SSS Exclusive: Listen to my new album "Neo-"

Anderton

• Members

I've posted the "release candidate" album to YouTube, using unlisted links...this is only place they're being published.

If the famed "SSS Production Squad" has any comments before I wrap this project up for good, that would be most appreciated...my main concern is the opening song. Because all the songs are different, whatever I put first is going to give the wrong idea of what the album is all about :) I went with "New Day" but welcome other suggestions.

I also want to express my sincere gratitude to all of you who contributed comments for the original songs as I was doing them. The SSS Production Squad made the album much better than it would have been without those comments. However, you'll also notice that most songs have been improved further to fit into an album context...so even if you heard all the songs before, the overall experience is VERY different now.

The album is assembled into two "sides." Each side is one continuous flow without any spaces between songs. I created some quickie liner notes so you can see which song is playing if you're curious about titles and such. There is no accompanying video. I plan to do another version with the same music, but with videos.

Here's the first side...

[video=youtube_share;yMq5IkG0a4g]

And here's the second side.

[video=youtube_share;Nsyn-i-LR2o]

I hope you enjoy it! I think this is my best work to date, but I always think that after finishing something :) And of course, if anyone has any questions on the techniques used in the album, feel free to ask. I'm also curious if there are any songs people particularly like or don't like, but mostly I just hope you enjoy the results...

• Members

SIDE 1

'New Day' is an appropriate opener. The word 'new' in the title of the first track on an album can't be anything but a good idea

I like the new version of 'I Want My Heaven Now', and the way it leads into 'Catch Me, I'm Dreaming' is very inventive. I really like CMID, probably my fave cut on side 1

The feeling of impending doom on 'When The Grid Goes Down' is nicely enhanced by the mouth-organ and the industrial-sounding drums. Good guitar solo, too

'Daughter' is a very heart-felt song. Sweet lyric. Love the synth

'Maladie Du Coeur' is a bit of an oddity. It doesn't help that I don't speak French. Cleverly-done, though. Some very nice instrumentation. That guitar in the last few seconds of the song sounds gorgeous

SIDE 2

'Have Just A Little Faith' has a definite 'When The Levée Breaks' vibe. Nice bit of slide work

Love the guitar sound on 'On Mars'. The vibe on this song screams desolation, especially on those parts where the bass disappears

'Little Pieces' is a good follow-up track to 'On Mars'. Similar feeling of unease. Industrial-sounding. Great guitar solo

Nice segué into 'Only Ever After You'. In fact this song is a bit of light relief from the brutal (in a good way) aural assault of 'Little Pieces'. Not wishing to blow smoke up your arse, but I really like your version of my song

And then the mood becomes lighter still on 'I Say Yes'. An upbeat feel-good tune (for the most part) and a good album-closer

Ha ha! Like the applause. Bring him back on! I've always liked your version of 'Black Market Daydreams' and in context with the rest of the album, it's a good choice for the encore. The album starts psychedelically and finishes the same way

CONCLUSION

It works for me smile.png

• Members

Thanks for the comments, Mark. So if you think the song order is okay...that works for me :)

A few background tidbits: "Have Just a Little Faith" does sound kind of Zepish, doesn't it? I think it's the drums. That was also the first song using the CA-X amp sims I designed for Cakewalk so I went a little overboard on making it guitar-centric. However, "When the Grid Goes Down" was a blatant attempt to update the message of "When the Levee Breaks" in a more modern context, and somewhere along the line it kind of cross-pollinated with "Life During Wartime."

I really debated about doing a song in a foreign language, especially one that's such an obvious ripoff of Netherlands Antilles-type music, which is why it's stuck on the end of "Side 1." I tried to translate the lyrics into English but they just didn't work. FYI - the guitar sound at the end is multiband distortion. I really need to turn you on to that technique now that you have a DAW.

I'm still concerned people will take the applause wrong...but at least you got the intended humor.

I appreciate the feedback, because I am going to duplicate some actual CDs and it would be a drag if after running off a bunch of them, everyone said "Why on earth did you start off with 'New Day'? What's wrong with you?"

• Members

I've just been having another, closer listen to both sides to see if the running order really does work

New Day is definitely the best song to begin the album, in my opinion. It's a statement of intent – 'new phase in my recording career, new album, new day!'

Daughter is a good antidote to the heaviness of When The Grid Goes Down

I'm coming round to Maladie Du Coeur. I don't understand a word of it but it's a neat, upbeat way to end side one. Paul Simon would be proud of that bassline...

Have Just A Little Faith is a good, strong opener for side two

I love that three-note phrase that permeates Little Pieces. Sounds like a synth or treated guitar

Only Ever After You is in the right place, as are I Say Yes and Black Market Daydreams

Overall I can't argue with the running order you've chosen. It makes aural sense and nothing seems to jar. I wouldn't change it, but you've only had my opinion so far

Edit: Just one thing. If it were up to me I'd let I Say Yes finish before starting the applause. It sounds as though the song segués into the applause and it doesn't sound entirely natural. Apart from that everything is hunky-dory :)

• Members

Since you are openly asking for opinions,Thought I'd offer some from a thoroughly Non-Professional amateur. Me.

