What's the best live concert you've seen recently?

UstadKhanAli

• Members

"Recently" is relative, so I figured I'd leave it vague. :D

This summer, I saw quite a lot of live music. I'd probably say the stand-outs would be Sigur Ros and, believe it or not, E.L.O., both at the Hollywood Bowl here in Los Angeles, CA. Sigur Ros was mesmerizing, often subtle, sublimely beautiful, and atmospheric, sometimes bold. E.L.O. was vibrant, and with the aid of the L.A. Philharmonic, made Jeff Lynne's amazing songs and insanely clever arrangements come to life. The latter was almost note-for-note from their albums, quite often, but it worked.

• Members

'Recent' is pretty relative here... Mine was Deep Purple in Ravinia Pavilion (Highland Park Ill.) around 2013. Deep Purple with the Chicago symphony orchestra (Jon Lord was still alive then). Amazing performances, and the best live sound I've ever heard anywhere. Ever.

Opening act was several guys who used to be in Boston (before the band re-formed). Also awesome.

• Members

Recently for some may mean in the last month or so. I figured for me, it was since this summer.

Sigur Ros...well, that was the first time they had come to Los Angeles in ten years, I think. I have been waiting a long time to see them, and especially since I had just returned from visiting Iceland, I especially wanted to see them. Fantastic band.

For smaller gigs, not really concerts, but small gigs, I've seen Sly and Robbie, Gang of Four, Algiers (from Georgia), and a few others recently, and all were very very good.

• Members

"Live" is relative, but I've seen "The Wall" a several times in the last five years and it is one spectacular multi-media show. I would have really liked to have been able to see it during the last presidential election cycle, as the show visuals appeared to ever evolving.

• Members

Fleetwood Mac in Atlanta, GA 2013. The whole gang was there. First time I'd seen Lindsey and Stevie on stage together since I had no gray hairs at all. That's been the standout concert in recent years. Great music, great show!

• Members

I saw Fleetwood Mac I think a couple of years ago, whatever the tour was where Christine McVie came back. That was a really great show. I was expecting to be good, but it was reeeeeeally good.

That same year, I also saw a band from Georgia called Algier, who were also very good.

• Members

Can I ask you to elaborate on the recent Sly & Robbie show? I'm a big fan. I saw them with Black Uhuru twice in the early 80s, and with their own Taxi showcase with Half Pint and others, in Santa Cruz. Incredible shows, especially Black Uhuru, who had a serious, militant vibe and were deafeningly loud.

• Members

It makes sense that it takes an orchestra (and probably some modern vocal processing) to make ELO sound good. I saw them live in the late 70s and they did not sound good or at all like their records, esp. the vocals. (Saw them to see Steve Hiillage open, he blew them away IMO)

Best shows this year: Nolatet* http://nolatet.com/ , Sonny Landreth, Oz Noy, Faust.

Last Year: The Aristocrats.

*I've been getting a lot of enjoyment exploring the music of people associated with Critters Buggin' and the Dead Kenny G's (which includes Nolatet, Floratone with Bill Frisell and Garage A Trois with Charlie Hunter) there's a lot of variety, innovation, humor, musicianship and originality to be discovered.

• Members

http://www.countbasietheatre.org/cal...sp?id=43250370

Excellent show...I see Rod Argent and Colin Blunestone whenever they tour my area..my wife and I had dinner with them when they played the Keswick theater in Philly, about 8 years ago ..true charming English Gents.

But...Felix Cavaliere captured the audience...and the evening..this show.

Wish the original ( Young) Rascals , Eddie Brigati, Gene Cornish, Felix Cavaliere, Dino Danelli, would settle their differences and tour again.

saw them so many times in the NY metro area back in the day...

True Jersey Boys.

the real deal.

• Members
It makes sense that it takes an orchestra (and probably some modern vocal processing) to make ELO sound good. I saw them live in the late 70s and they did not sound good or at all like their records' date=' esp. the vocals. (Saw them to see Steve Hiillage open, he blew them away IMO)[/quote']

I have a Steve Hillage live album, and it is really really great. I would love to have seen him back in the day.

• Members

in march or so i was at muse, which was a really great show

also have seen massive attack at a festival, nice but have seen better concert from them

neil young at an open air, where i got too drunk and i'm still angry about myself

and last month the cure, where the location really sucked and therefrore the concert was not so great

so this years highlight was muse

Archived