to make bizarre, strange alterations that could not possibly have occurred.

If that's a Christopher Nolan sort of approach, great. If not, that's fine as well. I don't know. I just create.

I don't think it just a matter of approach, reading the article makes me respect him more and appreciate what he does.

I think it shows how he respects the process, which is what I am referring to.

You said it correctly, everybody has a preference but I feel the process illustrates a mindset.

Maybe you have seen the movie The Revenant or the Pianist. I respect these movies greatly because of the process and the impact they have on cinematography, I believe you are more expert in this area than me. smiley-happy

This has nothing to do with music but simply referencing the process and how it adds value to the domain.

By the way, bizarre and improvisation tells me you are passionate about what you do.

• Members

I put out three albums this year. I couldn't do that without digital technology.

Maybe the world is worse off because DYI guys like me are putting out weird music, but that would require the world to actually listen.

But a guy like me would've found a way. I was 13 when I first used my computer mic and Windows Sound Recorder on a Compaq laptop. Had that primitive technology not existed, I would've saved for a four track, used the home stereo to copy tapes, and given out copies.

• Members
I would've saved for a four track' date=' used the home stereo to copy tapes, and given out copies.[/quote']

I have to tell you, I would have loved to hear your creations on a four track tape. I am sure you are as good but the limitations would have pushed you to do extreme things which are overlooked now because of DAW's.

Sometimes I wondered if the Beatles would have had an impact if they were using Pro-tools.

• Members

I have to tell you, I would have loved to hear your creations on a four track tape. I am sure you are as good but the limitations would have pushed you to do extreme things which are overlooked now because of DAW's.

Sometimes I wondered if the Beatles would have had an impact if they were using Pro-tools.

Thank you.

Most of my recent work has been pretty minimal when it comes to tracking and overdubs. I usually only have two. My last album, LaGrange, was half-acoustic, so there are a couple of songs with just one acoustic track. People who used to accuse me of using too many effects wouldn't be able to say that anymore. Before that, my Experimental Rock album, We Can't Afford Anymore Mistakes, was usually one rhythm track with a lead track. More than one song features only one track.

But the biggest threshold would be giving my music away for free. I can't even afford guitar strings now, so I wouldn't be able to make a bunch of tapes.

• Members

Interesting concept. I see both the strengths and limitations.

I think there is a creation process with music (songwriting) before the implementation process (recording, mixing, etc.). Digital technology has put my songwriting abilities and speed of doing same into hyperdrive. It has added incredible value to the songwriting process.

What I find problematic is that the new technology has discouraged experimentation to some degree. "Back in the day" we'd try all kinds of crazy things in the studio to get new sounds. Nowadays, I see more plug and play. BUT as with songwriting, modern technology has created a new process of music creation, i.e., loop-based and the like. I don't see loops as devaluing music, I see it as creating a new type of process for making a different type of music.

• Members
Interesting concept. I see both the strengths and limitations.

What I find problematic is that the new technology has discouraged experimentation to some degree. "Back in the day" we'd try all kinds of crazy things in the studio to get new sounds. Nowadays, I see more plug and play. BUT as with songwriting, modern technology has created a new process of music creation, i.e., loop-based and the like. I don't see loops as devaluing music, I see it as creating a new type of process for making a different type of music.

Craig, I have to to say, this is exactly what I am attempting to articulate. As I responding to my dear friend BucksStudent above, I listen to a lot of music more than ever before and what I have discovered is the lack of experiment and endeavor to reach extremes.

Now, we can all argue the concept of: "To each his own." But I like to look at my Vinyl collections of all the greats and say, none of this would have existed if those artist played it safe.

• Members

In my experience as an Experimental and Ambient musician, I received a lot of discouragement about deviating from the typical formula and exploring new ways of songwriting and guitar playing. Granted, some of my albums are complete dog crap, but there were some I felt confident in that others despised.

