So Whatever Happened to the Ukulele Bubble?

Anderton

• Members

A couple years ago they were the hottest thing going...ukulele method books were flying off the shelves, as were ukuleles. There sure seemed to be a lot fewer of them at Summer NAMM, though...I wonder if by this point everyone who wanted a ukulele has one, or whether interest has waned.

Which brings up another question - how many here have a ukulele, and how many play it? I have one from Lag guitars, and I must admit it's fun to pick up every now and then and walk around playing it. Almost as portable as a harmonica :) I have yet to use it on any recordings, though...maybe someday.

• Members

Don't know about the USA, but here in the UK it seemed (and still seems) that every other TV advert had a ukelele-accompanied singer as background music. It actually caused me to hate ukelele music

That and gratuitous beard-wearing are two fads I'll be glad to see the back of!

Yours,

Annoyed of Bolton ;)

• Members

I'd had my eye on the Yamaha Guitalele in the MF mailout catalogs -- but it was a hundred bucks. Late last spring, though, I saw this (below) advertised somewhere, collected my spare change together, and bought the Hohner for Kids 1/2 size 6 string ("for toddlers" as Amazon puts it) ... $43 to my door. I currently play it more than any of my other guitars. It's not a fine instrument, but it's not bad. Intonation is not bad -- although with a standard set of classical strings, the 3rd string (nylon) gets sharp faster than desirable. I'm going to experiment with some other gauges.

Oh, and those with large fingers may want to keep looking... ;)

61fmbfmd9BL._SY355_.jpg

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/hohner-hag-250p-1-2-size-parlor-acoustic-guitar [currently out of stock but widely available about the same price; Amazon]

• Members

Ukelele does not have an endearing sound.The question would have been better posed if that was the context.

I do not like the instrument at all. There's much ado about the method of holding it, playing it and even a near-audible plea for embracing it as a real instrument. Enough already. It sounds like a toy, is sized like a toy and even the music is forgettable within seconds of the last note played in complete absence of resonance and sustain. Those who've mastered in appear to be stroking their favorite lap pet when in play. Finally - yes, I'll end this - I find no consolence for the instrument despite its promotion by otherwise sentient people.

• Members

I like the harp like quality of the upper registers. Even before I bought my 1/2 size (tuned up a 4th -- although I tune all my guitars down a half step), I was capoing up to the fifth fret, I was looking for a different sound from my finger work. The 1/2 size brings that and is easier to play than the Spanish made D-necked classical I've been using lately.

And, man, you can get just about an extra two frets of stretch. ;)

• Members

I bought a baritone uke about 5 years ago. I'm a pianist but it the uke is nice to take along on a vacation or a family gathering. The baritone uke can be tuned to the highest 4 strings of the guitar so any youbue video on playing some blues song will translate to the fretboard. I really haven't understood when I see ukes advertised they often do NOT offer baritones. Seems like the guiitar public would like them.

I don't do that uke strumming thing. I pluck the strings. I did a 2 part Silent Night last Christmas.

• Members
I'd say that, generally speaking, the uke is best suited to those with a sense of whimsy.

I was never the biggest fan of this song -- but this guy really lights it up from the inside, I think...

It's easy to just laugh off ukulele players as some kind of novelty thing, but this player really connects with the instrument. I find it impressive but also expressive...so sue me. I guess every genre has some practitioners who rise above the crowd.

[video=youtube;vYiFb5ODZjs]

Here he is again, a times this almost sounds like a cross between dulcimer, harp, and nylon-string guitar..and then he tears into some leads..

[video=youtube;mljFr7yuYzk]

I like the tone this guy gets out of his leads..

[video=youtube;hKpk9SO7iLM]

And this dude obviously practices a lot...

[video=youtube;ZOApij_slhs]

Never heard it in a classical guitar context before...

[video=youtube;eBEeBZSBHLw]

• Members
Ukelele does not have an endearing sound.The question would have been better posed if that was the context.

I do not like the instrument at all. There's much ado about the method of holding it, playing it and even a near-audible plea for embracing it as a real instrument. Enough already. It sounds like a toy, is sized like a toy and even the music is forgettable within seconds of the last note played in complete absence of resonance and sustain. Those who've mastered in appear to be stroking their favorite lap pet when in play. Finally - yes, I'll end this - I find no consolence for the instrument despite its promotion by otherwise sentient people.

I'm sure that there are "High End" versions of this instrument, and the video that Blue put up illustrates the "happy" sound that this instrument has. How can you not like an instrument with such a peaceful sound?

Dan

• Members

I have a tenor uke and play it. My father in law is Hawai'ian so Hawai'ian music is big at our house. He plays and sings as well so we have some nice authentic Hawai'ian music performances at holiday times. Good stuff. (My father was Portuguese so I always must remind him that it was the Portuguese who invented the instrument and brought it to Hawai'i, of course...)

The guitarist in my band is a luthier and a couple of years ago went into making and selling ukes big time. Also offering classes to people on how to build their own uke. As far as I know he's still doing really well with it, although maybe the craze has subsided a bit recently?

