The convenience rule...

1001gear

• CMS Author

I heard about a scheme where malware was planted on computers and mobile devices when they were plugged into one of those free charging stations at an airport. I think it might have been a TV program, but it's certainly possible, particularly if someone modified a charging station with a gadget like the Poison Tap. It would probably require replacing the USB cables as well, since they probably don't have conductors for the data lines. A good hour's work for someone who switched a cleaning crew shirt for a Samsung one.

When they figure out how to infect you via an AC connection, then we're all really sunk.

I don't use public wifi, and I don't use charging stations and I don't let others connect things to my computers and I don't click on suspicious links or open unexpected emails from people I don't know. But in spite of that I'm still not foolish enough to think there's no way I couldn't be the victim of a cyberattack.

It's sad that it's come to this.

• Members
When they figure out how to infect you via an AC connection, then we're all really sunk.

I don't use public wifi, and I don't use charging stations and I don't let others connect things to my computers and I don't click on suspicious links or open unexpected emails from people I don't know. But in spite of that I'm still not foolish enough to think there's no way I couldn't be the victim of a cyberattack.

It's sad that it's come to this.

Speaking of suspicious links, there's a couple in the Community Show and Tell right now which I refuse to click. srsly

• Members

Can you flag them for me please? Or send me a PM with a link to the post? I'd appreciate it!

Normally I just plow into 'em and flag away but these mentioned malware in the title. Clicking that and being infected woulda been hilarious. so, i just posted here. Somebody took 'em down though. The author was some dfg dfg dfg or similar. Glad they're gone.

• Members

Whenever I'm away from my computer, unless it's at home with me, I shut it off. I suppose that's as good or better than putting it to sleep.

I'm very careful on-line, like most of us, never frivolously open attachments, surf carefully, keep my AV up-to-date, back up my data and then power down the back up drive, and so on.

I don't think it's impossible to get me, it's just that being a difficult target lowers my chances.

It's a jungle out there.

Archived