Kurt Russell Destroys $40,000 Loaner Vintage Martin Guitar in Movie

Anderton

• Moderators

well, aside from the fact that is is old news, it was indeed the failure of the property master and his team,the production manager [and possibly the script supervisor, and probably one of the assistant directors]. The insurance be damned though, the instrument was irreplaceable, and that is truly a travesty. I'm sure Kurt still has guilt pangs over this...

The guitars destroyed by musicians in the name of being 'edgy' were not collector's items in and of themselves

[i actually had an SG neck that Townsend smashed at the Westside Tennis Stadium around 1967...traded it for a Foxx Fuzz in 1971...after seeing 'Blow Up' for the second time]

That's a supreme failure on the part of the production team.....

Then again....Pete Townshend...Jimi Hendrix....If we could go back and tally up the guitars they smashed we'd all probably faint dead away.

True, but nearly all of those were current production instruments at the time they were destroyed - easily replaceable. An 1870s era Martin? There's very few of those around. But those 60s era guitars that those guys trashed would certainly be worth a lot more money now.

Besides, price tag aside, I've never understood the idea of breaking guitars like that. To me, it would be better to give it to some kid in the audience who wants to learn how to play...

• Members

Besides, price tag aside, I've never understood the idea of breaking guitars like that. To me, it would be better to give it to some kid in the audience who wants to learn how to play...

No kidding. I feel terrible about the guitars that don't meet Gibson's standards and get cut in half.

No kidding. I feel terrible about the guitars that don't meet Gibson's standards and get cut in half.

Me too, but at least there's a good reason for them doing that. If they just gave them away to school music programs or whatever, eventually they'd find their way out to the general public / used market, and it would potentially be detrimental to Gibson's reputation for putting out first-class, high-quality gear since people would assume that it was a "first" (normal, high-quality production model that was sold to the public) and dis the company for whatever the "flaw" was.

File under - no good deed goes unpunished.

• 2 weeks later...
Did Gibson always destroy 2nd's? I heard of a guy down here in Houston that was selling Gibson factory 2nd;s. This was mid 70's.

I know Fender used to sell guitars marked as seconds, and I'm pretty sure Gibson did too during the Norlin era, but that would be prior to the mid-80s.

• 1 month later...

Archived