Songs that induce musical nostalgia

Folder

• Members

Every once in a while I will hear a song that I haven't heard in a really long time and it will take me back to a place in time from my youth. Usually they are songs from when I was about junior high school age. The time when I was just beginning to really get into music.

I heard this one yesterday and when it came on the radio I had the feeling of standing in the school lunch line and could almost smell the ravioli they used to serve.

I really liked this song back then but had no idea who sang it or anything about it.

Until yesterday I had actually forgotten it existed.

SKYLARK by WILDFLOWER

[video=youtube;Z9lWlFYTsBE]

• Members

I hadn't heard it (and I'm old enough); I found that it charted in Canada- I'm in the US of A.

You don't seem to be explicitly inviting forum participation as in "share yours", but... yes I have many songs that trigger tied-in memories. Music seems to be a rich medium for this. Makes me think of the wonderful effect on AIzheimer's disease patients. I wonder what it is that music has in it that creates such a profound trigger?

• Members

I used to get a strange pang from this.

[video=youtube;s7vZ8UNyj5o]

evoked images of swimming at a pond where I grew up. No - stalgia though. None and strangely it doesn't do a thing for me now. They got the wrong singer, could be Tom Jones for all I care.

Maybe it was some other song....

• Members

I remember the OP's song. It was on the radio a lot where I lived.

Nothing Andrew Lloyd Weber wrote will ever induce nostalgia in me.

But that's just personal preference.

I also distinguish the recording from the song where I park my nostalgia.

This particular RECORD is one of probably hundreds that can trigger nostalgia in me.

It triggered some earlier this week.

NfpDdFm7m0I

This SONG triggers nostalgia no matter who records it, no matter what language or orchestration.

It's a rare beauty.

Oz_hlInpeWA

• Members

Oddly enough...I had a really hard time thinking of a song that triggered anything that could be considered nostalgic...The I remembered this one...I know...A chick song to be sure...But it made me think of my own discomfort at that my age, and my kid sister's plight at that time as well...

• Members

There are two songs that really stop me in my tracks and take me back to my childhood. Funny thing is both are just as relevant now as when they were released.

The first one would be Harry Chapin's "Cats in the Cradle." Came out in 1974 - was 13 at the time. As I become an adult and father, tried to make sure I wasn't one like in the song.

[video=youtube;KUwjNBjqR-c]

The second one would be Henson Cargill's "Skip a Rope". Came out in 1967. Was 6 at that time - watching the turmoil going on across the US on TV (civil rights conflicts, Vietnam, etc).

[video=youtube;8GKWoQ9wrnk]

• Members
Oddly enough...I had a really hard time thinking of a song that triggered anything that could be considered nostalgic...The I remembered this one...I know...A chick song to be sure...But it made me think of my own discomfort at that my age, and my kid sister's plight at that time as well...

Good choice.

• Members

A lot of songs bring nostalgia... the weird thing is, I was moving some stuff around the studio on New Years Eve... I wanted to listen to something but every time I played something, I got nostalgic... granted it was New Years Eve but I didn`t want to feel that way. So I turned all the music off and just worked in silence.

I used to get nostalgic a lot when I was younger... now as I`m in my mid life I decided not to spend too much time on the past. We always think things were better "back in the good ol` days" but I`m starting to learn the present is really all that matters.

Archived