The Best-Selling CD of 2016 in Italy Is...(You'll Never Guess)

Anderton

• Members
Classical music sales in Italy are up 20% over last year. I'm a major classical music fan, it has been a huge influence on everything I do.

I order occasional box sets. Mostly JSP Records. 4 or 5 cd sets. Louis Armstrong's Hot bands in the late '20s. Charlie Parker from 1940-1948. I like the idea of having a sort of library. No ransomware dudes can hold my CD collection hostage unless they break into my house. And the streaming services can't hold the music hostage to price gouging. It may not happen. But cable TV has been that way for a long time.

And I think that without certain classical music, some of the non-classical musicians wouldn't be who they were. Keith Jarrett and Bill Evans playing (jazz piano) standards used voice leading as used in Bach's music. Just applied to some funkier harmonies. And even Don Van Vliet a.k.a. Captain Beefheart. If you listen to "Lick My Decals Off Baby" - the album. My theory is that he fuses ideas from (Igor) Stravinsky and Delta blues artists. My point is that classical music is a well that other styles can draw from.

Archived