I finally got a new laptop!

• Members

My old Lenovo X60 was driving me crazy and after bumping into this Lenovo IdeaPad 500 with 8gb of ram and 1tb hard disk....for under $300 ...I bought it !

This is running Windows 10 HOME and so far, in one day, MALWAREBYTES told me I had 23 viruses. Go figure.....So the fun never ends.

Dan

My old Lenovo X60 was driving me crazy and after bumping into this Lenovo IdeaPad 500 with 8gb of ram and 1tb hard disk....for under $300 ...I bought it !

That sounds like one heck of a deal Dan - where did you find it?

BTW, congrats on the new laptop! :cool2:

This is running Windows 10 HOME and so far, in one day, MALWAREBYTES told me I had 23 viruses. Go figure.....So the fun never ends.

Dan

23 viruses in a DAY??? :eekphil: Where the heck are you 'net surfing?

• CMS Author

23 viruses in a DAY??? Where the heck are you 'net surfing?

They probably came pre-installed.

I use Malwarebytes and while it hasn't found a virus on my computer yet, it always surprises me with a couple of PUPs (Potentially Undesirable Programs), usually in the form of registry keys left over from things that I've uninstalled.

• Members

My stuff never finds anything. I should be happy but it makes me suspicious. What I mostly get from aggressive surfing is tracking cookies. Superantispyware corrals those in a few seconds - ok, 30, 40 but that's quick enough if that's all you got. Trackers that is. I stop the scan and nuke the cookies and check out.

Another quickie and freebie is Process Explorer from sysinternals.com. I think it's now a Microsoft product and reasonably safe. It checks everything running with 50 to 60 engines in the cloud and tells you in seconds and at a glance what's clean and what's suspect.

I run various - Malwarebytes, SAS, and my local antivirus complete scans as periodic maintenance only.

• Members

I got the deal @ BestBuy Someone bought it tried it for a few days and brought it back. That is why I checked it with malwarebytes. (even though the salesman assured me that it was wiped clean) I had it opened and inspected it before buying. LOOKED NEW TO ME ! I also played with it in the Oakland Mall (greater Detroit area) before bringing it across the border back to Canada. I just wish that our dollar was at par....closer to $450 Can. for me. However a very good deal over here because it retails for $850 Can.

Only surprise so far was that the Ethernet plug was unrecognizable to me. It is a spring loaded thing which is only halfway opened.

BTW I get over 300 emails every day (over 6 addresses) They are usually the source of trouble.

Dan

Archived