What was new at AES?

• Members

The first thing I noticed was that the death of hardware at the hands of software is vastly overrated. Sure saw a lot of rack mount units.

The second thing was VR. Some of the demos were breathtaking...not sure how things would work in the long run, though. I keep thinking back to Ernest Buckley's comment that the videos for my songs distracted from the music.

Hmmm...might start a separate thread about VR...

• CMS Author

My annual AES show report is now posted. Visit the Trade Show Reports page for this one and reports from other shows, or jump straight to it here. As usual, it's about what I noticed and found interesting. If you don't see something here that you're curious about, it might have been at the show and either I missed it, reported on it at a previous show, or it just wasn't my thing.

Between Phil's excellent photos and my excellent text, you'll feel like you were there. And you should have been there yourself. ;)

• Members

What was new was that I saw Craig giving a talk about how to make my vocals twice as good. This hasn't happened yet, and so Craig will be receiving some paperwork from my lawyers. ;)

On the other hand, it was great to see him, however briefly. I feel like it's been quite a while.

http://www.aes.org/events/141/projectstudioexpo/?ID=5239

• Members
The first thing I noticed was that the death of hardware at the hands of software is vastly overrated. Sure saw a lot of rack mount units.

The second thing was VR. Some of the demos were breathtaking...not sure how things would work in the long run, though. I keep thinking back to Ernest Buckley's comment that the videos for my songs distracted from the music.

Hmmm...might start a separate thread about VR...

So many people I was speaking to were talking about VR. It felt like the theme of the show.

And I agree. There's no death of hardware at the hands of software. There was quite a lot of hardware.

Great to see you, Craig. Far too briefly, but great to see you.

What was new was that I saw Craig giving a talk about how to make my vocals twice as good. This hasn't happened yet, and so Craig will be receiving some paperwork from my lawyers. ;)

On the other hand, it was great to see him, however briefly. I feel like it's been quite a while.

http://www.aes.org/events/141/projectstudioexpo/?ID=5239

That's okay Ken, I got some compromising photos of Craig doing unspeakable things with amp modellers... like making them sound good. I'll be more than happy to share them with you if you want. ;):wave:

Sorry I missed you bud!

• Members

My back has been killing me and I had just had a procedure done on it, so I wasn't really calling people to see if they were there. I should have texted you or Elson, but didn't. Oh well. Hopefully see you soon at some point. You can bring those compromising photos of Craig doing unspeakable things with amp modelers then.

• 3 weeks later...
  • CMS Author

The AES show for me is basically a bunch of microphones that I can't afford :)

I just came for the free swag, reusable bags and free beer :)

I'll have to hang out with you next show. I hardly got any swag at this show, no flashlights, no letter openers, no earphones, not even a T shirt. I had some pretty nice free wine, but missed the free beer. I remember a free beer at the NAB show that was so awful that I went to the nearest bathroom and poured it out in the sink.

• Members

I'll have to hang out with you next show. I hardly got any swag at this show, no flashlights, no letter openers, no earphones, not even a T shirt. I had some pretty nice free wine, but missed the free beer. I remember a free beer at the NAB show that was so awful that I went to the nearest bathroom and poured it out in the sink.

If you're going to NAMM in January, I'll show you my Jedi swag-acquiring skillz.:D

Archived