Has anyone used/heard the new Yamaha CBR monitors? CBR12s?

• Members

Hello all - I've used this forum as a valuable reference for years, but this is the first time I've posted.

After years of playing in other people's bands, I am looking to purchase my own PA and have been looking at choices for monitors or mains to go with a secondhand Yamaha EMX 5016CF that I'm close to buying from a bandmate who is downsizing. The current project I will be using the equipment for is a 4-piece classic country (75%) / swing (15%) / classic rock (10%) cover band (multiple vocals, acoustic and electric guitars, bass, drums, hopefully adding pedal steel and/or keys in the future).

We have been borrowing a small PA. The lender needs their equipment back soon, so I need at minimum two speakers for rehearsal. I plan to grab some more, if and when the need arises to have our own full gig PA. So enough background, I was interested in the Yamaha BR12 or the SM12V / S112V. These are in the 300W program arena and run $250-$350 new. I could also grab some used from Gtr Ctr for $100-150 each.

(Side question - is it foolish to buy used PA speakers?)

But then I saw that Yamaha recently came out with a couple of brand new lines of live sound monitors, including the CBR12 (350W PGM, $325), and I'm wondering if I should cut to the chase and grab those instead, or wait to worry about those until I need some mains, and do the SM12Vs for now. On the plus side, plastic cabinet makes them noticeably lighter and more portable. Has anybody heard these, or do you have any plastic speakers that you just love?This may be a misconception or a prejudice of mine, but I am really partial to wood-type cabs as opposed to plastic (which the CBRs are). I am concerned about the tone, and sometimes plastic or especially metal speaker cabs sound harsh to me. Is this a relevant concern or just a superstition? Price-wise they are also a bit higher than the other options I'm considering. Any thoughts?

Archived