Is Analog Making a Comeback?

• Members

OK, I know the issue of vinyl records has been talked about here before, and how the sales of vinyl continue to increase. However, this isn't about vinyl records or even music. It is about... film.

It seems that analog photography is making a come back, both in amateur circles and with professionals as well. So much so that Kodak announced it will be starting up production on the Ektachrome Film line for release in the fourth quarter of 2017. Ektachrome became widely liked by photographers during its heyday, and pictures taken with it were prominent in National Geographic magazine.

More of the article at http://petapixel.com/2017/01/05/kodak-ektachrome-film-coming-back/

So are we beginning to see where people are realizing that analog and digital can live and work together? That there is something about analog, especially in the "creative arts" (for lack of a better term) that digital just can't match.

On a side note, I'm kinda glad I still have my two SLR cameras - a Cannon TX that I bought in my sophomore year of high school and a Cannon AE1 that I got after getting married. Still have the flash unit and lenses. The TX went with me to Egypt when I was TDY for Operation Bright Star. Both cameras were great to work with.

• Members

Interesting timing. My present to myself this Christmas was an Epson V600 scanner so I could scan my father's slides. I found that no matter what scanner resolution I chose, either there's an inherent limitation in scanning slides (I don't think so, though) or there's a point of diminishing returns that happens past about 600 dpi because it reaches the physical resolution of film...I guess it's what's called "grain."

I don't know if there's an inherent "quality" to film that digital doesn't have; it seems the resolution of digital cameras goes about as far as film did, although this is NOT my field of expertise...hopefully Ken Lee will weigh in. But what I can say is some slides needed restoration or color correction, and digital processing allows them to attain the potential of what he saw when he looked through the viewfinder.

I do wish I could tell him, my mother, and brother that I'm preserving his legacy...but at least my daughter will be able to enjoy them, and know a bit more about the grandfather she never met.

• Members

Well that wasn't the intention...but it does make one think about how art can be immortal, even though people aren't. One of the beautiful things about technology, whether it's analog and in a race against time to be preserved, or digital and backed up religiously to new storage media periodically, is that we have a record of our civilization.

If only someone could have recorded Bach's Brandenburgs while they were being played...or I wonder what Beethoven's 1st Symphony sounded like when it made its debut in Vienna, especially given that the "opening act" was a Mozart Symphony, something from Haydn," and for good measure, one of Beethoven's piano concertos. Would love to have THAT as a boxed set!!!

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but in a way, it's not. We can look into old daguerrotypes, look people in the eyes, and get a very fleeting glimpse of their souls...

• Members

On another side note...I made 3 audio recordings (about 40-60 minutes each) of my mother maybe about 8 years ago, before mini-strokes and then strokes took her ability to speak. I recorded her memories of childhood in the 1930's and 40's. Her father was a sharecropper in SW Georgia. She died 4 years ago. Some of you might consider doing this with your parents while they are still able.

Archived