ZVEX Candela Vibrophase

MikeRivers

• CMS Author
I think it might result in a new sub-genre of Steampunk called Candlepunk. ;)

I saw this at NAMM and I have to admire Zachary's ingenuity in coming up with it.

Where was I? I certainly would have included it in my show report if I'd seen it. Maybe it was in that noisy section of Hall E with all the guitar effects and amplifiers with everyone trying one (or the other or both) trying to hear himself over everyone else doing the same thing.

In a way it reminded me of the "bong microphone" that worked by detecting modulated smoke. I saw that at an AES show a few years back and it seemed to have disappeared in a cloud of smoke.

I missed the bong microphone. :lol:

The ZVex booth isn't downstairs in Hall E, it's usually upstairs in one of the passageways between two of the halls. I forget which one it was this year - I think between A and B, although it might be between B and C or even C and D.

The candle powered effects unit was sitting under a glass dome in the center of one of their counter displays.

• CMS Author
I missed the bong microphone. :lol:

The ZVex booth isn't downstairs in Hall E, it's usually upstairs in one of the passageways between two of the halls. I forget which one it was this year - I think between A and B, although it might be between B and C or even C and D.

The candle powered effects unit was sitting under a glass dome in the center of one of their counter displays.

Oh, right . . I did see that and puzzled over it a bit but didn't look at it too closely because I didn't think it was a real product, or even a worthwhile basis for a product. A glass case was right where it belonged - and I mean that in the good way.

• CMS Author

I'd heard about the price. The actual audio path is plain ol' opto-electronics. It could certainly be built a lot more simply with an electric motor, but like he says, it's not something for a gigging musician. Other than perhaps some randomness resulting from the unstable candle flame, which could certainly be emulated by an LED and a controller, I don't see where the candle and Sterling cycle engine is important to the tone or controllability. But then, I'm not a conny-sewer of guitar effects.

• Members
I'd heard about the price. The actual audio path is plain ol' opto-electronics. It could certainly be built a lot more simply with an electric motor' date=' but like he says, it's not something for a gigging musician. Other than perhaps some randomness resulting from the unstable candle flame, which could certainly be emulated by an LED and a controller, I don't see where the candle and Sterling cycle engine is important to the tone or controllability. But then, I'm not a conny-sewer of guitar effects.[/quote']

from how phaser work, it needs an oscilator for the modulation and a feedback loop and most of them has some ldr or opto electronics in it.

so what zvex did, is taking some standard basic circuit design and using some unusual parts to built it.

its really cool, cause usual steam punk is just design and looking cool, but this is actually working. i had a big smile on my face when i saw this video yesterday or day before.

yes zach must have a crazy mind to come up to built something like this

Archived