• Members
In my experience as an Experimental and Ambient musician' date=' I received a lot of discouragement about deviating from the typical formula and exploring new ways of songwriting and guitar playing. Granted, some of my albums are complete dog crap, but there were some I felt confident in that others despised.[/quote']

My wife and I will listen to some of your stuff this evening over dinner, I am curious as to what you think is crap.

Please feel free to recommend and specific work.

• Members

My wife and I will listen to some of your stuff this evening over dinner, I am curious as to what you think is crap.

Please feel free to recommend and specific work.

Thankfully, I think most of my Youtube channel is quality material, but I still have recommendations based on what is available. All of my albums, save for one or two, are available for download on Mediafire and Dropbox, though I'll save you the pain of going through that.

I think my first five albums are pretty bad. By the time I made my sixth album, Chester, I was a senior in high school. I later rerecorded my first album, Urinal, and it's available on the Youtube channel. Aerial Coil, my seventh album, tends to be the favorite of select listeners.

But I don't things got really good until my 29th album, Away From Japan. That's the album that kind of rebooted my discography and revived my interest in recording. IMO, every album since then has merit.

Check out Songs From My Mental Breakdown, Sekushi Project, Dogs Without Horses, We Can't Afford Anymore Mistakes, and LaGrange. Those are my top five.

• Members

Thankfully, I think most of my Youtube channel is quality material, but I still have recommendations based on what is available. All of my albums, save for one or two, are available for download on Mediafire and Dropbox, though I'll save you the pain of going through that.

I think my first five albums are pretty bad. By the time I made my sixth album, Chester, I was a senior in high school. I later rerecorded my first album, Urinal, and it's available on the Youtube channel. Aerial Coil, my seventh album, tends to be the favorite of select listeners.

But I don't things got really good until my 29th album, Away From Japan. That's the album that kind of rebooted my discography and revived my interest in recording. IMO, every album since then has merit.

Check out Songs From My Mental Breakdown, Sekushi Project, Dogs Without Horses, We Can't Afford Anymore Mistakes, and LaGrange. Those are my top five.

I have to say, your music is very abstract interns of how its' interpreted. Reminded me of the band M83's MidNight City. Especially this song: We Can't Afford Anymore Mistakes.

You could get the message across with a remix or some kind of R&B or Hip-Hop cross over, don't change the music but layer that on-top. Maybe you can let me use your style. :)

I got this strange feeling listening to your song, like some kind of Roswell sighting or watching something like people co-existing with robots.

Your music are like abstract paintings or seeing something in the distance, knowing it's there but not knowing what exactly it is.

• Members

I have to say, your music is very abstract interns of how its' interpreted. Reminded me of the band M83's MidNight City. Especially this song: We Can't Afford Anymore Mistakes.

You could get the message across with a remix or some kind of R&B or Hip-Hop cross over, don't change the music but layer that on-top. Maybe you can let me use your style. :)

I got this strange feeling listening to your song, like some kind of Roswell sighting or watching something like people co-existing with robots.

Your music are like abstract paintings or seeing something in the distance, knowing it's there but not knowing what exactly it is.

Ha! My wife loves "Midnight City."

Three different people approached me in high school about collaborating on Hip-Hop stuff, actually. It was odd to me, because I don't associate my music with that style. I think more in terms of Brian Eno and Robert Fripp, but my fifth album was actually an entirely different project meant for a Hip-Hop side thing. A friend asked me to make a bunch of tracks for his "rap band," so I just went crazy, but his band never panned out. Those tracks haven't seen the light of day since MySpace back in 2008.

My good friend and fellow forumite, AlamoJoe, refers to my work as esoteric and more akin to abstract painting. If only other people approached it that way.

Thank you so much for listening. Even one person makes a huge difference to me!

• Members

Ha! My wife loves "Midnight City."

Three different people approached me in high school about collaborating on Hip-Hop stuff, actually. It was odd to me, because I don't associate my music with that style. I think more in terms of Brian Eno and Robert Fripp, but my fifth album was actually an entirely different project meant for a Hip-Hop side thing. A friend asked me to make a bunch of tracks for his "rap band," so I just went crazy, but his band never panned out. Those tracks haven't seen the light of day since MySpace back in 2008.

