Latest Win 10

1001gear

I think people are getting to the point where hacking and data leaks are almost expected. Does anyone have any real hope or expectation of data security and privacy anymore? :(

If the hard-core hackers want to hit you, you're probably toast anyway - what hope do you have if the major political parties, the US government and big companies like Sony and Microsoft can be hacked or have their data stolen? In light of that I think a lot of people throw up their hands in frustration and don't even bother trying to stay up to date on the threats anymore.

• Members

Most people I talk to about this feel safe enough hiding in the crowd and assuming they are not interesting or wealthy enough to be targeted by hackers and/or ID thieves.

The wealthier people worry more about this stuff in my experience - and probably they should.

I know at least a dozen people who have had phony tax returns filed using their stolen ID data - upper middle class, professional sorts mostly. None of them ended up actually losing money, but the IRS certainly handed out refunds to the bad guys who probably got away with it.

I assume just about everyone's ID data has been stolen or improperly shared - the line gets blurry.

We're still in the era of the "hands off the tech industry!" mindset as far as regulation and government control is concerned. I don't think that regulation and control will be avoided forever...really, if the actual data on what gets stolen and how many crimes are enabled by the web ever got out to the public, the regulation and control would probably start kicking in a big hurry. But companies and organizations and governments would rather hide the fact that they've been hacked if they can. I'm not up on the legal obligations of the large-scale hackees to disclose when they've been hacked - but shouldn't they be obligated to do so?

Remember the Bill Clinton wanted a chip in every PC that would gather data the government could access?

Do we really know how much pressure the government privately puts on Google and Microsoft, et al? How much access to those mega-databases? If I were in law enforcement, I'm sure I'd be just dreaming of the day I could tap into all that data. When the driverless car thing starts becoming an actuality, the data on everyone's movements by vehicle will be tracked - what a gold mine for law enforcement that will be!

Loss of privacy is a rather vague and euphemistic term for "being tracked, analyzed, and watched by powerful third parties". To keep you safe or to build a case against you - it's all the same to powers that will be.

nat

Archived