I would like try and emulate this crackled broken up old radio

Luke17

• Members

Not sure if you're referring to just the vocals or the overall sound, but the vocals are a huge part of the sound so let's start there...there's distortion (not a huge amount, not like a high-gain amp) and EQ to take off some highs. I'd start with an amp sim and choose an amp that's designed for "crunch" as opposed to clean or lead, and pull back a bit on the highs.

There's also significant amounts of distortion on some of the tracks, It doesn't sound like there's overall processing with distortion during the mastering, but that the distortion is limited to particular tracks.

In any event, it sure is catchy...:)

• Members

Thanks for turning me on to it. The production is an addictive combination of industrial, rock, and dance. What's also interesting is there's no real "song" in the conventional sense of the world (imagine it on sheet music!), it's more like an environment with words and music. Pretty cool.

• Members

Interesting ..I recently described the song exactly the same way to a friend..Industrial/Rockish and Dance.

I loved the over done Brit Cockney? (not sure if that's what it is but it is certainly 'affected.'.) accent

I think the Guitarist is/will be touring touring with Jeff Beck..the vocalist too.

It is a vid that I keep watching and listening to over and over..

Sounds great through a crappy system or high end components and I pick up a different nuance which each listen.

• Members

Maybe he'll uncover some more goodies for us, so we don't have to wade through miles and miles of generic stuff found in other media. :)

I feel ya man....Information that really isn't. A veritable sea of nonsense and blandness.

• Members

[quote=AlamoJoe;n31783269

Point of reference on that "Collab #1". he used it on my voice.

also on the drumtrack

it's pretty versatile and can do subtle filtered and mellow dist all the way up to total annihilation

Alternatively I'd use Speakerphone to get the cracly old radio sound

[video=youtube;QNn8aPehlf8]

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I personally LOVE the sound of music playing in mono through an old car radio OR through an old TV set, especially strings. That is my favorite sound in the world.

Screw stereo, screw hi-fi, digital. I'll take the Perry Mason theme in mono on an old TV set to any thing out there today.

• Members

yeah Etienne,

it's a lovely honest sound...

I still have RTR tapes of me playing my Silvertone/Danolectric 417 U-I guitar through a Mono Stromberg-Carlson PA amp that my Dad repaired for a local church and they never picked it up..

A lovely, old school, undiluted, and honest sound. came from that old mono S-C .

He later set the Stromberg Carlson back to its original purpose as a back up PA for our garage band.

When my mom passed in 2000...we were cleaning out the house and one of my brothers threw it out inadvertently, not realizing the value. been it the house since the mid 1950's.

They are fetching some really good prices on eBay..

Guitarists are fighting for them. the have a nice pure look too.

Back to mono sound..I always loved 'The Theme from Peter Gunn' coming through on mono.

• Members
yeah Etienne,

it's a lovely honest sound...

I still have RTR tapes of me playing my Silvertone/Danolectric 417 U-I guitar through a Stromberg-Carlson PA amp that my Dad repaired for a local church and they never picked it up..

A lovely, old school, undiluted, and honest sound. came from that old S-C .

He later set the Stromberg Carlson back to its original purpose as a back up PA for our garage band.

When my mom passed in 2000...we were cleaning out the house and one of my brothers threw it out inadvertently, not realizing the value. been it the house since the mid 1950's.

They are fetching some really good prices on eBay..

Guitarists are fighting for them. the have a nice pure look too.

Back to mono sound..I always loved 'The Theme from Peter Gunn' coming through on mono.

Best version of the "Peter Gunn" theme I ever heard was back in the 90's by a power trio that called themselves "ChuckleHead and the Mumblebreaths". Wish there was a recording of it. Truly defied description. Bass,Drums, Guitar at ear splitting levels.

• Members
interesting tidbit..alamo joe..

just wondering..Did Chucklehead and the mumblebreaths record their version in Mono?

If they did I have no knowledge of it. They made a lot of recordings however. I haven't spoken to any of them in at least a decade. I have none of their recordings. I have about a dozen recordings of a band I was in with their drummer. I have two recordings the guitarist/keyboardist/Chief songwriter made at my home studio...But that was from over twenty years ago.

They played "Peter Gunn" at a live gig at a place called Fitzgerald's down here in Houston. The only cover song they did at that gig.

It rocked. It loosened several of my fillings. I loved it. The guitar player was a lefty who used all righty guitars, none a Strat.

Archived