My good friend and fellow forumite, AlamoJoe, refers to my work as esoteric and more akin to abstract painting. If only other people approached it that way.

Thank you so much for listening. Even one person makes a huge difference to me!

Personally, I listen to music in a componentized fashion. A song has many layers as you already know and so I try to not just listen but to immerse myself into my own perceived thoughts of the artist.

Given the saturation of the music scene, your music really stands outs, in some cases dark in a good way and I think you can create a whole different genre if properly blended with something else.

• Members
[h=2]Are you a Christopher Nolan type of musician?[/h]

I felt that way before Nolan did... about the last two decades at least. So, Christopher Nolan is a Beck type of guy.

Especially the last decade or so I would say technology and distribution models have done more harm than good to music and movies.

• Members

I'm not sure where the Tsuchiya Seven material falls into that timeline, but I like the mix of ambient, industrial, electronic, etc...sounds like there's eBow in there...correct?

• Members

I felt that way before Nolan did... about the last two decades at least. So, Christopher Nolan is a Beck type of guy.

Especially the last decade or so I would say technology and distribution models have done more harm than good to music and movies.

Here is another way I see it:

There are no rules of the game and everything is subjective. I can record rocks in a empty soup can and that is my song, period. However, I think when some people stay at the genesis of things, it helps preserve a level of quality.

If everyone simply stayed in the current, we would have no consciousness about the past, the biggest benefits people like Nolan or Quincy Jones brings is that they are references and symbols of what things have been, the contracts between brilliant and something else.

I strongly believe that we are better as people and the things we make are better when we can think critically and the solutions don't come easy.

Like NASA, Nikola Tesla or Thomas Edison, just to name a few. Imagine what these guys were thinking?

I listen to most songs and watch most movies but certain things will forever stay with me simply because of the deep appreciation for the process.

I love the movie Lincoln but I love it even more knowing Daniel Day Lewis stayed in character. I also love the Pianist (Roman Polanski) but I love it even more knowing it was actually cold and the directory refused to allow heaters during certain shots so that he can capture the actor's reaction to the cold.

Bob Marley has been gone for almost 40 years and every time I listen, it feels like the first time.

It has to be something more than the music,

• Members

I'm not sure where the Tsuchiya Seven material falls into that timeline, but I like the mix of ambient, industrial, electronic, etc...sounds like there's eBow in there...correct?

TheTsuchiyaSeven was the result of me retiring my name after my twenty-eighth album and trying something very different. The first album was mostly synth and drum machine with some guitar thrown on top. The second album was a lot more concise and was more like my normal Experimental/Ambient style, but the EP was totally different than my original vision.

eBow is in a lot of my material, but definitely on TheTsuchiyaSeven stuff.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I think that there are some modern technologies that have devalued musicianship. Like when people treat the process of recording their so called music like it's a trip to the photo mill at the mall. 'Can you take in my waist some? I even wore a tight shirt so you could make it look like I have a six pack underneath. Oh and smooth out the crows feet and give me a tan?' It's not like they jogged and did sit-ups for a few months, or years to get in shape. It's the same to me then when someone auto - tunes the crap out of their vocals, perhaps under the guise of artistic choice, when the truth is that it was the only way to make what they had done listenable in any sense.

I remember this Sheryl Crow/Kid Rock ballade from some years ago. There's Crow being Crow, and then K.R. enters with...the Cher effect. Does anyone really believe that was purely an artistic choice? Or is it far more likely that K.R. doesn't sing so great-especially compared to Ms. Crow. and it was the only way it could be presented.

As with so many photoshopped images-we now have a world full of music-like noise. The genuine article seems ever more rare.

At least when I go to see a ballet I can still see people that can dance and do so without a net. The skill and human endeavor of it all matters still, there anyway.

Archived