Work in progress thread

Mark L

• Members

Have you recorded any ideas that haven't yet become fully-fledged songs? Or maybe you're re-working old stuff and you've recorded bits of it, but don't quite know what to do next

This sort of thing interests me and I'm sure will be of interest to a few (if not more) peeps on here

I'll kick off with this. In 1985 I was in a band called The Aseity. We recorded a 5-track demo in a 'proper' studio. Imagine that! Since the 30th anniversary of this momentous occasion has just passed (and I was feeling nostalgic) I thought I'd have a go at recording my own version of one of the songs we did

Just drums, bass and piano so far. Things peter out towards the end. I've yet do decide what to do regarding further instrumentation, vocals etc.

Let This Be Our Anthem (Work in progress)

• Members

I can`t even begin to tell you how many songs I have written that are still unfinished. Hundreds…

I usually go back into my song lyric books and hard drives every few years and throw away many ideas that either don`t hold my interest or are pure crap.

A funny thing I have noticed is that I hardly write lyrics any more unless I have a melody rattling in my head. Not sure if its a phase I`m going through but it has really helped me to narrow in on songs and have a laser like focus…

• Members
I can`t even begin to tell you how many songs I have written that are still unfinished. Hundreds…

Yeah me too. Some songs can be written and finished in a day or even hours, and then there are those we've been writing for years.

• Members

I think you have diamond in the rough there Mark. Don't like the last 30 seconds though..But that's just my opinion and I certainly don't have your grasp on where you want this to go. Everything preceding that is truly good and cool. very-happy.png.197c47f720636f02390cc2b0a33804da.png' alt='smiley-veryhappy'>

• Members

I usually go back into my song lyric books and hard drives every few years and throw away many ideas that either don`t hold my interest or are pure crap.

A funny thing I have noticed is that I hardly write lyrics any more unless I have a melody rattling in my head. Not sure if its a phase I`m going through but it has really helped me to narrow in on songs and have a laser like focus…

It can be quite scary looking through old song books. Like you, I have a ton of songs that I never got round to recording. Some of them are passable and others are shockingly bad :D

• Members
I think you have diamond in the rough there Mark. Don't like the last 30 seconds though..But that's just my opinion and I certainly don't have your grasp on where you want this to go. Everything preceding that is truly good and cool. very-happy.png.197c47f720636f02390cc2b0a33804da.png' alt='smiley-veryhappy'>

I've added a bit more to it, mate. Organ in the choruses and some strings in the coda: LTBOA (3)

And here's the demo we recorded in '85. I'm on guitar, Bill's on bass, Mick's on drums, and Dave's on vocals: Let This Be Our Anthem (Aseity demo)

• Members

I've got hundreds of works in progress. I started in high school by placing a cassette tape recorder on top of the piano. Lots of lost tapes of myself and bands that I played with over the years that I wish I had now.

I've got about ten years of computer stuff in various stages of development. Of course I plan on finishing everything when I can find the time. The problem is I will get excited about a new idea and start working on it before I've finished the older ones.

Yeah me too. Some songs can be written and finished in a day or even hours, and then there are those we've been writing for years.

I wrote a bridge to a song last week that I started working on about six or seven years ago. Last year I wrote a bridge to a song I started working on in about 1979. The b section I didn't write until about ten years ago. Two other songs from about 1979 or so I've recently rearranged and wrote new parts for in the last few years.

• Members
I've got hundreds of works in progress. I started in high school by placing a cassette tape recorder on top of the piano. Lots of lost tapes of myself and bands that I played with over the years that I wish I had now.

I've got about ten years of computer stuff in various stages of development. Of course I plan on finishing everything when I can find the time. The problem is I will get excited about a new idea and start working on it before I've finished the older ones.

I wrote a bridge to a song last week that I started working on about six or seven years ago. Last year I wrote a bridge to a song I started working on in about 1979. The b section I didn't write until about ten years ago. Two other songs from about 1979 or so I've recently rearranged and wrote new parts for in the last few years.

Ah, there's the rub. Time. There's just not enough of it

Archived