What did you do before the internet came along?

Mark L

• Members

My son and I were talking about this yesterday on a slight tangent. I'll start a thread to cover the tangent and not derail this thread - to answer your question:

I don't spend all that much time directly on the internet in the sense of social media. I do stream music (instead of the old ways), movies (instead of renting VHS tapes), and I download most books I read now (instead of cramming yet more books all over the house).

Email I spend a lot of time with doing business stuff as it's both communication and documentation simultaneously. Before - it was phone calls, memo pads with hand-written notes, word processors to type up letters, paper forms to fill out by hand, photocopy, file in physical files, etc etc - VERY time and space consuming.

The part of the internet that still excites me is the quick availability of information, hands-down. This point segues into the thread I'll start.

Good question....

nat whilk ii

• Members
I did a lot more reading of books and magazines. I still read books occasionally' date=' but I read a lot fewer magazines than I used to.[/quote']

I'm kind of the exact opposite, I still read magazines but not books like I used to. When I say that I talking about the subject at hand, music and music production.

• Members

I`m not sure if I can or should blame this on the internet but I spent more time recording music. Having internet access in my studio is a distraction at times. Just this morning, I was recording vocals for an hour straight and took a break… checked my work emails. It was good to get away but I didn`t move… I was in the same seat. So I definitely moved more and I definitely recorded more before the internet.

This is a big problem for me…. I tend to spend 3-4 hours in a stationary position because everything I need for work is on the computer. I need to get up every 45 minutes, do some stretching, pushups, jumping jacks…

I`m not a big fan of reading articles online so I definitely don`t read more like most of you are reporting. I still prefer handheld magazines and books. I definitely watch more documentaries though. I love YT for that reason.

This is a big problem for me…. I tend to spend 3-4 hours in a stationary position because everything I need for work is on the computer. I need to get up every 45 minutes, do some stretching, pushups, jumping jacks…

I think it's a big problem for a lot of people - myself included. I also try to get up and stretch / walk around a bit every few hours. Sitting at your desk nonstop for hours at a time is apparently really bad for your health, at least according to the latest research I've read on the matter.

• Members

I read a lot more. I played a lot more. I watched a lot more television as well though. I definitely interact more with others with the Internet. Which is kind of sad I guess. I'm a shy type though. The web supplies a bit of a screen for me I suppose.

• Members

I used to spent a lot more time in bookstores because I liked to check out the latest issues of the music mags. I also used to read "Time" and "Newsweek" and "U.S. News and World Report" but I almost never look at those anymore unless I'm in a waiting room getting my oil changed or something. I still occasionally stop by Barnes and Noble to see what's out there with the music mags and books but not like I used to.

I used to read more newspapers. I still read the Atlanta Journal Constitution every day but by the time it comes in the morning I've already seen most of it on the Internet. But I still read it everyday while drinking my coffee. Something about holding a newspaper that can't be replicated by looking at a screen.

I pretty much don't watch television anymore. I still have an old CRT model that I turn on every couple of months or so but I can go weeks and weeks and not even think about it.

There have been periods when I spent more time playing music. Sometimes I'll think I should maybe get off the computer and go practice. But I've always had periods where I played more and periods where I played less. I've actually started playing more recently. .

• CMS Author
I was busy inventing the internet.

I was close to that. I ran a MIDI BBS and got a world-wide network started. But I didn't spend as much time on line then as I do now. I played music more, read more books and magazines (I'm now down to three magazines a month that are audio/music related and they're all really skinny), and had a day job.

• Members

Hung out at music stores to talk to other musicians.

Watched TV - I no longer have cable, antenna, nor digital converter. Although I cut the TV cable before the Internet was here, it was the microcomputer, the ability to be able to make music with this new toy, and share it via others in BBS's like Genie, Compuserve and AOL. (yep, we called desktops microcomputers back then)

Notes

• Members

I worked my ass off, gigging 7 nights a week. I went clubbing often. I traveled much more often. I worried about my own life much more, and cared (or observed) far less of what other people were thinking or doing. Nowadays I am unlikely to make, say, a statement online if I suspect that it will not be well-received; before the 'Net, I could've cared less what people thought of me. I also kept very detailed hardcopy journals of my daily thoughts and observations about... life.. music...showbiz...psychology, EVERYthing. I don't do that anymore; it seems more expedient to just post them to different 'Net Forums... like this one. very-happy.png.197c47f720636f02390cc2b0a33804da.png' alt='smiley-veryhappy'>

Music-wise, those were the days when I would lie on the floor... and listen to an album in its entirety, noting every detail in the music, lyrics and in the album cover art. I never do that anymore today. I searched---and usually found-- excellence in music; nowadays I hear so much wannabe mediocrity that I get excited only rarely by some new artist or genre. Pre-Internet, it was not yet assumed that everyone was a musician, or that everybody's contribution was equally valuable.

All this said, though, I like our current era more.

• Members

I played the guitar. I learned by listening to LPs repeatedly until I could memorize keys and chord progressions. IOW, I trained my ear well before I trained my hands and I have to say that was the best thing of that period in my musical training. Since the advent of the internet I've discovered no one wants to train their ears anymore. They want tabs and as far as I'm concerned that's counter-intuitive to the development of the ear.

But, the guitar has become less of an art form as it morphs into the table dressing for social discussion. The former requires stringent and regimented training while the latter just asks for a fixed center-piece. These forums are proof of that.

Archived