Want to Know How Much Money Sound Engineers Are Making These Days?

• Members

What I found most interesting is that the necessity of a college degree is minimal. As one who started in a blue-collar field (Paramedic in Emergency Medical Services required only a high school diploma and vocational education when I started) I have seen it transition to where today it pretty much requires at least an associates degree and likely a bachelors degree. It is nice to see that a good paying career in audio can be found without the financial burden of a degree.

• CMS Author

I think that the most significant statistic in that article is that there are about 8 free-lancers for every salaried engineer. And while a full time sound engineer working in New York or Los Angeles can make a bit over $50k/year, what kind of home can you own in those cities on that salar? And how many can start near that salary right after school? And I'm not sure where the fun is, working for a salary in that part of the industry, but I'm sure there are enough people who enjoy it to fill the needs.

I'm in a dumpy Econo Lodge in Scranton, PA right now, half way home from my annual gig as sound engineer at Banjo Camp North in Charlton, MA. A weekend, two concerts about an hour and a half each, with about 15 "acts" running from soloists to bands of 6 or 7 that formed 20 minutes before going on stage. I also occasionally teach a class or two (about an hour and a quarter each), and occasionally get assigned as the guitar player in a scheduled jam.. Equipment is a combination of the camp director's and mine. My contribution is mostly mics, a few stands and cables, a recorder, and anything I want to bring to support my classes, It's held at a not very luxurious "conference center" with basic living accommodations, school cafeteria meals, My pay for this is $400.

$200 for a concert isn't too bad, but it's peanuts with all things considered. I carry enough stuff so that I have to drive, and that's about 475 miles each way. 15 years ago I could make that trip in about 8-1/2 hours, but congestion and construction have increased that to about 10 hours, a couple of hours of that being in very stressful and slow traffic - 10 mph on the Interstate, The trip is long enough so that unless I leave at about 9 PM and drive overnight I hit rush hour traffic twice, once near home and once between entering Connecticut from New York and continuing through Hartford.

Going home, I split the trip and stay overnight about midway, but yesterday's drive that should have taken just over 4 hours took just over 5 hours due to Connecticut traffic. Worst it's ever been. Then there's a tank of gas each way (about $90 total), a couple of meals on the road, a couple of bucks in tolls, and $45 tor the dumpy hotel. I could take a different route, cut about 75 miles off the drive at the cost of about $80 in tolls and an equally bad drive through Connecticut. All of the travel expenses come out of my $400.

But there are sure a lot of great banjo players to hang out with.

My next sound engineering job is the weekend after next, a two day folk festival, 10 AM to 7 PM, 30-45 minute sets all day, no two setups alike, not much in the way of competent help, and no pay. But at least it's only a half hour drive two and from home.

But leave show business? No way!

Archived