American Epic - PBS Documentary - mid 1920's rural recordings

• Members

I know everyone's in various stages of Beatles arousal right now, so the timing's bad. But, I happened to catch the 3rd and final episode of American Epic on PBS. I heard no hoopla promos about it which seems odd because it was so amazing. For me anyway.

In episode# 1 they say that in the mid 1920's, the urban dwellers who'd been the market for records were turning away from buying them in favor of radio. They'd been the target market for the record companies previously. Some guy named Ralph Peer had the vision to go out to rural areas and search out good music by plain folks. Then they sold records (and the players of course) to country folks. It struck me that there is sort of a parallel with the recording market today what with streaming and mp3's, CD's and such.

I've played a couple of the episodes twice since I can be putzing around in the kitchen and enjoy the wonderful music. People I'd never considered like Charley Patton. People I'd never heard of like Joseph KeKuKu (invented Hawaiian slide guitar).

So for the historically curious. Oh, and it's narrated by Robert Redford and produced by Jack White among others. Lots of interview snippets with Taj Mahal. There's also a 5 CD set that seems to have all the songs from the shows.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/american-epic/

Archived