Interesting Article about Music and "Brain Connectivity"

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Very interesting article. Thanks.

I have no knowledge of the medical/psychlogical side of things, but as a muso entertaining at seniors' facilities ranging from fully functional folks to dementia and alzheimer's units I can certainly vouch for the theories in the therapeutic aspects of music.

Case in point: At one venue we had just finished our one-hour spot and were making our way to the back of the room past the people who, for the most part, seemed to be somewhere else when a lady who had been motionless in her bed/chair for the entire hour suddenly raised her hand in a 'high five' gesture.

How gratifying that simple move was. So, although it seemed that we could have been playing to four blank walls, it was far from that, and the lady's response was illustrative of how the music was reaching into deeper levels.

These sometimes are difficult rooms to play, and many wouldn't touch these gigs with a ten foot pole, but I know why we do them.

• Members

My wife used to sing in an old peoples' home some time ago whilst I did the PA. We lived in Germany at the time.

We typically had an audience of about 30 to 40 older folk. We did various bits of operatic material, as well as mostly folk music.

It was obvious from the reactions how much spirits were lifted, especially those with Alzheimer's. many would sing along, which we actively encouraged.

The staff reported that many of their "more difficult" patients became much happier for up to a week after, often asking when we would come again.

So, I'm totally convinced about the power of music. I know the effects of music on my own feeling of well being.

Archived