Obviously it isn't going to last forever.

• Members

It's easy to just laugh off ukulele players as some kind of novelty thing, but this player really connects with the instrument. I find it impressive but also expressive...so sue me. I guess every genre has some practitioners who rise above the crowd.

[video=youtube;vYiFb5ODZjs]

[...]

Jake is very, what we used to call, musical. ;)

Don't know about the USA, but here in the UK it seemed (and still seems) that every other TV advert had a ukelele-accompanied singer as background music. It actually caused me to hate ukelele music

That and gratuitous beard-wearing are two fads I'll be glad to see the back of!

Yours,

Annoyed of Bolton ;)

Hipster hater. :mad2:;)

Jake Shimabukuro's just a great musician - the instrument he plays is really irrelevant to that IMO.

As far as the OP, no, I don't own a uke - I've considered buying one, but just haven't gotten around to it. I would want a larger sized uke though - something like a baritone or tenor. I think a soprano would be too small for my tastes, both tonally and in terms of potential intonation and tuning issues that I might find too annoying.

As far as method books and instructional materials, would a fairly competent guitarist really need a bunch of that to get going on uke? I would have thought most players could transition fairly easily to uke.

There was still plenty of ukuleles on display at last winter's NAMM, but we'll see what happens there this time around. The big question in my mind is - if the ukes are all gone, then what is going to replace them and fill all that booth space? I guess we'll have to wait and see. :snax:

• Members

It's a great couch potato instrument. I bought one for my granddaughter when she was nine. I decided that if I was going to teach her, I'd better learn, so I got a concert sized one myself. Since I started on nylon strings, and still play a classic more than half the time, it was not too hard to assimilate. Transposing is not much of a chore for me, either, as I still play some trumpet. Sad to say, my granddaughter got the early chops, then, like my own kids, lost interest. She still can play a C-Am-F-G7 progression, which is super easy.

• Members
Jake Shimabukuro's just a great musician - the instrument he plays is really irrelevant to that IMO.

As far as the OP, no, I don't own a uke - I've considered buying one, but just haven't gotten around to it. I would want a larger sized uke though - something like a baritone or tenor. I think a soprano would be too small for my tastes, both tonally and in terms of potential intonation and tuning issues that I might find too annoying.

As far as method books and instructional materials, would a fairly competent guitarist really need a bunch of that to get going on uke? I would have thought most players could transition fairly easily to uke.

There was still plenty of ukuleles on display at last winter's NAMM, but we'll see what happens there this time around. The big question in my mind is - if the ukes are all gone, then what is going to replace them and fill all that booth space? I guess we'll have to wait and see. snax.gif

I do have a little novelty uke but it's pretty unplayable. But I took my 3/4 size guitar and removed the two bass strings around 4 or 5 years ago for 4 or 5 months, and it was interesting. I'd capo it up and it would sound fairly-kinda uke-like. You have to rethink how you play things a bit to get a root line in there (I almost called it a 'bass' line biggrin.gif ) but that's probably good for you.

But what I decided I really wanted was a small 6 string instrument. I've almost always had some kind of 'beach' guitar (or two) and particularly liked smaller instruments for such duty. A 3/4 is nice (and easier on the ol' bursitis, it that's what this right shoulder thing is), but a half-size will fit in a knapsack (with neck sticking out, maybe) and you can play it in tight spots (like a car -- though it would likely fall under contemporary distracted driver laws so best to reserve it for passenger use wink.png ). I also like the tinky, 'toy' sound (a lot like a uke) -- and, of course, it gives me the chance to see what life might have been like if I'd been born with the spider-fingers of a few of my guitar heroes. (Those heroes with the stubby little fingers shorter than mine -- or that show-off Django biggrin.gif -- I don't even want to talk about it.)

• Members
It's a great couch potato instrument. I bought one for my granddaughter when she was nine. I decided that if I was going to teach her' date=' I'd better learn, so I got a concert sized one myself. Since I started on nylon strings, and still play a classic more than half the time, it was not too hard to assimilate. Transposing is not much of a chore for me, either, as I still play some trumpet. Sad to say, my granddaughter got the early chops, then, like my own kids, lost interest. She still can play a C-Am-F-G7 progression, which is super easy.[/quote']

Switch it around from I-vi-IV-V to I-V-vi-IV and she can be playing maybe 4/5 of the songs on the top of the pops (at least the ones that actually have chords biggrin.gif ).

• Members

Uh-oh...now you're in REAL trouble. You have revealed the secret identity of Jim DeCola, master luthier at Gibson USA.

fetch?id=31650142

This is the same Jim DeCola who defeated the Wall of Death at the Frankfurt Musikmesse in 2014.

Bieke, as a long-time participant at Harmony Central, I will do what I can to protect you...but even my powers may not be a match for Lex Luthier. I urge you to start wearing a disguise immediately. Maybe even move to Mozambique or some other place out of his reach...for now.

Archived