Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adam Levine on record labels - no one knows what they're doing...

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adam Levine on record labels - no one knows what they're doing...

I thought this article was interesting. Seems like at least some of the judges on the popular TV program The Voice are frustrated that the label involved (UMG, IIRC) isn't doing more with the artists. Which seems weird to me since they're not having to pay for the early marketing and development, and they've already got a market of people who were interested enough in the singers to vote them through to the end.

http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2015/...yre-doing.html

Are the labels really so clueless and incompetent that they can't do anything with an artist, even when everything is pre-researched, pre-developed, a market created, and the project is handed to them on a silver platter? Sure seems that way...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
    - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
    - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
    - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

I was having this discussion two weeks ago with a young female singer I have known since she was 8. She's now in her 1st year of college, studying audio engineering but she also writes her own tunes, and wants to eventually produce. She was asking me what she should do. I told her, "I honestly don`t know what the best approach is now. But if I were you, I would definitely have a YT channel and put up a short 4-5 minute video every week with behind the scenes stuff like you writing or recording or just chilling out with friends. Start there and build up a fan base and ask them to share your videos with others."

I think labels are sort of in the same waters… they simply don`t know what is working anymore as far as marketing is concerned and actually selling a record for profit.

I think we can all agree that it starts with raw talent and then developing that talent but once you have a product to actually sell, how does anyone go about it in a proven model? I don`t think anyone has the answer to the question right now.

Comment

I'm not even sure about the YT thing, it seems the way to get followers is to do something outrageous. When just about every piece of music since the dawn of time is on there, why would anyone want to listen to yours?

Indeed, the industry is in such a state of flux it's hard to know what to recommend. I think the way it will shake out is everything will go to two-tier streaming, free and paid. The paid section will "develop" new talent by letting them post there, not by financing their development. Artists would have money distributed to them similarly to the way ASCAP works.
      The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton View Post
        I'm not even sure about the YT thing, it seems the way to get followers is to do something outrageous. When just about every piece of music since the dawn of time is on there, why would anyone want to listen to yours?
        And therein lies the problem. You're not just competing with the best songs of the day/era like you used to, but all the best songs from the entire history of recorded music. The Internet made everything available, and people tend to want to hear the best stuff - and with everything just a couple of mouse clicks or finger taps away, it makes it hard for new stuff to break through. I used to wonder if we'd reach the point where people finally tired of the old stuff and started demanding something new en masse, but now I'm not so sure that's going to happen - at least I'm starting to doubt it will in my lifetime. I think the more likely scenario is that some things will break through the noise, become popular and get added to that great big archive of popular listening material (example - Pharrell's Happy), but the catalog itself will remain important for quite a while, with advertisers and movies reviving and re-using songs from it in a lot of instances instead of using new material.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
        - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton View Post

Indeed, the industry is in such a state of flux it's hard to know what to recommend. I think the way it will shake out is everything will go to two-tier streaming, free and paid. The paid section will "develop" new talent by letting them post there, not by financing their development. Artists would have money distributed to them similarly to the way ASCAP works.
          I think the trick with getting a YT channel started is to stay current and do some covers just to get some subscribers. For example, right not the biggest song is Adeles "Hello" so I would do a cover of that so the title of that video would be: "Adeles Hello (Cover)" because many people are going to type "Adele Hello" when they do a search so you`ll most likely get some traffic and I for one am one of those people who would click on it and listen.

The truth is, we`re all clueless. The internet has in a way put us back into the stone age. We`re all trying to figure out where we`re going to get our next meal from. This is a major problem and no one has successfully come up with a solution that works across the board. Pre-internet we made albums, performed, and sold our albums. Easy.

Not anymore. The world has completely changed and so has the model of making $$$.

Obviously for the touring musician/band, the model is still the same but they too are not selling many hard copies.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
            I used to wonder if we'd reach the point where people finally tired of the old stuff and started demanding something new en masse, but now I'm not so sure that's going to happen - at least I'm starting to doubt it will in my lifetime.
            As NBC used to say in their promos, "If you haven't seen it before, it's new to you!" All you have to do is count the number of teenagers who wear Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin T-shirts...case closed. That music is somewhat timeless, and is constantly being exposed to new generations. As you say, some breakouts will enter that vast body of music, but it will be increasingly difficult to improve on material that's been vetted for, well in the case of say Bach, centuries.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!

