OT: "Classic" band that you just cannot stand?

Red Ant

• Moderators

For me its The Doors, hands down. Between JM's drunken mewl, his pseudo-poetry lyrical meanderings, Ray's stiff-@$$ playing with the hideous Vox organ sound, and Krieger's cringe-worthy guitaring, its just a horror show for me. Densmore's alright though, dude was a good swingin' drummer.

Then there's their love for Kurt Veil. Oh and no bass. :mad:

Go...

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That`s a tough one..maybe Yes? Yes the band.

-I used to go through my dads record collection when I was a kid, playing every one. I`m talking like before I was 8 because that`s when he left. I put on a Yes record and almost puked. The Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, and Blind Faith records(amongst many more) were just fine to my ears.

• Moderators
That`s a tough one..maybe Yes? Yes the band.

I can dig that. I'm not a huge fan. I refer to it as "Elf music". Jethro Tull is "Dwarf Music". :lol:

But I love love LOVE Bill Bruford. Some of the drumming on the early Yes records is just astounding, and saves it from being stiff as hell. Basically I can listen to Bruford & Squire all day, and the rest of them get on my nerves. The writing is also often terrible, both music and lyrics. My friend used to describe it as the "Jon Anderson peyote & OJ in the morning school of lyric writing" :lol:

My favorite Yes is actually a cover:

[video=youtube;Q0JkTIKm2iY]

From 0 to 2:15, its typical Yes overblown pseudo-classical bombast. But at 2:15 it really takes off, and you can hear just how much of a Chet Atkins fanboy Steve Howe really is :)

You can also see a super cool vintage console towards the end of the video ;)

• Members

I can dig that. I'm not a huge fan. I refer to it as "Elf music". Jethro Tull is "Dwarf Music". :lol:

But I love love LOVE Bill Bruford. Some of the drumming on the early Yes records is just astounding, and saves it from being stiff as hell. Basically I can listen to Bruford & Squire all day, and the rest of them get on my nerves. The writing is also often terrible, both music and lyrics. My friend used to describe it as the "Jon Anderson peyote & OJ in the morning school of lyric writing" :lol:

My favorite Yes is actually a cover:

[video=youtube;Q0JkTIKm2iY]

From 0 to 2:15, its typical Yes overblown pseudo-classical bombast. But at 2:15 it really takes off, and you can hear just how much of a Chet Atkins fanboy Steve Howe really is :)

Yeah I`ll add Jethro Tull(whatever that means) to the mix. I like the 6 note Aqualung riff and that`s it.:lol:

• Members
There's no such thang as good prog rock, it all sucked. All souless incessant noodling. Ok end of rant.

The Doors were the 60's. F...ing awesomely good and bad but always interesting

That`s kind of what my dad would tell me if he was drunk and blasting something horrible like Yes.."Oh they were great in their day"

• Members

The Stones. It's mostly Mick Jagger as the front man I don't care for. I'm not really into the garage band sound either. Jagger is an image I don't want stuck in my head. He looks like Gollum from Lord of the Rings. It could be worse. I could have said the Beatles.

• Moderators
The Stones. It's mostly Mick Jagger as the front man I don't care for. I'm not really into the garage band sound either. Jagger is an image I don't want stuck in my head. He looks like Gollum from Lord of the Rings. It could be worse. I could have said the Beatles.

You think Jagger looks like Gollum? Try Steve Howe :lol:

images_zps961d36e2.jpg

• Members

Yeah, I guess we could find a few of them. Jagger moves like Gollum. Maybe not so much his face but his stage persona... basically a walking corpse that refuses to accept he is dead. And that's been as long as can remember, so it's not simply because he's aging.

• Members

There is so much classic rock I couldn't stand back in the day, and the same holds for the present. I was so glad when that era was over.. . . a bunch of sh!t music. Here's a partial list to start.

Stones

The (Sh!t) Band

Doobie (Smeg-For-Brains) Brothers

Doors

Aerosmith

Pink Floyd

Eagles

Donovan

Todd (Fookhead) Rundgren

Electric Light (bulb up your ass) Orchestra

Jackson (Sh!tface) Browne

Bob Seger

Moody Blues

Procol Harem

Paul Simon

Simon and Garfunkle

KISS

Steely Dan

Janis Joplin

Tom Petty and Heartbreakers

Greatful Dead

Van Morrison

Paul McCartney

CCR

Fleetwood Mac

John Lennon

Bob Dylan

The Who

The Beatles

. . . any kind of crappy folk or disco music.

• Members

RIDERS ON THE STORM is all time !! )fetch?id=31535308

fetch?id=31535306

a more interesting question for me is !! ( :

Does Duality exponentially decrease as bands increase membership from 2 to 3 to 4 ... (et al !! )

towards Homogeneity ?? ) :shrug: :idk:

:idea:

can you stand me ?? )

:)

• Members

Fleetwood Mac. The worst thing about them is Stevie Nicks' whiny vocals. I also have a special dislike for the Steve Miller Band. When they sing ''Jet Airliner,'' the ''liner'' part rhymes with ''rhino'' as in ''jet air-lino.'' It just grates on my nerves.

• Members
For me its The Doors, hands down. Between JM's drunken mewl, his pseudo-poetry lyrical meanderings, Ray's stiff-@$$ playing with the hideous Vox organ sound, and Krieger's cringe-worthy guitaring, its just a horror show for me. Densmore's alright though, dude was a good swingin' drummer.

Then there's their love for Kurt Veil. Oh and no bass. :mad:

Go...

I love Krieger's solo on Light My Fire.

He had an outside-the-box way of playing that suited the Doors.

• Members

If Boston counts as classic, then Boston. Eww. Gross hideous. I've 'figured out' and come to love a lot of the rock music ihated when younger (mostly 80s stuff)... But I don't think I'll ever understand Boston. And I am just fine with it. Those guitars are disgusting. At first glimpse, I didn't care for Brian May'sctonr in Queen; then I came to understand it's 'place,' it's purpose, how it helped with the ensemble string-like arrangements. Now I love Queen... but they had good songwriting to start with, as well as a 'theatrical' theme that is fitting for such a niche guitar tone. Boston otoh has nothing but ear-curdling fizz and sh*tty pointless lyrics. Yuck.

Meanwhile, I hear many people disliking the doors out here on the east coast.... music came up first on a first date last year, and she went on and on about how she couldn't stand Ray Manzarek. Only band that made her skin crawl (her words) even more was Steely Dan! ... I did not pursue a second meeting.

I still love the Doors. Maybe ya gotta be from California? In The End, I'll just say I feel heart wrenching sympathy for anyone whose Morrisonphobia prevents them from fully appreciating Apocalypse Now.

Archived