First...I think you have made your Sgt. Pepper's. I could not give any higher praise than that. The album is a linear piece of ear candy.

"New Day": Great way to open the album. So many great textures..The Sitar like phrases, the backwards sounding guitar..Great song

"I want my heaven now": Dovetails perfectly with New Day. Wonderful slide work, and the "Heavenly" ending, while I thought was too long, wasn't given the way it goes into "Catch me I'm Dreaming". Perfect segue!

"Catch me I'm Dreaming": More great guitar work...The lyrics really shine on this one. GREAT solo guitar tones!

"When the Grid Goes Down": DAMN this is a fine song! Heavy in all the right spots and that Harp just really seasons things up nicely. Man I LOVE this song! Just a Killer groove!

"Daughter": A beautiful and poignant ballad. Beautiful lyrics and great singing craig

"Maladie Le Couer" It's a charming song. Very up and danceable. Don't understand a word but I don't need to. The bass on this is particularly terrific!

"Have Just a Little Faith": Wow. Right out of the chute I was thinking "Queen"! fantastic slide work Craig! You sure you ain't part Southern Boy? Love it, just love it!

"On Mars" I reserve the right to self-correct but this is my favorite track so far. I love the Juno sounding intro, the subject matter and feeling of desolation, isolation. Great Harp again! The main thing? This song reminds me of No Other Song. Absolutely unique to my ears.

"Little Pieces": The whole lyric, the theme of Digital..what..Thrombosis? The feeling of losing yourself in little pieces to the machines that you work with and live through. It's really a timeless theme. FANTASTIC solo! "I feel life through an amplifier but can't control the gain" Damn that's a great line!

"Only ever after you": Great cover of a great song by a great songwriter!

"I Say Yes": This is a great straight up rocker, great guitars. I was really getting a Matthew Sweet type vibe from it. I love the applause and how it dovetails into "Black Market"

"Black Market Daydreams": One of Mark's best and a great way to close the album! Great guitar work!

I'd buy a copy of it!

Great work Craig, Great work!

• Members

This album seems to me to be a magnum opus. It has a great balance of composing, performance and mixing art, all with great polish.

Beyond the sonic and melodic aspects are the message and emotional content of the music, which both steer one toward a positive view. This is pretty welcome in a time when music, movies, and media in general seem to be looking forward to a distopian future.

Excellent work. Let me know when copies are available to buy please.

• Members

Amazing work Craig. Just listened to Side A. The overall feel/song order of Side A works for me.

I do like your voice on most of the songs but the tone you used for "New Day" and "Catch Me", it doesn`t work for me but good tunes. I`m also a bit fussy when it comes to vocals, being a vocalist myself. "When The Grid Goes Down" remains one of my favorite tunes because of the vibe and the contrast of sounds going on there. I also like your vocals here the most and love the harmonica.

I really enjoyed the interludes between songs. Love the synth work on Daughters but not crazy about that electric piano sound. I would go with something more classic like a piano.

Outstanding guitar work on every tune.

Lastly, the mastering is very tastefully done.

On to Side B!

• Members

See how convenient it is to have two sides? You can go catch a movie, take a vacation, surf the internet, or whatever between sides, knowing that each one has a certain internal consistency and takes you to a different place, The second side starts light, gets dark, and ends super-light...so it's different from side 1's momentary lapse into darkness when the grid goes down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
"Maladie Le Couer" It's a charming song. Very up and danceable. Don't understand a word but I don't need to. The bass on this is particularly terrific!

Well since you and Mark mentioned having no idea what the words mean, here's a translation...it's better in French, that's why I sang it that way.

Illness of the Heart

I wasn’t feeling well...not a sore throat, not a headache, I wasn’t sure what.

Had to find a doctor who could tell me what was going on.

He had a sad look, then he said, “There’s nothing I can do...

“It’s a common problem, and I think that my answer will displease you.”

“What is it?” I asked. “Answer me...I demand that you tell me.

“Do you know what the problem is? If it’s serious...tell me anyway.”

He gave a big sigh, and then he began to laugh.

“Hey my friend, it’s forbidden to prescribe for an illness of the heart.

“There is no medicine that can ever make you better, that’s for sure.

“Only love can cure an illness of the heart.

“Just relax, enjoy women, and my advice to you is - don’t be afraid.”

• Members

LOL! Wow Craig! This song is basically "Good Lovin'" by The Young Rascals!

I envy your bi lingual gifts. It's cool how it rhymes and kinda rhymes in English as well. Took some thinkin' to do that.

Can't promise that I'll ever visualize the lyrics when I listen though..;)

Archived