Apollo 10 Declassified Tapes Reveal Puzzling ‘Musical’ Transmission from Moon’s Dark Side

Anderton

• Members

Yse, we all know it's not music produced by intelligent lifeforms. Well, at least we think it isn't. But that doesn't make the mystery any less mysterious, and the resemblance to "space music" makes me wonder if maybe we're "tuning in' to something here on earth that we haven't quite identified...I'm not saying this is like the greatest discovery in history or anything, but clearly, there's a question that has no answer. The fact that the astronauts didn't want to say anything for fear they'd be grounded is interesting in its own right.

Apollo 10 declassified tapes to reveal puzzling ‘musical’ transmission from Moon’s dark side

https://www.rt.com/usa/333184-apollo-nasa-tapes-declassified/

• Members

Allot of these documentaries attempt to create conspiracy interests. You have them for the Bermuda Triangle, UFO's Stonehenge etc. I highly doubt the Astronauts or Nasa tried hide it because they suspected alien transmissions. It was more likely a non event for them not worth mentioning.

I used to do allot of shortwave DXing growing up. There are all kinds of magnetic radio waves bounding around in space. Many cant be explained because the waves can changes in unexpected ways. Anyone whose worked on radios know how sensitive RF coils can be. Just getting near them can cause strange tones to occur. Astronauts were still using analog gear back then so allot of unexpected side effects occur making receivers that sensitive are likely the answer.

Just because we don't know the exact source doesn't mean we have to look to the supernatural. The radio itself can easily be the source of the sound. Radio uses a carrier signal to transmit and receive information. When those RF coils lose the lock on a carrier they are free to "wonder" and given the strength the transceivers need to be to transmit such distances they can lock onto anything that can generate a signal, including other gear on the spacecraft, and even the human body. It can be a harmonic of the carrier wave too.

A Theremin are based on radio and then body's ability to act like an antenna causing radio coils to feedback do make synth like tones. I'm sure the source of the sound isn't as mysterious as some people might think. The radio's ability to pick up background noise is truly no mystery. Those radios were designed on earth where the noise floor is high from all the stray EMF. The squelch circuit was designed for that clutter but it would have limitations, especially with the carrier missing. When they went in back of the moon the noise floor dropped way down the ambient noises in space and from the radio running without a carrier is likely the cause. Its interesting, but not anywhere near being a supernatural event.

• Members

As I said, "Yes, we all know it's not music produced by intelligent lifeforms." Nor do we need to look to the supernatural, but unexplained phenomena are...unexplained. I'm sure that people flipped out when they saw an Aurora Borealis for the first time back in the stone age. It may have a prosaic explanation involving radio interface, but I'd be more inclined to think it would be a natural phenomenon interacting with the radio.

• Members

ummmm, just because we dont know/arent capable of discerning the source doesnt automatically make it supernatural... actually, id say its rather ordinary, just news to us... space " sounds " have been documented numerous times and in most instances sound just like well played gongs.

• Members

There is a background noise in the universe. It is variously described as residual noise from the big bang, or as the sum of all the noise from astronomical events (quasars, revolving black holes, etc.). What ever the source, it is pretty consistent in level: -173 dBm for a 1Hz received bandwidth, at least on Earth.

Any local space events that cause radio noise (like coronal discharges from the sun) will be above that baseline noise level, making it possible to pick them up with radios.

This is an interesting topic, but trying to identify the sources of each component of noise is a lot like trying to identify an individual persons clapping while 100,000 other people are also clapping.

I always enjoyed listening to the shortwave radio as a kid. The amazing variety of sounds you can hear are endless. I'm surprised someone hasn't put out a sample library of them yet.

• Members

we are told that everything vibrates. this makes sense in my world. it only stands to reason, from my limited perspective, that some of that vibration is observed as sound by the senses, some of it vibrates so slowly that our very limited senses perceive it as solid matter... mr anderton? i respectfully disagree that the music is not made by intelligent life forms on the grounds that the possibility exists that we exist as part of a much larger living system than we are able to understand. your worlds may be different, but i live in mine.

There is a background noise in the universe. It is variously described as residual noise from the big bang, or as the sum of all the noise from astronomical events (quasars, revolving black holes, etc.). What ever the source, it is pretty consistent in level: -173 dBm for a 1Hz received bandwidth, at least on Earth.

Any local space events that cause radio noise (like coronal discharges from the sun) will be above that baseline noise level, making it possible to pick them up with radios.

This is an interesting topic, but trying to identify the sources of each component of noise is a lot like trying to identify an individual persons clapping while 100,000 other people are also clapping.

There's a ton of radio sources in the universe, but I don't think cosmic background radiation left over from the Big Bang is what they were receiving. Trying to figure out the source after the fact will be really difficult. The one thing we know with near certainty is that the signal was not man-made. They were in no position to receive a man-made broadcast - not where they were at. The moon would have blocked it.

I wonder what frequency they received the signal on?

I always enjoyed listening to the shortwave radio as a kid. The amazing variety of sounds you can hear are endless. I'm surprised someone hasn't put out a sample library of them yet.

I know of cases where people have used samples from things like numbers stations and the like, or inserted white noise / static on a recording for effect.

• Members

We use high frequency radio waves as carriers and modulate them with lower frequency audio signals. We build equipment to detect and amplify these modulations. Our equimpemt will also pickup other radio frequency waves and detect any modulation that happens to be in the audio range. We then compare that "audio" to sounds we have heard before and we call it music.

• Members

First thing I thought reading the first 'graphs of the article I read on this with the astronauts' descriptions was intermodulation distortion.

Perhaps not oddly, the last paragraph of the story mentioned that later scientists exploring other, similar patterned sounds finally determined that IM generated by interference from multiple noise sources was the cause.

• Members

I try to include other revelations - alien base, JPL videoshopping, and the very real danger (pronouced N.O.Y.D.B.) of that frontier and I come up with ok;

They're faking the footage because it's obviously unrevealable to the earthlings but alluding to strange transmissions adds credibility to an actual mission having taken place and all the astronauts have to do is dumb it by the numbers.

• Members

On a semi-related topic...my dad consulted to NASA. Whenever he saw conspiracy theories that NASA was hiding evidence of extraterrestrial life, his answer was that NASA would have given anything to have evidence of same, because that way they could have gotten a bigger budget. :)

• Members

I used to listen to allot of ham radio on the shortwave bands. The voice transmissions usually needed a BFO on the receiver to tune the voices in. I didn't have an actual ham radio, just a receiver so the vocals were often mangled when you heard them. I'm surprised they haven't come out with an effect pedal to create those weird alien like vocals.

I used to listen to Morse code allot too when I was working on getting my First Class FCC license so I could work in the Broadcast industry. I was able to read Morse at a fairly slow rate. Some of the people out there could transmit well beyond my comprehension.

When I started getting into music all those dots and dashes I had learned came in handy. I still use them allot playing guitar. I've done many rhythm parts where I'll spell out words using my guitar strums or picking guitar note patterns.

I always thought it would be a real hoot to play in a band that could communicate via Morse playing musical patterns during a performance. You can come up with some excellent beats stringing letter together and you'd have people scratching their heads on how a band can pull things off if they work as a team using that communication.

Archived