Comment

Which is why I've decided to diversify

People might not want to listen to my songs, but they sure as hell want to watch some extreme sock-puppet violence!

my tunes

Comment

Originally posted by Mark L View Post
                Which is why I've decided to diversify

People might not want to listen to my songs, but they sure as hell want to watch some extreme sock-puppet violence!

Your post points to another "issue" that I have been discussing for some time and that is, the Internet has created very short attention spans.

Unless your song has hooks every few seconds, you`re doomed. And you my friend, are doomed.

btw- after 4 seconds, I wanted to fast forward that video because I was getting impatient.

Comment

[...] The Voice judge and Maroon 5 lead singer Adam Levine [...]
                  I had to stop reading right there because I couldn't see the screen from the floor where I'd fallen, rolling around laughing.

They use an Auto-Tune band vocalist as a judge on a singing show?
                  Last edited by blue2blue; 12-10-2015, 09:36 PM.

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

What is the label supposed to do with a glorified karaoke singer?

Comment

Originally posted by Zooey View Post
                      What is the label supposed to do with a glorified karaoke singer?
                      Are all singers who are not also songwriters "glorified karaoke singers"? What about someone like Barbra Streisand or Linda Ronstadt? Is there any place or room for them in today's music world?

- George Carlin

Comment

Speaking very abstractly here I don't think doing covers and coming on the scene as a regular guy/gal has ever worked. What the industry has lost is the art of mystery and intrigue. People want something from "Somewhere else." "Familiarity breeds contempt" is really a paraphrase of Christ's words, “A prophet is not without honor, except in his hometown and among his relatives and in his own household.” So appear to come out of a fog or another planet. The last thing you want to do is be just one of the guys. Even the music itself is secondary to the perception people have of something new and exciting from a person or a group that is mysterious and somewhat out of reach. So it's not only the availability of all the music under the sun that comes into play here, but also the over accessibility to the artist. The super stars of the past when record labels knew how to make super stars were above and out of reach of the masses.
                        Last edited by Beck; 12-16-2015, 12:13 PM.
                        <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

“Music is well said to be the speech of angels... nothing among the utterances allowed to man is felt to be so divine."

~Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Originally posted by Beck View Post
                          Speaking very abstractly here I don't think doing covers and coming on the scene as a regular guy/gal has ever worked. What the industry has lost is the art of mystery and intrigue. People want something from "Somewhere else." "Familiarity breeds contempt" is really a paraphrase of Christ's words, “A prophet is not without honor, except in his hometown and among his relatives and in his own household.” So appear to come out of a fog or another planet. The last thing you want to do is be just one of the guys. Even the music itself is secondary to the perception people have of something new and exciting from a person or a group that is mysterious and somewhat out of reach. So it's not only the availability of all the music under the sun that comes into play here, but also the over accessibility to the artist. The super stars of the past when record labels knew how to make super stars were above and out of reach of the masses.
                          I agree with a lot of that Beck. I just don`t know how possible it is to create mystique today with all the social media.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest Buckley View Post

I agree with a lot of that Beck. I just don`t know how possible it is to create mystique today with all the social media.
                            Take a look at Star Wars. They have everyone on the edge of their seat. In large part because they build up till the release date, and don't let everything out of the bag too soon. And the movie business is almost as bad as the music business
                            The Mandolin Picker

"Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

Are all singers who are not also songwriters "glorified karaoke singers"? What about someone like Barbra Streisand or Linda Ronstadt? Is there any place or room for them in today's music world?
                              I dunno. Frank Sinatra is mighty popular this week (his 100th birthday, I think) and he didn't write his own material. He had a great band, great arrangements, and good material. He also put on a good show and had plenty of publicity - both good and bad. He didn't need to be a writer, too.
                              --
                              "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
                              Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

Working...
                              X